Test of STAMINA

Talk about the Magpies. Be respectful to others, no swearing, insulting posts or libellous remarks please.

Moderators: Ian Livesey, Pete Rothwell, Moderators

Test of STAMINA

Postby Ed » Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:32 pm

I was very impressed by the way Kidderminster's manager subbed their full-back to cope with our strikers. And he didn't wait long, bringing on a taller player after just 15 minutes. Can we expect similar use of subs by the Chorley coaching staff? We may find out this week when we face a hectic few days.
Between 7.45pm on 24 August and 4.45pm on 29 August we have THREE games in 69 hours - less than FIVE days. Surely this is a time make earlier substitutions. It is going to be difficult to remain unbeaten on our long travels to Darlington and Worcester, followed by a Home Monday game v Stalybridge if we rely on the same 11 squad members to do most of the work.
But who do you use for each game?
A defensive formation against Darlington, perhaps? Roscoe in front of defence?
A more attacking wingback formation v Stalybridge? Time to see more of our young right back, Azam?
These 3 games could define the season.
Last edited by Ed on Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ed

Re: Test of strategy

Postby Tempie » Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:52 pm

Very strange post ed imo! Can't see us changing very much because at the moment it's working well. The Kidderminster full back was injured. I'm sure we will see other players when injuries and suspensions kick in. At which point it'll be up to them to keep their place. Just as Kieron charnock has done! Until that happens I suspect it'll be off the bench or in the development side.
Tempie

Postby Prodigal son » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:34 pm

Not the best game today but comfortable win against a poor Boston side. Defence excellent again and with a bit of luck and some better judgement it would have been at least 5. Have to say the effort from the front lads again was superb ( all 3 of them) they really do put everything into the game. Really pleased with the start to the season and good to see four figure crowd again. Onwards now to Darlington, will be a tough test but also winnable. COYM
Prodigal son

Re: Test of Stamina

Postby Ed » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:21 am

Tempie wrote:Very strange post ed imo! Can't see us changing very much because at the moment it's working well. .

Not so strange, Tempie.
THREE games in five days. Currently Matt plays the same 12 players each game (with two coming on for a few minutes).
Think about it. Most footballers run at least 5,000metres in a game. Probably 10,000metres.
Would you ask Mo Farah to run THREE 5km races in 5 days? They gave him about a week at the Olympics between races NOT just over a day. And he only ran two races not three.

At one point last season Chorley, particularly in midfield, were looking worn out after 80 minutes (we kept letting in late goals). Can we risk this again this season? If they're good enough for the squad this year, players are good enough to give the first choice 11 a rest.

On form - and a normal programme of matches - we could manage a draw at Darlington plus wins v Worcester and Stalybridge. But 3 games in 5 days will test their legs a bit! Let's see what happens.
Ed

Postby Ed » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:27 am

Back to the athletics analogy. If you go on the principle of playing the best all of the time, why didn't Team GB let Mo Farah run the 800m, 1500m, 5000m, 10000m and marathon. He had two weeks after all.
Ed

Re: Test of STAMINA

Postby Prodigal son » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:08 am

Because the 800, 1500 and 5000 all had heats as well as finals so a bigger ask than 3 games in 5 days. I do see you point but rotation for the sake of it is barmy!
Prodigal son

Postby Tempie » Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:45 pm

Ed. sorry pal but we'll just have to disagree. I see your point wrt the Olympics but it's completely different. I've actually done a lot of track running when I was younger. Track running at the Olympics is essential an individual sport, where the individual works for 4 years trying to gain a gold medal so of course he is going to make sure he is in peak shape. However if the Olympics was solely a team event with points counting towards a winning team, then I'm sure you would have seen mo farah run more events because a tired farah would still be better than the other Brits! I was once asked by the Royal Navy althletics team to run the 5000, 3000 steeplechase, 1500, 800, and the 400 relay in one day!!! My times where slow but I still won them all! I guess what I'm trying to say is that yes 3 games in 5 days is hard but a slightly tired josh o Keefe is still a better bet than jack lynch, same with challenor and Azam etc! I can't see any changes unless someone gets a knock, except maybe Blackman for Jarvis but jarvo is doing enough to keep his shirt at the moment
Tempie

Postby Ed » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:23 pm

Tempie, trust me to argue against a long distance expert. Let's agree to disagree.
Ed

Postby Ed » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:06 pm

So 2 wins out of 3 isn't bad, although the two teams we beat are in bottom 3.
I saw the Worcester game and we looked tired in first half but lively in second. Today was glad to see Matt rotated the squad a bit but from MagpieLive comments it seems we tired in second half.
Last season we seemed to go all out for 75 minutes then tail off towards end.
Any thoughts, Tempie et al?
Ed

Postby Prodigal son » Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:28 pm

Ed, today we were excellent in first half but again failed to capitalise on the chances, Stalybridge could not have grumbled gad we gone in 4 up at least. Second half they came out fighting as was to be expected, they were somehow still in the game, yes the 3 games in 6 days took their toll but our defence is nothing if not resolute so saw us through. Matt gave starts to Waqas, Blakeman and Beesley today and all three took their chance to show what they could do. We have a competitive squad of 18 to 20 players now and the good thing is players can be introduced to change the pattern of the game, eg changing Gonzales and Walker, Waqas and Challoner, these changes affect our style of play, we just need to be more clinical in front of goal though today how Carver didn't score I don't know, after he'd beat the keeper twice and the woodwork and a goal line clearance prevented him adding to his tally.
Good to see Roscoe come on today to help steady things up in front of the back 3 as the Stalybridge lads were certainly giving us something to think about. Thought Matt's after match comments were spot on.
Onward to a plastic game next week, at least the team have 5 days off before that. COYM
Prodigal son

Return to Chorley FC