Curzon

Talk about the Magpies. Be respectful to others, no swearing, insulting posts or libellous remarks please.

Moderators: Ian Livesey, Pete Rothwell, Moderators

Curzon

Postby Tempie » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:39 am

Well what did we think of last night? I think we really need a goal scorer. Plenty of chances yet again but only the penalty to show for it. I was pleased to see carver start because he offers much more than Gonzales but he's certainly not a natural goalscorer. Does anyone know where Gonzales and lynch where?
Tempie

Re: Curzon

Postby Paul Brennan » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:56 am

Sefton apparently injured.

FH -allowed Curzon too much time and space, which they successfully denied us and they played good football on a superb pitch (almost looked artificial) while we pumped long balls, often inaccurately, to the front two.
SH-introduction of Blakes and more "pressing" made a marked improvement but with few clear cut chances -ironically we had more in the FH.

Conclusions for me -always play Blakes (Josh O'K is not up to this standard); keep trying to buy/loan a midfield player who can control play-and the opinion of many that the CN is the toughest in non-league seems highly accurate. Curzon had beaten York after all.
On to Alfreton -hope for, and expect(!), a better performance than last season. COYM.
Paul Brennan

Postby Ian Livesey » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:46 am

Be hard to get a goal scorer now as they'll all have a club unless we can tempt someone from the lower leagues whose Played at this level before or throw big bucks to increase their wages.
I think what we're short of is a plan B, we're getting found out now. Jansen tried on Saturday to change it around and 8 minutes later we conceded. Curzon we're a speedy side last night who comfortably switched the play between flanks with ease, which we didn't look to have an answer for.
Ian Livesey
Site Admin

Postby Prodigal son » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:57 am

Not there last night but wonder why on Earth O'Keefe (who is just not good enough) started ahead of Roscoe, if a change was necessary. We do seem to get short of a natural goal scorer. Onwards to Saturday and hopefully a better performance. COYM
Prodigal son

Postby Tempie » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:34 am

I agree with the above post. We certainly haven't used roscoe enough.
Tempie

Postby Jue » Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:08 pm

Tempie wrote:Well what did we think of last night? I think we really need a goal scorer. Plenty of chances yet again but only the penalty to show for it. I was pleased to see carver start because he offers much more than Gonzales but he's certainly not a natural goalscorer. Does anyone know where Gonzales and lynch where?

This will answer that question about Lynch

Regarding O'Keefe, his CV certainly say's he's good enough here - and higher.
Jue

Postby Ed » Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:27 pm

Tempie wrote: We certainly haven't used roscoe enough.

What's happening? For second time in a week Tempie and I are in agreement.
I watched Adam in the warm up firing in 30yard shots into
bottom corner of Caunce's goal. He hasn't had much time in games lately but both on Saturday and tonight our pace seemed to liven up when he came on.
Also against Bradford his 5 minutes led to us regaining initiative (after they came back at us in 2nd half ) with us getting a third goal.
With Teague and Beesley receiving knocks and possible change to 442, now must be an opportunity for someone adept at protecting the back 4 taking a midfield spot.
Ed

Postby Jue » Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:22 pm

Scoring screamers during the walm up and in the game are two completely different things. Did you not witness my pea roller go in the back of the net at half time on Saturday? Doesn't mean I should be wearing that number 9 shirt.

What was discussed last night is that no one does seem to want to have a pop on goal. If you don't shoot, you don't score. Instead of trying to walk it in for a tap in why don't we pull the trigger more often? These lads know they can get it on target so may as well have a go during the game.
Jue

Postby mike1 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:24 pm

[quote="Paul Brennan"]

...the opinion of many that the CN is the toughest in non-league seems highly accurate. Curzon had beaten York after all.

Reality check needed? Who at the start of the season, when everyone acknowledged it was going to be an extremely competitive National North, would not have jumped at the prospect of achieving 30 points from the first 16 games?
mike1

Postby Soapbox » Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:44 pm

Spoke to Sefton last night and he said he had an abductor muscle problem, so we may need to get a striker as cover. We played well again last night, but what we are missing is a creative midfielder who can play in Carver and Walker, rather than relying on them go create their own chances. As regards Adam R - sorry he is not good enough, too slow and bad technique, a squad player at best.
Soapbox

Postby Ian Livesey » Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:07 pm

I think what we're all forgetting is we're a good side, look at the second half against Salford, the full 90 over Bradford PA last Sat and defensive displays against Kidderminster and Telford. On our day we can go about picking three points up in any match, I'm confident of that

We've had more good performances than bad so far. Long may it continue
Ian Livesey
Site Admin

Postby Magpie In Wigan » Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:38 pm

over the course of the season we haven't had too much to sulk about, but for me a few little niggles Adam Roscoe is a better option imo than several players in several positions, good in front of the defence decent in c mid, good at wide right and more than capable up front, against Stockport we let them control the game, not the first time against a Gannon side, but biggest gripe for me so far is last night we played on a carpet of a pitch, we where passed to death and could only reply with route one, every team has a bad time in a season, but really we should have been able to string a few passes together on a surface like that, hope we get back to our early season form as it is beginning to look like teams have found out we have no plan b, keep it simple lads and get back to winning ways COYM
Magpie In Wigan

Postby Tempie » Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:04 pm

I agree that it's niggles rather than things to complain about. I just really think we lack a goal scorer or even just a game changer that we can use from the bench. It's very rare that our substitutions change the flow of the game. It's no good Matt keep saying 'we could have had 5' or 'someone's going to get hammered'! We need to actually start doing it! Far to many games we are controlling the game but not getting the goals. What about the loan market? Who was the lad on loan at skem last season from Accrington? I might be wrong but I'm sure he scored a good few and would surely have played with carver too. We've had a good start but if things are going a touch stale we need to react. The lad that Gannon got in on loan before our game looked pretty useful so they are around.
Tempie

Postby Ian Livesey » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:39 am

And sometimes loans aren't the answer. Rittenburg, Cosgrove, Evans to name but three didn't really "do it for us". Don't forget the Chorley ethic, they have to be a team player, and fit in with the rest of the dressing room. We've got capable players but something's not just happening up top. Says it all when your top scorer is a midfielder
Ian Livesey
Site Admin

Postby Paul Speak » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:13 pm

Josh Hine now on a months loan at Stalybridge ...
Paul Speak
MIS Prediction League Winner 2011/12

Postby andrewa » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:19 pm

Wonder how Louis Myers is getting on...
andrewa

Postby Tempie » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:01 pm

Goals where always going to be a problem because we lost hine and Darren. Both those players weighed in with a lot of goals but we simply haven't replaced them. I thought Sefton would have been better but it's not looking that way. Hopefully Matt is looking at people who could come in.
Tempie

Postby Paul Speak » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:51 pm

"Tempie"

Both those players weighed in with a lot of goals but we simply haven't replaced them

We have replaced the players, Not the goals !

Having said that proven finishers in this area , with the exception of £ylde ( Rowe, Clayton and
Daniels ) appear difficult to identify ... I'm sure Chorley, Salford, FCUM, Stockport, Alty are
all looking for 'that' player ( a Tom Greaves of 3/4 years ago ) ... Imo of the 5 clubs mentioned
Jason Walker and Damian Reeves are the 2 best natural finishers. With Martin Pilkington's ban
I wonder if Kilheeney is still 'the best of the rest' in our catchment area ?
Paul Speak
MIS Prediction League Winner 2011/12

Postby Tempie » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:02 pm

Yeah Paul I meant the goals not the players.
Tempie

Postby magpie1875 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:34 pm

Last season after the same league games the goals columns read 25 for, 24 against (+1). This season it currently reads 21 for and just 11 against (+10). I'll accept a few less goals in their net for a lot less goals in ours.
Hine and Stephenson have left, we're in a better league possession now and our bank balance increase after seeing those two go no doubt helped to attract the QUALITY players we brought in over the summer; Jordan, Leather Challoner, Blakeman, Walker & Carver
magpie1875

Postby Ian Livesey » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:34 pm

We're not really questioning our defence which has been superb all season. Always said win home games and draw away games. That's two points per game and gives you 84 points at the end of the season.
To be honest, there's no major problem with up front, but there could be if another unfortunate suspension/injury forces another striker on the sidelines.
Ian Livesey
Site Admin

Postby extech » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:35 pm

Hello, weve lost one and drawn one and all the moaners are back out. Get behind the team for gods sake. Some are thinking we should send our shirts and win. Some players were obviously playing with knocks. Agree however about Roscoe he should start more.
extech

Postby Tempie » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:05 am

Wondered how long that would take!!! Striving to improve is NOT moaning! Nobody get behind the team more than me! We've had a good start but at the moment that's all it is. You get nowhere in life by sitting and admiring what's been achieved. It's about constantly trying to improve and spotting any issues BEFORE they become detrimental. We went into the season with 3 forwards. Now one is very out of form and also injured. We've scored nowhere near the amount of goals that our play has deserved. So that is a problem. I'm not moaning I'm stating a fact! It's costing us points and in the fa cup it cost us money too. Unless someone can find their shooting boots fast I suspect it'll cost us more points too.
Tempie

Postby magpie1875 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:38 am

weve not scored as many as weve changed our system. 433 > 532 (or 352 when playing the likes of bpa), so usually less going forward. the change has worked in that we are more solid at the back, but we just need to take a few more potshots for me up front. the odd 20 yarder going in will do a world of confidence for the strikers rather than trying to walk it in at every attack. but then again more shots wide gifts the opponents possession.
its all a balancing act and matt, jamie and jon are going a top job of it so far.
magpie1875

Postby Prodigal son » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:08 am

Agree with Tempie, I don't see moaning just folk who want us to continue the good start and indeed improve! The positives are obvious, the defence is very good, we are creating chances, but just not taking enough. It is clear that due to the injuries to Gonzales and to Louis Myers that we are now short up top, completely reliant on Carver and Walker. So either we bring someone in possibly on loan though as someone has pointed out that hasn't worked too well in the past or how about drafting young Darr into the squad, he is scoring for the under 21's, he has pace and ability, I know he is very young but it would be good experience for him and you never know he might just bag a goal or two, especially against Squires Gate n Lancs Cup.
Onward to Alfreton and back to 3 points please. COYM
Prodigal son

Postby Magpie In Wigan » Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:54 pm

Don't see any bitching comments on here to be fair, I would say there was more constructive on here than out and out negative posts, lets face it the defence has been fantastic, don't really think there is a weak link there, but when you set up more defensively you need to take your chances, if we are not going to get as many chances imo we need a Steve Foster type player who can take a half chance, the lad never really looked like a footballer but did he know where the net was, this was where my point about Adam Roscoe is coming from he is always capable of scoring a screamer, the whipped balls across the box are getting all too easy to read and Roscoe is probably the best attacking header of the ball we have but a couple of minutes here and there aren't much good, how far is he from being match fit is another question, getting rare to see us take a shot from outside the box, however I realise the management get very little time to spend on training and coaching, I really enjoy watching Carver he is an exciting prospect with a huge work rate, Walker is a very clever player who when on his game can unlock defences, Gonzales is a lad with huge amounts of potential not convinced he is yet the finished article but pretty sure he can become a quality player, looking forward to Myers getting a chance, this is a good time to be a magpie, looking forward to Alfreton away no need to panic. COYM
Magpie In Wigan

Postby Paul Brennan » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:15 pm

MIW -agree with all of that post. The issue for Adam R is getting into a solid and reliable midfield when Matt rarely rotates for the sake of it -when he can get an appearance he obviously must make the most of it and then give the management food for thought. Not easy for him yet he seems never to complain so he's a great asset to the squad and club.
Paul Brennan

Postby Ed » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:40 am

Neither Blakeman nor O'Keefe seem to unlock defences. Roscoe as said above is able to let fly with 30 yard screamers. If they don't go in just think of the rebounds for Walker, Carver, Gonzales to pick up.
Both as cover for defence and as an attacking option, Adam R would be more effective than NO and AB.
Seems crazy to leave him out when we are short of goals.
Ed

Postby Paul Brennan » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:47 am

Ed wrote:Neither Blakeman nor O'Keefe seem to unlock defences.
Both as cover for defence and as an attacking option, Adam R would be more effective than NO and AB.

Didn't you see the great through pass to Jarvo by Blakes for the second goal at BPA, Ed ? :shock:

Blakes the best ball player in midfield we've got, IMHO
Paul Brennan

Postby tumbleweed » Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:17 pm

There is no reason for AR not to be playing apart from selection. Also the simple fact is that the percentage of goals scored from opertunitis given are poor....and that IS a FACT.
tumbleweed

Return to Chorley FC