Daz leaves

Talk about the Magpies. Be respectful to others, no swearing, insulting posts or libellous remarks please.

Moderators: Ian Livesey, Pete Rothwell, Moderators

Daz leaves

Postby Prodigal son » Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:24 pm

Very sorry to see Daz go, but it was inevitable, very best wishes to him for the future. Great news that we have got a record fee for him, well done to the Board and Management team for negotiating this deal. Let's hope that Janny and the team can get another striker in now though very pleased to have Marcus Carver already on board. Can't wait for the season to start now. COYM
Prodigal son

Re: Daz leaves

Postby Ed » Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:46 pm

Record-breaking fee? It was said at the times that we got £25k for Eatock from Newcastle and £35k for Paul M from Plymouth with extras when he went to Ipswich/Arsenal.
Could Tranmere afford those amounts? Any sell-on clause?
Pace-wise Tranmere could have the next Jamie Vardy.

If picked he'll be playing Liverpool in preseason friendlies.
Quick onward transfer to Anfield, perhaps?

As one of the the supporters who sponsored Darren last season (and Ross the year before), do I get a cut of the fee?
Ed

Postby Ian Livesey » Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:54 pm

Sad to see him go but he's in his prime and, with the great respect for Tranmere, deserves playing in the Football League. Will miss him certainly but we should have a nice healthy sum to maybe buy three players if Matt wanted too. He was quoted in the Citizen that if Daz went, he'd be looking for a striker. I see Marcus as a holding forward, rather than a striker, though I think he'll certainly chip in with a few goals this season. Who do you think we should be after? Personally, Tom Greaves.
Ian Livesey
Site Admin

Postby metz » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:53 pm

Ian Livesey wrote:Sad to see him go but he's in his prime and, with the great respect for Tranmere, deserves playing in the Football League. Will miss him certainly but we should have a nice healthy sum to maybe buy three players if Matt wanted too. He was quoted in the Citizen that if Daz went, he'd be looking for a striker. I see Marcus as a holding forward, rather than a striker, though I think he'll certainly chip in with a few goals this season. Who do you think we should be after? Personally, Tom Greaves.

Like Deano for us, Tom Greaves apparently had a poor season for FCUM last time out. Uncharacteristic for him as he always played so well against us. Mind you according to their forum he was playing as a lone striker. Perhaps part of a strike force of three might suit him better
metz

Postby Ian R » Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:46 am

Sorry if all rumours are true,we should be looking well above Tom Greaves,no disrespect.
Ian R

Postby Paul Brennan » Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:06 am

Thanks, Daz, for all your efforts and great performances over the years. Some great goals to remember. Best of luck at Tranmere.

For the club to develop and nurture a player of this calibre is very impressive and shows the talent in the management team. It'll be interesting to see who we bring in:

Vermo on OWS - “Looking at the season ahead we are always looking to strengthen and we are targeting one more striker. It’s key to have options, especially if we play with three up top and there’s a few people we are in discussions with at the moment. We’ve already met with a few because we knew Darren leaving would be inevitable. Although it’s key not to rush into anything and we’ll have to see how things go.”

COYM!
Paul Brennan

Postby Ed » Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:12 pm

Greaves was top class 3 seasons back. We need to be looking out for a much younger striker, who will help us get promoted and we can sell on.
Maybe we have one already in our U18 or U20 squads.
Ed

Postby Magpie In Wigan » Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:35 pm

Greaves was a very good player but think his best days are well gone, quite excited by the line up opf the squad at the moment one or two I would like to see come in, hopefully with the fee we can get the key midfield general we so badly needed last season
Magpie In Wigan

Postby Ian Livesey » Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:23 pm

OK so maybe Greaves isn't the answer even though he's a proven goal scorer (like Daz is) - So who would you have? We have a fee from the sale of Daz, is that going to be used for a new signing or what? How about another name in the mix, Scott Spencer at Hyde?
Ian Livesey
Site Admin

Postby Ian Livesey » Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:24 pm

Someone keeps getting mentioned tonight in the Germany-Italy game, Kilheeney. Or maybe my ears need syringing.
Ian Livesey
Site Admin

Postby Prodigal son » Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:42 pm

Martin Pilkington from Ashton United could be a good addition.
Prodigal son

Postby Paul Speak » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:57 pm

"Prodigal son"

Martin Pilkington from Ashton United could be a good addition.

Spot-On ! Almost identical replacement for Hine in 4-3-3, or playing off a target man
( Johnson and Dean ) in 4-4-2 he got 25 League Goals last season Not taking Pens ...
Although he is currently contracted at AUFC.
Paul Speak
MIS Prediction League Winner 2011/12

Postby man in the stand » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:45 pm

I guess Martin Pilkington is off the radar now. 4 year ban.
man in the stand

Postby Tempie » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:14 pm

I'm not convinced we will actually replace daz. Have we had the replacement for hine yet?
Tempie

Postby Ian Livesey » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:17 pm

man in the stand wrote:I guess Martin Pilkington is off the radar now. 4 year ban.

See " Other Football " Forum
Ian Livesey
Site Admin

Postby Ian Livesey » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:19 pm

Tempie wrote:I'm not convinced we will actually replace daz. Have we had the replacement for hine yet?

Do we actually need a replacement for him? With the way that Janny wants to play, maybe the original role of Hine as too "Flitcroft-esque" and there's no need for that type of player under the current regime?
Ian Livesey
Site Admin

Postby Tempie » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:09 am

Ian you may well be correct. But I'm naturally sceptical lol! Let's see how long 5-3-2 lasts because we played 4-4-2 all last pre- season only to abandon it after 2 games of the season. Let's hope the 5-3-2 isn't simply just a way to get his captain into the side because we've signed 2 potentially better centre backs! With that system I really worry where the goals and creativity will come from but on a positive note come the 2nd half of the season, when the pitch is bad we will be very hard to beat!
Tempie

Postby Soapbox » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:11 am

I like the setup of 3 centre backs, but bit concerned re Teaguey as he looks 'chunky' and looks slower than last season. Lets hope that he is just short of fitness. So far in pre season I have been more impressed with Charnock than Teague. I see our main problem as midfield where we haven't got a midfield general, who can get hold of and pass the ball.
Carver and Gonzales look a handful and the ex Barrow guy looks a good player, maybe worth a punt on him as backup, as I'm afraid Connerton is not up to it at this level.
Soapbox

Postby Ed » Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:08 pm

Today Daz would have added pace against Spennymoor.
He doesn't seem to be on bench today for Tranmere. A month on loan at Chorley would give us cover for Carver and help his match fitness.
Ed

Postby Tommy Whizbang » Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:57 am

Darren is on the bench at Tranmere.
We are playing much better as a team this season whilst he's getting splinters in his backside.
Wayne Rooney's on the bench at Man Utd, maybe he'd benefit from a runout for us?
Tommy Whizbang

Postby blackcountrymagpie » Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:01 pm

Good idea! As long as we don't have to pay Rooney wages while he is here :oops:
blackcountrymagpie

Postby Tommy Whizbang » Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:06 pm

blackcountrymagpie wrote:Good idea! As long as we don't have to pay Rooney wages while he is here :oops:

OK, maybe Rooney could do with a runout at £ylde...
Tommy Whizbang

Return to Chorley FC