Fun Day

Talk about the Magpies. Be respectful to others, no swearing, insulting posts or libellous remarks please.

Moderators: Ian Livesey, Pete Rothwell, Moderators

Fun Day

Postby Paul Brennan » Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:41 pm

For those people who did not attend - a large majority unfortunately- this was not much fun for anyone.

The match v Aston Villa allstars did not go ahead - coach broke down on M6. There was some successful activity from diehards like the Golden Girlsand the soccer school seemed to go well but a pretty paltry attendance all told. The profits, if any, will probably be in double figures. But lessons can be learnt and at least Ken and the board were/are trying to raise funds.

One interesting participant was JV as a soccer school referee - maybe he could return if Scarborough go AWOL.
Paul Brennan
 
Posts: 1055
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:37 am
Location: Chorley

Postby Ian Livesey » Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:01 pm

Sorry to say (even though I couldn't make it due to other committments) the bad attendance was to be expected.

Total lack of advertising apart from a few lines in the Guardian and Citizen, the weather (been raining/cloudy) and the Community Shield on the TV didn't help at all.

Sorry folks, but if it's done again, it HAS TO BE DONE PROPERLY!
Ian Livesey
Site Admin
 
Posts: 5914
Joined: Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:30 am
Location: In the Press Box

Fun Day

Postby Pete Rothwell » Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:50 pm

Ian Livesey wrote:Sorry to say (even though I couldn't make it due to other committments) the bad attendance was to be expected.

Total lack of advertising apart from a few lines in the Guardian and Citizen, the weather (been raining/cloudy) and the Community Shield on the TV didn't help at all.

Sorry folks, but if it's done again, it HAS TO BE DONE PROPERLY!


I think one of the main problems was the date that was chosen - Did anyone research it prior to announcing it at the meeting? Adlington Carnival and The Community shield game didn't help.

I (like others) had other commitments today - ie getting those 'little jobs' finished the start of the football season. If anyone is interested: it was laying a patio :oops: (NO WITTY COMMENTS MR BLACKBURN)
Pete Rothwell
Site Admin
 
Posts: 913
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:51 pm
Location: Euxton

Postby mike » Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:33 pm

Today's fiasco, the non-arrival of the Aston Villa party, was beyond the control of the club. With Rock FM, Sky Sports and Danny Wallace himself there it was most embarrassing nevertheless for Ken to have to announce the late cancellation of the match. At the same time, the turn-out by our own fans was dreadful, likewise the Chorley public - half the people there were outsiders, including some who had travelled to see the Villa veterans. I cannot stress too strongly the delicate position the club is in right now. We need every one of our diehards to show up for the opening game on Saturday as a sign of commitment and then to keep on attending. We know it's a catch 22 situation with TH still owning the club and how hard it is to wring any money out of anyone in the area while a multi-millionaire is in charge - but somehow we have got to keep our heads above the waterline and the few people in positions of authority at the club are making no secret of the difficulties they are facing right now.
Could I suggest that like the cricket club we start a pound-a-week scheme ? Could we find 200 people willing to contribute one pound? Many people surely would not miss that amount and a direct debit to CFC for £13 paid quarterly would make the administration simple. It has worked at Windsor Park - why not at Victory Park ? The need is urgent.
mike
 

Postby paul m » Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:35 pm

where were all these so called chorley fans today. the supporters club, the magpies trust these so called loyal fans. what is the point trying to raise money for our club if the people who spend all week on this site moaning about things can't even show there face at a fundraising event. i can understand some people have other engagements but the turn out we got was nothing less than embarrassing.


our club is in trouble if you don't start supporting it we won't have a club.
paul m
 
Posts: 428
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:54 pm

Postby petermarkcraig » Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:56 pm

paul m wrote:where were all these so called chorley fans today. the supporters club, the magpies trust these so called loyal fans. what is the point trying to raise money for our club if the people who spend all week on this site moaning about things can't even show there face at a fundraising event. i can understand some people have other engagements but the turn out we got was nothing less than embarrassing.


our club is in trouble if you don't start supporting it we won't have a club.


The idea of events like this is to attract NEW supporters and having all the same old faces attend is achieving very little and drawing time and money from people who already contribute plenty of both.

As with so many CFC "fund raising" events in the past, the lack of advertising and the assumption amongst "organisers" that things will work out on the day is a flawed approach, and until the club plans ahead and publicises itself and it's events in an organised manner things will not improve.

If the club can't even be bothered advertising it's football games then what chance has it got of attracting people to any other events?
petermarkcraig
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1214
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:50 pm
Location: Fulham

Postby paul m » Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:21 pm

You say the same old faces but there seemed to be a lack of old faces today. out of about 60 or so that bothered to turn i new about 10.( the golden girls, nigel,bernard and a scattering of haslams). where were the supporters club members and the trust members.
i know it's the same people supporting most events but if these people stop there's nobody else.
paul m
 
Posts: 428
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:54 pm

Postby Fat Boy Slim » Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:36 pm

Well I went along to support the event, and yes it was a disappointing day.
It should be mentioned however, that the kids 5 a side competition went very well and should have raised a bit of cash and no doubt the kids all enjoyed themselves playing on the (once) hallowed turf of Victory Park. The pitch is awful, but that is another story.

So well done to the people organising this part of the event.

Ken did say that people could obviously have there money back paid on the gate, but I would imagine most people just donated this to club and then spent even more behind the bar.......Well I did anyway....



I would be interested to find the official story and the truth about what went on today with the Villa Masters team. So much for doing an old team mate a favour.
Fat Boy Slim
 
Posts: 253
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:09 pm
Location: Chorley

Fun day fiasco

Postby Ryan » Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:50 am

We (vicky and I) turned up at 2-55pm and thought we'd missed everything, it was that quiet. I saw nobody I know and spoke only to Ken Wright, Jamie V and some of the North West Villa that had turned out. Ken was QUOTE: Pissed off and embarrassed. Ken's view is this wasn't an event that was cobbled together at the last minute, but was 2-3 months in the planning. The date was really non - negotiable as this was the date the Villa team had given us, so we were left to make the most of it.

I thought it was a very, very good gesture of Jamie to attend, he didn't have to do that and I, personally, was glad of the opportunity to say goodbye, thank -you and good luck.

I know the Villa lads weren't going to ask for their money back and I also knoe they declined Ken's kind offer to buy them all a drink. So, that was a good gesture on their part. I also know Ken has told Danny Wallace that the club will make a donation to his charity.

All in all, very disappointing and embarrasing. Another nail in the coffin and sounding of the death nell.
Ryan
 
Posts: 973
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:14 pm
Location: Warrington

Re: Fun day fiasco

Postby petermarkcraig » Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:07 am

Ryan wrote:We (vicky and I) turned up at 2-55pm and thought we'd missed everything, it was that quiet. I saw nobody I know and spoke only to Ken Wright, Jamie V and some of the North West Villa that had turned out. Ken was QUOTE: Pissed off and embarrassed. Ken's view is this wasn't an event that was cobbled together at the last minute, but was 2-3 months in the planning. The date was really non - negotiable as this was the date the Villa team had given us, so we were left to make the most of it.

I thought it was a very, very good gesture of Jamie to attend, he didn't have to do that and I, personally, was glad of the opportunity to say goodbye, thank -you and good luck.

I know the Villa lads weren't going to ask for their money back and I also knoe they declined Ken's kind offer to buy them all a drink. So, that was a good gesture on their part. I also know Ken has told Danny Wallace that the club will make a donation to his charity.

All in all, very disappointing and embarrasing. Another nail in the coffin and sounding of the death nell.


Ryan.
From so far away I want to be very careful about making statements that I cannot justify, but I refer you to my comments about lack of proactiveness with regard to advertising.
Do you not agree that the club has actually always been poor at selling itself and that the poor turn out was as much to do with poor advertising as any clashes with other events?
It's no good Ken Wright and other officials and die hards knowing about an event 3 months in advance if the word isn't spread.
petermarkcraig
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1214
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:50 pm
Location: Fulham

Postby OptoMystik » Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:37 am

what teams played in the kids football tournament?
OptoMystik
 

Postby Ryan » Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:05 pm

Peter, I agree that the club has always fallen short when it comes to marketing and advertising itself and I don't what this thread to turn into a "we went and you didn't" argument.
Or to become a platform for people to say "we went give us a slap on the back"
and others to say "we didn't because...blah blah blah"

As with you, I don't live locally, but do get the Chorley Guardian and it was mentioned in there, if only briefly. However, for all that, the event wasn't even supported by Chorley supporters. Whilst I accept your argument that the day was intended to bring in new supporters and raise funds, surely the events need to be supported by the club's own supporters! I must admit, I had numerous things to do Sunday afternoon and to be totally honest I'd forgotten all about the Family Day until I heard a race meeting on the radio that was holding a family day and suddenly...ALARM BELLS started ringing (hence my late arrival).
Mike below, stresses the delicate position the club is in at present and Ken stressed to me on Sunday that people seem, largely, to be apathetic to it all. The club stated they needed £27,000 this season just to STAND STILL and thus far with money promised from the Supporters Trust and Club, Kevin Charlton and some extra money Ken has brought in they are still £10,000 short. Thats £10,000 needed to stand still!!
Again, I accept what you say, and probably, to a large extent agree, but I think the event could have been better supported from within the clubs own fan base. And lets face it, that's what this new forum is all about: Opinions and giving thereof without fear of being castigated by Mr. Pseudo Nym
Ryan
 
Posts: 973
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:14 pm
Location: Warrington

FUN DAY

Postby joe 90 » Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:30 pm

Three generations of my family went to the fun day,all supporters of chorley f.c.Two of us are season ticket holders,Three,members of the Magpie Trust.So to say where were the Chorley supporters,WELL SOME OF US WERE THERE.
joe 90
 
Posts: 302
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:13 pm
Location: CHORLEY

Re: FUN DAY

Postby petermarkcraig » Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:44 pm

joe 90 wrote:Three generations of my family went to the fun day,all supporters of chorley f.c.Two of us are season ticket holders,Three,members of the Magpie Trust.So to say where were the Chorley supporters,WELL SOME OF US WERE THERE.


Joe I don't think anyone is in any way decrying those who did attend and I for one would like to say "nice one" for making the effort.
It is however important that NEW faces start coming to VP and that is where the recruitment effort should be focussed.
petermarkcraig
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1214
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:50 pm
Location: Fulham

Postby Paul Brennan » Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:05 pm

The issue of publicity and winning over "the community" has been addressed by the Trust and many others in the past -it is not a thing the club are good at at present.

I would argue for Ken and the Board to be totally blunt with the people of Chorley and explain the dire situation in a press release.Do local people want a team, nearly 125 years old, to continue in existence?
Then encourage the Chorley Guardian, Citizen, LEP etc to get behind the club.The CFC board should respond by buying regular advertising of forthcoming matches, events etc in at least one of the papers. Maybe they would in turn sponsor a regular advert in our programme.
But ultimately it depends on people coming through the turnstiles and using the social club for CFC to survive.
Paul Brennan
 
Posts: 1055
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:37 am
Location: Chorley


Return to Chorley FC

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests