Starting 11

Talk about the Magpies. Be respectful to others, no swearing, insulting posts or libellous remarks please.

Moderators: Ian Livesey, Pete Rothwell, Moderators

Starting 11

Postby Paul » Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:52 pm

I know that a number of our squad are injured or lacking match practice but what would be our best starting eleven if all the squad were match fit? My choice would be:-

Goalkeeper - Phil Priestley

Right back - Ian Callaghan
Left back - Michael Bromham
Centre halfs - Martin Clark & Shaun Teale

Midfield 4 consisting of Neil Wright, James Mullineux, John Bluck and Damian Walsh.

Damian Walsh would be a surprise inclusion for some but from the few matches he did play last season I thought he was the only squad member to display true winger qualities of pace and ability to beat a full back. These four midfield players would provide Shaun Teale with different formation options. James Mullineux could play just in front of the defence, we could play a flat midfield four or Damien Walsh could play in a more advanced role.

Forwards - Peter Wright & Adam Roscoe
Paul

Postby OptoMystik » Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:17 pm

How I'd like to give any alternatives................ but I can't.

At the end of last season, I thought we needed another BIG central defender, a rightback with pace ( who could overlap like fleming used to), a central midfield 'playmaker' and an experienced Centre forward to keep the strikers on their toes. So far non of this has happened!

If Wright or Roscoe got injured, we currently have no alternatives - Buckly hasn't impressed enough yet to seriously challenge for a place. We severely lack any pace at the back to 'mop up' any attacks. The only other person I would put at right-back would be Mully but he's better in central Midfield (as shown at Mossley away- 1st time).

What happened to Richard Tracey?

Sorry to sound negative but we're still at least 4 players away from a strong squad and not having 'strength in depth' may cost us dearly.

It's been a big blow to lose JV and Thomo but we need replacements ASAP.
OptoMystik

STARTING 11

Postby paul m » Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:37 pm

Looking at last year shaun added quite a few new players after the start of the season like Priestley, allen, bromham, tench, sullivan and thompson. Maybe the players he wants are waiting to see how things go with there current clubs. i know he got thompson because he wasn't getting a game at northwich. (not 100% about northwich).
Surely it's better to bring quality players in when possible than just to bring anybody in for the sake of it.

As for paul's 11 I think i'd have tench in before walsh.

Last point ian barker has left bamber bridge does anyone think he could do a job up front for us.
paul m

Postby Locki » Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:53 pm

I know that a number of our squad are injured

Who's injured?

What happened to Richard Tracey?

He's decided to stay at Frickley.

My starting XI for the opening game would be as follows, 3-2-3-2 formation:
1. Phil Priestley
2.Ian Callaghan, 5.Martin Clark, 4.Shaun Teale
6.James Mullineux, 3.Daryl Allen
7.John Bluck, 8.Neil Wright, 11.Graham Tench
9.Adam Roscoe, 10.Peter Wright

Subs: 12.Damian Walsh, 14.Mark Toohey, 15.Ronnie Wright

Mully & Allen would sitting between the back three and advanced-midfield three, who then would have more freedom to attack with the front 2.

Basically making it a 5-5 formation!
Locki

starting line up

Postby BOB » Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:55 pm

my team for sat would be 1 moffet 2underwood 3ron wright 4 clark 5cally 6 bluck 7 mully 8 allen 11 n wright .
up front d.connell p wright.

subs gibbo toohey brom.

underwood joins from burscough connell ex burscough just to keep you up to date both trained tonight :lol:
BOB

Postby Jimmy » Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:30 pm

We have 2 keepers missing so he couldnt play in the nets! As for pace at the back we have loads of options, we must have one of the best defences in the league, look at the centre halves we have: Teale, Clarke, Callaghan, Mullineux, Moffatt and Wright. surely no other team has better options than that! As for upfront you can'r drop Roscoe, god knows how he wouldn't even make it on the bench man!
Jimmy

Postby OptoMystik » Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:45 pm

Jimmy wrote:We have 2 keepers missing so he couldnt play in the nets! As for pace at the back we have loads of options, we must have one of the best defences in the league, look at the centre halves we have: Teale, Clarke, Callaghan, Mullineux, Moffatt and Wright. surely no other team has better options than that! As for upfront you can'r drop Roscoe, god knows how he wouldn't even make it on the bench man!

er........ Is that why we came 18th and lost 20 games last season????

The main problem is lack of PACE at the back.

To support Jimmy's theory a bit: The main problem last season was that we rarely looked as though we could score more than one goal per game (I know we did sometimes......)
OptoMystik

Postby Jimmy » Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:26 pm

Obviously you have not been watching the firt team pre season games then OPTOMYSTIC! Pace at the back, Molly, Moff!
Jimmy

Re: starting line up

Postby Paul » Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:02 pm

BOB wrote:underwood joins from burscough connell ex burscough just to keep you up to date both trained tonight :lol:

Have these two players signed then? I think Underwood has played a number of games for Burscough and Connell has played for a number of clubs at a higher level so, they could be the quality signings we have been waiting for.
Paul

Postby OptoMystik » Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:38 am

Jimmy wrote:Obviously you have not been watching the firt team pre season games then OPTOMYSTIC! Pace at the back, Molly, Moff!

I would personally put Mully in central midfield as he is quite quick and NEVER shirks a tackle. I would play him alongside Neil wright.

As for Moffatt : I've not seen him in a competitive fixture yet so I cannot comment.

I still feel that we need more pace - maybe another rightback.

As I said before, we've just about got enough players to cover the positions - what happens when injuries / suspensions kick in??
OptoMystik

Elvis

Postby Locki » Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:58 pm

Does anyone know if Elvis will be playing on Saturday, as he's supposed to miss the first four matches, but news on this has gone quiet. If he's not available, whose in goal?
Locki

Postby paul m » Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:32 pm

Spoke to elvis at the fun day on sunday he is definatly missing the first 4 games. He told us he had lined up a replacement but wouldn't say who it was.
paul m

Postby Paul » Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:22 am

Apparently we have signed three new players this week, two of them ex Burscough players (I assume they must be Underwood and Connell). There was no mention of any signings in the LEP, does anyone know any further details of the three players signed?
Paul

Return to Chorley FC