Super Saturday,..... Chorley v Harrogate Town

Talk about the Magpies. Be respectful to others, no swearing, insulting posts or libellous remarks please.

Moderators: Ian Livesey, Pete Rothwell, Moderators

Super Saturday,..... Chorley v Harrogate Town

Postby Charlie Magpie » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:36 pm

There could not be any scenario better than this Saturday for Chorley FC to attract a decent crowd of local football supporters and, hopefully, a bumper attendance at Victory Park!

England will be on FIFA World Cup qualifying duties with the exciting prospect of a home clash against mighty Malta, 5.00pm kick-off and all our local Premier and Championship League teams will be taking a break. Division 1 side Bolton Wanderers are away at Swindon and Bury travel to Peterborough. Local rivals, Fylde, are away at Kidderminster and Bamber Bridge travel to Ossett Town for the FA Trophy.

Even the weather forecast is for a dry Saturday with sunny spells!

Through local press, radio and social media, can we make a big team effort to promote Saturday's game? Word of mouth and a bit of gentle persuasion from Chorley supporters can also help to raise the game's profile and, hopefully, increase the gate for this fortunate, one-off opportunity!
Charlie Magpie

Re: Super Saturday,..... Chorley v Harrogate Town

Postby Ed » Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:43 pm

Another good reason for getting down this Saturday is that it might be our last game for a fortnight. Curzon on 15th are in FA Cup.
Ed

Postby mike1 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:53 am

Ed wrote:Another good reason for getting down this Saturday is that it might be our last game for a fortnight. Curzon on 15th are in FA Cup.

Expect a rearranged fixture for the 15th, Ed. Gloucester City, FC United and Salford plus Bradford PA are all among possible opponents. I wouldn't think the league will leave up to half-a-dozen clubs kicking their heels on a Saturday.
mike1

Postby Ian Livesey » Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:16 pm

mike1 wrote:
Ed wrote:Another good reason for getting down this Saturday is that it might be our last game for a fortnight. Curzon on 15th are in FA Cup.

Expect a rearranged fixture for the 15th, Ed. Gloucester City, FC United and Salford plus Bradford PA are all among possible opponents. I wouldn't think the league will leave up to half-a-dozen clubs kicking their heels on a Saturday.

Word was on Saturday there wouldn't be any re-arranged games. Isn't there a time limit for matches to be arranged?

If we can get one re-arranged, I'm sure the Salford v Chorley game will be looked at because it's on a Tuesday night in March currently.
Ian Livesey
Site Admin

Postby mike1 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:49 pm

Ian Livesey wrote:
mike1 wrote:

Word was on Saturday there wouldn't be any re-arranged games. Isn't there a time limit for matches to be arranged?

If we can get one re-arranged, I'm sure the Salford v Chorley game will be looked at because it's on a Tuesday night in March currently.

Telford have announced today that they have plugged a gap by rearranging their home match against FC United following the Reds' exit from the FA Cup last night, so these things must be possible. A blank Saturday at this relatively balmy time of year is surely something to be avoided. Maybe it's up to individual clubs to make the move if a date can be agreed. Gloucester City away would be another possibility. I'm pretty sure Matt and the players would prefer a match on the 15th rather than have to wait a fortnight after the Harrogate game.
mike1

Postby Ed » Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:46 pm

Bradford away possibly??
Ed

Postby Charlie Magpie » Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:16 pm

Good call by the club to attract league club season ticket holders to Saturday's match with a special reduced admission price offer;

This Saturday Chorley host second placed Harrogate Town in the Vanarama National League North in our first home game since the two-one victory over Salford City in mid-September.

As it’s an international break for the World Cup qualifiers, teams in the Premier League and many in the Football League have the week off, so we are offering season ticket holders of Premier League, Championship, League One and League Two clubs reduced admission for our game.

Show your season ticket at the turnstiles and be gain entry to The Chorley Group Victory Park Stadium for a reduced admission price of £7.

No Premier League/Football League season ticket = no discount!

Now we need to spread the good news on social media and supporters' websites. With only one home league game in 4 weeks, the club could do with a financial lift, and an extra 200 or 300 through the turnstiles on Saturday would certainly be welcome.

Let's all do our bit for our club!
Charlie Magpie

Postby mike1 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:12 am

Ed wrote:Bradford away possibly??

Quote from Bradford website : 'The club is looking into the possibility of arranging a league match for (the vacant) Saturday,15th October'. Any takers? We are due to go there on Sat. 28th January when there is a fair chance that the Horsfall Stadium pitch might, as in past seasons, be a victim of the weather.
mike1

Postby JP » Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:40 pm

I work with a Preston NE season ticket holder and she is keen to take up the reduced price offer on saturday :D
JP
MIS Prediction League Winner 2015/16

Postby Charlie Magpie » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:20 pm

mike1 wrote:
Ed wrote:Bradford away possibly??

Quote from Bradford website : 'The club is looking into the possibility of arranging a league match for (the vacant) Saturday,15th October'. Any takers? We are due to go there on Sat. 28th January when there is a fair chance that the Horsfall Stadium pitch might, as in past seasons, be a victim of the weather.

Unfortunately we will be without Marcus Carver for the Harrogate match due to suspension. If we don't have a game on 15th October then his third suspended game will be Stockport County at home, a game we certainly could do with Marcus up front.
Charlie Magpie

Postby Ed » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:40 pm

Another good reason to fit in a lower team like Bradford on 15th, perhaps.
Even up the sides if we have our most 'active' striker missing.
Could make for more even game for fans.
Ed

Postby Bondy » Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:30 pm

Good solid all round performance. Harrogate were fortunate that it wasn't 3 or 4 nil. One of these games someone will get a hiding. Janny and his coaching staff have really got the team playing to a consistently high level in the league and richly deserves the manager of the month award. Always said that this season was when we would truly see Janny's style of play. How on earth we don't score more regularly from set pieces is beyond me, the thought and invention I don't think has ever been seen at Victory Park.
Bondy

Postby Ed » Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:58 pm

How on earth we don't score more regularly is beyond me, the thought and invention I don't think has ever been seen at Victory Park.[/quote]

Agree more inventive this season. Natural goalscorers are hard to come by. Fylde has signed them all.
With best defence in league all we need is another Fozzie alongside Walker.
Ed

Postby Prodigal son » Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:27 pm

Excellent display, endorse previous comments, the the work and planning that go into the set pieces is tremendous, some team is going to to get a real thrashing one day! Well done to the whole team, perfect response to last week' s disappointment, hope Sam is ok as he was clearly feeling his knee. Could make a case for all 11 for man of the match, special ,mention for Sefton and Jason up front, Shane the ball wouldn't go in the net. Great to get the monkey off the back with the penalty, well done Adam Blakeman.
Prodigal son

Postby mike1 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:49 pm

Bondy wrote:Good solid all round performance. Harrogate were fortunate that it wasn't 3 or 4 nil. One of these games someone will get a hiding. Janny and his coaching staff have really got the team playing to a consistently high level in the league and richly deserves the manager of the month award. Always said that this season was when we would truly see Janny's style of play. How on earth we don't score more regularly from set pieces is beyond me, the thought and invention I don't think has ever been seen at Victory Park.

Excellent points. The Janny revolution is firmly on track and many congratulations to Matt on a well-deserved manager of the month award - but as he said himself credit must go to all his staff and both Jamie and Jon deserve a mention. They are managing the squad with considerable intelligence, planning and know-how and the results are extremely satisfying. At the start of the season we all might have worried about how we would fare in what looked an extremely competitive league. No need to fret - we can enjoy our football safe in the knowledge that this squad will continue to compete with the best and, who knows, might just go all the way. The defensive statistics are simply fantastic. I've been watching the Magpies for countless years and I don't recall a more solid unit than what we have now. The figures speak for themselves. The big plus is that away from home we are giving ourselves a better chance of picking up at least a point and maybe more. Yes, I accept that we would benefit from an instinctive finisher up front but strength comes from the back and to watch the boys deliver their now customary defensive show today gave me great confidence. The game itself especially first half was played at such a tempo that any momentary lapse of concentration could have been the game-changer. That didn't happen and in the end we got what we deserved. Credit Adam Blakeman with that textbook penalty too. Well done, Mr Cool. Well done the whole team. Great crowd figure too. We're witnessing remarkable times at Victory Park right now.
mike1

Postby Ian Livesey » Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:07 am

Harrogate were made to look average even if it was an injury-ravaged side.

I would be happy if every game from here on in was 1-0 or 0-0. Like mike1 says, the defence is the start, goals will come and agree that someone will be on the end of a tonking. Hopefully next Saturday or better yet, Stockport in a fortnight.
Ian Livesey
Site Admin

Postby Tommy Whizbang » Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:46 am

If there can be such a thing as a truly convincing 1-0 win, then that was it.
Top performance and could have scored a hat full.
Tommy Whizbang

Return to Chorley FC