Alty away

Talk about the Magpies. Be respectful to others, no swearing, insulting posts or libellous remarks please.

Moderators: Ian Livesey, Pete Rothwell, Moderators

Alty away

Postby mark » Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:50 pm

I had my eye on this game from the moment the fixtures came out, and not just because it's only a few miles from my house. I think I'm right in saying we have only spent two seasons in the same division as Altrincham since we dropped out of the Conference in 1990. I distinctly recall a 3-0 defeat at Moss Lane in (I think) 1998. I was however fortunate to miss an absolute hiding we took in a League Cup semi-final there around the same time. Was it 7-2? I wonder when we last won there?

On current form we must be favourites to win, as Alty lie in the relegation zone with just three points and no wins. Not that I sense anyone is getting carried away with our start, but it's worth noting that after Tuesday we will have played all of the bottom five teams (and with luck beaten them all).
mark
Site Admin

Re: Alty away

Postby Jue » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:57 am

Looking forward to this too as it's a new ground.

Mark, we're leaving early for this fixture, can you suggest any good pubs for food and drink? :mrgreen:
Jue

Postby mark » Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:38 pm

Gladly. Firstly, I don't know what the trains to and from Chorley are like but under normal circumstances the best route is to change at Deansgate and take the tram to Altrincham rather than take the train, changing at Piccadilly.

If you do change at Deansgate then the Knott Mill under the station is a good option for fine beer and food. Not the cheapest by any means but you get what you pay for in this instance.

In Altrincham itself the top option by far is the market, which is amazing. A converted market hall with about ten food outlets and a few bars round the outside and loads of tables in the middle. Get there early if you want a seat, then take your pick of where to eat and drink.

On the road to the south of the market there are a couple of Belgian beer bars for those who get all their calories that way. If the market is too busy then Pi is a great place for fine ale and excellent pies. Again do not expect any of these places to be cheap, this is posh Cheshire we are talking about, but the quality is all very good.

Leave the station through the main entrance (bus station side), turn left then right at the crossroads (left at the crossroads takes you to the ground) and then straight on up the hill. You will see the market on your left, with the Belgian beer bars alongside it on Greenwood Street. Pi is on the right just before you get to the market.

Here's the market on google maps

There is a Wetherspoons in Alty too, come out of the station's main entrance, walk through the bus station to the main road, turn left and keep going. It's on the second crossroads.
mark
Site Admin

Postby Jue » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:54 am

Thank you. :D
Jue

Postby JP » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:36 pm

Good evening sampling the pubs in altrincham, nice ground, shame it was segregated.
JP
MIS Prediction League Winner 2015/16

Postby Ian Livesey » Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:27 pm

A fair and square draw. Could've gone either way but the right result on reflection. Altrincham will pick up results after that I feel and will climb the table. As for us, still unbeaten and a fantastic turn out of around 220 fans
Ian Livesey
Site Admin

Postby mark » Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:03 am

I really enjoyed tonight, a good end to end match played in a good atmosphere. I thought a draw was fair as well. I am hopeful that Alty will improve based on tonight's performance as I want to go again next season. The segregation was a big negative though - what is the point? It probably cost Alty £400 in drink sales at half time.
mark
Site Admin

Postby Prodigal son » Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:34 am

I have to say I agree with the comments about the game, generally satisfied with a point though it was so nearly all three deep in added time. I am confused by the segregation as I didn't even notice when we entered the ground that it was supposed to be segregated, we went to the first turnstile we came to, granted this was for a seat but were joined by a good number of fellow Chorley fans in the main stand seats, also noticed several "magpies" having a beer whilst I went for a coffee pre match, just wonder how accurate the 216 figure was for visiting fans, how could those in the stand be accounted for?
Well done again to the team, and great to see Marcus and Jason Walker on target again tonight, roll on Saturday, that will be a tough test against a Brackley side who have started very well indeed. COYM
Prodigal son

Postby Soapbox » Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:06 pm

Agree with the above, but we still need someone in midfield who can open up defences to feed Carver and Walker
Soapbox

Postby Junction 8 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:26 pm

Good night out, enjoyed the game, excellent turnout. What a save from Sam in the last few minutes, stood behind goal it looked in all the way.
Junction 8

Return to Chorley FC