Wigan game

Talk about the Magpies. Be respectful to others, no swearing, insulting posts or libellous remarks please.

Moderators: Ian Livesey, Pete Rothwell, Moderators

Wigan game

Postby Tempie » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:28 am

I'm looking forward to this one. Saturday against Airbus wasn't the best but we did get kicked off the pitch at times! I can't wait to see us put a proper team out for more than half a game. I can never really see the point in bringing trialists on that have absolutely no chance of getting anywhere near the 1st team. But that's pre-season!
Tempie

Re: Wigan game

Postby ste faz » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:41 am

I'm another one looking forward to tonight's game........and desperately hoping for some Magpie goals,(but even shots on target would be a start).
ste faz

Postby Ian Livesey » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:53 am

ste faz wrote:but even shots on target would be a start

Would like to see more outside the box testing keepers. We've got some great hitters of the ball (Cottrell, Whitham) who can definitely hit them.
Ian Livesey
Site Admin

Postby Tempie » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:26 pm

I also worry about where the goals will come from! Other than Gonzales. Marcus doesn't get many and in midfield o Keefe, dale, jake and Adam won't get many or create many! We've let dorney go too. Jack lynch gets a few and can pick a pass but tbh I can't see him getting in the side because in my opinion he's just not quite good enough. We will just have to wait and see and I don't care if we win 1-0 every week!!!
Tempie

Postby exile » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:00 pm

Looking forward to this game too, but for a different reason. Tonight will be my first visit to Victory Park...as an away fan!

In terms of who you are likely to see in blue tonight there could be some interesting ones to keep an eye on. Sam Cosgrove will probably be returning to VP, whether or not he'll show what he's about this time is uncertain. One to watch would be a lad called Danny O'Brien who impressed on the wing for Chester last season and in goal will probably be Dan Lavercombe who kept goal for Torquay last year (returning to them on loan after joining Wigan in January) who has an impressive record at a young age. Other than that there are a range of decent looking youngsters who performed very well in the FA Youth Cup last season.

Forgetting my first love and going back to Chorley, I saw enough to be hopeful against PNE & Airbus. There is a new partnership up top but it is starting to bear fruit slowly, I agree we look weak once you get beyond the first team in midfield but there is a reasonable enough amount of creativity there. Defensively we've looked sound with the starting XI so I don't expect us to get rolled over too often!
exile

Postby Tempie » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:09 pm

Need a goal scorer!
Tempie

Postby ste faz » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:48 pm

Yes we need a goal-scorer (or two).
But let's look at the positives.Defensively with 3 centre backs and 2 wing backs we are superb.Against Wigan's energetic U21's we more than matched them for pace, energy and commitment; in mid-field Lynch starred but we need some steel (Roscoe, solid as always)! Sorry to say but Connerton is not up to it.Our No.9 (?) 1st. half was a good runner and held up the ball well.Marcus and Sefton linked up well and could come good given time.
So as someone said; 1-0 to the Magpies ?
I'll settle for that...................for now.
ste faz

Postby Ian Livesey » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:49 pm

The number 9 was Jason Walker, released at the end of last season from Barrow (91 goals from 254 appearances for them)
Ian Livesey
Site Admin

Postby Tempie » Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:36 am

Jason looks a clever player who was constantly looking to get in behind the defence. Certainly looks a better bet than Jordan but I depends on what sort of money he wants. Their was so much negativity around the ground yesterday, which is a shame. I for one certainly think we are in better shape than last year. We just need one more attacking player
Tempie

Postby Prodigal son » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:25 am

Have seen 4 of the 5 friendlies so far (missed PNE), it seems to me that when we play 3-5-2 with the main contenders playing we look pretty good, but clearly need a goal getter. Agree the ex Barrow lad looked promising but it is difficult to tell when he is playing alongside Jordan who to me is just not good enough at this level. Also thought the young lad who came on towards the end last night looked pacy and promising but don't know anything about him. Overall pleased with the new signings and the type of football being played when we are playing a stronger eleven, would love a "Tom Baker" in midfield and of course a goals corer but also think we are better than last season. Still time yet, the team will gel more as these games continue. Will be interesting to see how it goes against Trafford on Saturday, might get a better idea of how we are shaping up, also the Brig game. COYM
Prodigal son

Return to Chorley FC