A Flying Visit

Talk about the Magpies. Be respectful to others, no swearing, insulting posts or libellous remarks please.

Moderators: Ian Livesey, Pete Rothwell, Moderators

A Flying Visit

Postby Magpie in Exile » Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:59 pm

One of the delights of this time of year is browsing through Fixture lists with anticipation of what matches I might be able to get to, and knowing that at 3pm on the 1st day, we all have no points and zero goal difference. Anyway, looks like I might get back to VP on Bank Holiday Monday (and unlike last year the FA cup won't mess it up this time!). If I remember I'll wear a Bath Rugby shirt so that you can recognise the Magpie in Exile...

Went to see Weymouth on Saturday with a mate who is a long standing Weymouth Fan. Sad to say the last time he'd seen them in the conference was against Chorley! (17 year absence). They scored after ten seconds, don't suppose we'll do likewise on Saturday?
Magpie in Exile

Flying visit

Postby dave hindle » Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:26 pm

Having not witnessed any of the pre-season matches (from what I've heard I've been lucky!) I would have thought a more apposite question would be will we score in the first ten games rather than minutes! Seriously, this looks like being a very difficult season both on and off the pitch - it will an achievement of sorts if we are still in existence come the end of it from what I have been told.

It is becoming increasingly difficult to keep going at this level of the game as the all-encompassing Premiership bollocks keeps potential Victory Park(and other non-league grounds) terrace-fillers sat on their arses at home or in the pub watching people watching football on a television! How sad is that? Very, but unfortunately it is the modern way. I thought it was quite disturbing to see Accy Stanley's opening two home gates - just over 2600 for the Darlington game midweek when no doubt Darlo would bring a fair few, and that dropped by a full 1000 for the second fixture against Barnet. All this after 44 years out of the league or how ever many it is and all the accompanying ballyhoo - apparently they only printed 1200 programmes for their first game back as well which seemed very pessimistic to me!

To increase the gloom still further I have to announce that in the wake of Malcolm Wyatt's departure from the Guardian, I have been approached by the editor, Chris Maguire (who has been playing for Chorley Cricket Club this season - he's a decent bat too!) to cover the Magpies games (or some of them at least) for him over the coming winter. That should guarantee that the season seems even longer than ever!! On no, not that idiot again! Tell him to stick to cricket! I know I have heard it all before but my skin is thick! If you are not careful we might resurrect Two For Joy - although these days it would definitely have to be re-titled One For Sorrow!!! Peter Craig sent me an e-mail when I registered saying he was looking forward to my 'witty and caustic comments' (his words not mine!) but I'm not feeling that there is too much to be witty or caustic about to be honest. I predict we will finish around 13th / 14th - what do others think? Come on, put your heads on the block!
dave hindle

Re: Flying visit

Postby petermarkcraig » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:15 pm

dave hindle wrote:
To increase the gloom still further I have to announce that in the wake of Malcolm Wyatt's departure from the Guardian, I have been approached by the editor, Chris Maguire (who has been playing for Chorley Cricket Club this season - he's a decent bat too!) to cover the Magpies games (or some of them at least) for him over the coming winter. That should guarantee that the season seems even longer than ever!! On no, not that idiot again! Tell him to stick to cricket! I know I have heard it all before but my skin is thick! If you are not careful we might resurrect Two For Joy - although these days it would definitely have to be re-titled One For Sorrow!!! Peter Craig sent me an e-mail when I registered saying he was looking forward to my 'witty and caustic comments' (his words not mine!) but I'm not feeling that there is too much to be witty or caustic about to be honest. I predict we will finish around 13th / 14th - what do others think? Come on, put your heads on the block!

I'm sure you'll do a great job Dave and I look forward to reading your slant on Chorley's performances this season.
For the record I think we'll make the play offs....but then again what do I know :oops:
petermarkcraig
Site Admin

Prediction

Postby Locki » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:37 pm

Hello Mr Hindle, how life down at Windsor Park?

I'll go first on the prediction front for you. Having seen the matches against PNE, East Stirling, Fleetwood Town, Blackburn Rovers and Burscough, how we'll do this season isn't any clear for the effort of watching these matches!

Against PNE, ES & BR we did very well for a spells against better opposition, especially holding PNE to 0-0 at half time. FT was a good battling performance against a Town side that in fairness to them was missing a few regulars, yet was still stronger that the average NPL1 side.

As for the Burscough match, well, the only hope from that game I can take is that although we were outplayed, we still only lost by a single goal. Burscough are a side containing several ex-Southport players who were all Conference regulars last season and we are unlikely to meet a side in the league as good as them. If we play as poor in the league against lesser sides, then we may even grab the odd 'played poor but didn't loose' type of point here and there, even 'played bad and won' three pointers might happen.

All this said we could struggle for goals. We've scored eight all pre-season in seven matches, and our top scored with four of them has joined our captain and former manager over on the east coast. Good luck to JV and Thomo, but I fear it may be us that need more luck than them!!!

Last season our main problem was our home form, and looking at the excuse for a pitch we've got at the moment, then I can see the same happening this season, which won't do the coffers any good at all. And that take us to our last and biggest battle this coming year, finance!

If we can bring in the money the board stated was needed to compete, £27,000, and complete the season with a competitive side, then I doubt we'll end up like Bishop Auckland and struggle all season, but I also doubt we'll be able to challenge at the top. A bit of good luck and we could be a fringe contender for the play-offs, likewise, a bit of bad luck and... well, let's no go there!

So for once (and only once) I'll agree with hairy Dave and go for a mid table spot of lucky 13th!
Locki

Postby John B » Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:22 pm

If you think you've got problems with the Chorley Guardian approaching Dave Hindle to do reports for the coming season, I'm afraid I had a call from the LEP yesterday asking me to do likewise for them! I should possibly mention that Mr.Hindle did comment to Malcolm Wyatt last season when I wrote a few reports for the Chorley Guardian that he felt that that paper should have its price reduced as the standard of its reporting had been lowered to such an extent, but I could only put that down to "sour grapes" coming from someone who at that time was only writing for one of the "freebies" who shove their reports through your letterbox whether you want them or not! However, now that he has used his "contacts" at the elite Cricket Club to engender himself a position possibly even at my expense(!), let battle commence!

I should point out to anyone not aware of the fact that Dave and I have known each for about fifty years although he is far older than I am! I would have said that we'd been friends for that long, but I know that Dave would immediately dispute that!

On a more serious note, I do wonder if there might be a chance that if reports this season are being written by actual supporters, rather than official reporters, whether we might be able to attempt to broaden our horizons to include more active promotion of the club, should the papers themselves be prepared to allow us to do it. I've emailed the LEP tonight asking if this might be the case, because after Sunday's disappointing turnout I think we need to explore every avenue we can, and I now await their reply!

Must say, too, that I think the new format of the Forum is excellent up to now, as we seem to have reverted to the old mix of interesting and relevant discussion coupled with a bit of banter, such a change from the obnoxious rantings from anonymous morons that had become prevalent, but there I go talking about Mr. Hindle again! I eagerly anticipate your insults heading my way very soon, David...
John B

Postby petermarkcraig » Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:25 pm

John B wrote:
Must say, too, that I think the new format of the Forum is excellent up to now, as we seem to have reverted to the old mix of interesting and relevant discussion coupled with a bit of banter, such a change from the obnoxious rantings from anonymous morons that had become prevalent, but there I go talking about Mr. Hindle again! I eagerly anticipate your insults heading my way very soon, David...

.....and I for one look forward to reading said insults and laughing out loud just like old times. :lol:
petermarkcraig
Site Admin

Postby petermarkcraig » Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:25 pm

John B wrote:

.....and I for one look forward to reading said insults and laughing out loud just like old times. :lol:
petermarkcraig
Site Admin

Postby petermarkcraig » Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:26 pm

John B wrote:

petermarkcraig
Site Admin

Postby Fat Boy Slim » Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:21 pm

Peter is just trying to be top poster............. :lol:
Fat Boy Slim

Postby john gunn » Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:41 pm

So Dave you are going to report on the magpies as well as the cricket club. Should be interesting if you mix the two together. We could have 'Stephen Johns ran between the wickets before fully letting fly with a rasping left footer which just cleared the bails before settling into the bottom corner of the net'.
Or will it be ' Priestley clutches the ball to his chest right on the boundary line'.
As for predictions I think we will struggle and 'its going to be a long hard winter' as my Dad used to say.
I suppose we could light another candle next Sunday at St. Mary's instead and see if that works.

Not working and not on call this weekend so I will make the game. I can just hear John B now 'pay him to stop away, he never sees us win'!!
john gunn

Postby John B » Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:22 am

Pay him to stop away, he never sees us win!
John B

Postby Magpie in Exile » Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:00 am

The last time I was resident anywhere near Chorley and got to see most of the games we got promoted to the conference, and then had a remarkable tendency to win whenever I could make it back, so the decline is all my fault. There is an answer though, gizza job!

More seriously though, I would agree that survival is the name of the game this season, if we are still in Unibond 1, still solvent and still on Victory Park in a years time that will be a success.

I could bore you all with my views on this, but getting embedded in the local community is all; we need people who hardly ever come to a match to be prepared to take up the cudgels on our behalf, we need to mean something to those who live in Chorley, to be seen to be a "good thing". If the CG and the LEP could give us more (non-football) coverage... I understand we are giving Danny Wallace's charity a donation, how about getting a photo of a smilling Danny and a smiling Magpie on the front page...
Magpie in Exile

Postby petermarkcraig » Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:21 am

John B wrote:Pay him to stop away, he never sees us win!

Charmed I'm sure :roll: :lol:
petermarkcraig
Site Admin

Postby dave hindle » Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:05 pm

I am certainly not going to get into a war of words with Mr. Padiham ... er I mean Blackburn - I keep forgetting which dump in East Lancs he is named after!... for one thing he 'works' in a library and is surrounded by words while I only have the Daily Telegraph for company! (Speaking of which I've got a letter published in the sports bit of that esteemed publication today - how's that for a fine bit of self-aggrandizement?!) It is true though that myself and John do go back a long way, it's just that the intervening years have been considerably kinder to me than him! Shucks, we can even remember when Chorley had a good side, the left it was I think! Anyway good luck to him in his new life with the LEP - it's about time he did some real work. Still, I must remember to stop buying it!

With regards to Mr. Gunn's comments about me getting confused between football and cricket - well what a silly point he makes. We're professionals dontchaknow! As for Stephen John - well many a true word spoken in jest perchance. He is apparently (well he says so!) a decent player (though he does support Liverpool) and he would certainly raise the average fitness level of the team. However, while the offside is a good place to bowl, it's not the place to be on a football pitch! Unfortunately, I believe he is off to play in New Zealand over our winter so I guess that kayboshes that thought.

And finally.... two goldfish in a tank. One says to the other "Any idea how to drive this thing?" Boom Boom.

Finally, good luck to the lads tomorrow. I won't be there as I will be at Stanley Park, and if today's any guide I'll be watching the rain come down. Might be a more appealing prospect come to think of it!
dave hindle

Postby Ian Livesey » Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:43 pm

Dave, Where in the Telegraph are you?
Ian Livesey
Site Admin

Postby dave hindle » Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:14 pm

Ian, my letter is on the letters page of today's sports supplement thingy - page S14 if you are interested - I have to say it's not a particularly rivetting letter!
dave hindle

Postby OptoMystik » Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:58 pm

Ian Livesey wrote:Dave, Where in the Telegraph are you?

He meant 'The Telegraph' not The Lancahire Evening Telegraph!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
OptoMystik

Postby John B » Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:39 am

So, Rip Van Hindle wakes! When he said he'd had something published in the Telegraph, I thought he was referring to the "For Sale" item he'd put in one of the local petrol stations! What a shame he won't be at VP today as he could again regale me with his extensive knowledge of East Lancashire towns (he's up to three so far!) as he pretends to have forgotten my name - or maybe senility has indeed set in and he actually has! See you at Clitheroe (there's another one you could use if you wanted to!) on Tuesday, Dave, if you can find your way...
John B

Return to Chorley FC