Alfreton away

Talk about the Magpies. Be respectful to others, no swearing, insulting posts or libellous remarks please.

Moderators: Ian Livesey, Pete Rothwell, Moderators

Alfreton away

Postby Prodigal son » Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:35 pm

Looks like squad down to bare bones today, Sam out also Jordan, Teague and Gonzales, Lynch on loan, well several of us wanted Roscoe to start but not necessarily under these circumstances, however, let's hope for a good performance and the points at the end of the game. Looks like a changed formation today too. Bench a bit thin as well, 2 fullbacks, Jarvo, young Clayton and sub keeper. COYM
Prodigal son

Re: Alfreton away

Postby andrewa » Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:42 pm

Groan..... :(
I wasn't there, can somebody explain how we drew against 10 men when leading by 2 goals up to the last 10 minutes?
Also it did rather look like the continuing problem of not converting chances seemed to haunt us once again.
Not in a position to criticise, plus the squad is a lttle depleted, but it did look like we should once again have turned dominance into goals and failed to do so.
andrewa

Postby Magpie In Wigan » Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:46 pm

Well I was there and was left asking the same questions, deserved red card, but the ref was in danger of losing the plot, gave some strange decisions, I thought early on the game would finish 9 v 9, early on played some controlled football, Roscoe was understandably a bit off the pace, what happened second half was pretty difficult to describe too many stray balls, at one point Carver had a free kick given against him for pulling out of a challenge against the keeper, when you would expect him to go for the 50 - 50 ball and go straight through the keeper, disappointing, for the traveling magpies and I would hope also the players and staff, all I can say is get well soon Kieran Charnock it looked a nasty one.
Magpie In Wigan

Postby tumbleweed » Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:31 pm

Understandably after warming the bench for 2 months.
tumbleweed

Postby Magpie In Wigan » Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:45 pm

tumbleweed wrote:Understandably after warming the bench for 2 months.

No argument from me TW
Magpie In Wigan

Postby Ian Livesey » Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:52 pm

Only reason I can think of is that they pushed us further and further back and once they got back into the game at 1-2, there was only one team and it seemed rather like a match from last season. 5 more minutes and we might have lost. Someone said a good side would've seen the game out at 2-0 by putting the foot on the ball and playing keep ball. Unfortunately, we couldn't. Whitham going off, and to some extent Charnock, changed the game and as I said, were forced back to our own goal. Alfreton are the third worse side I've seen (after Bradford and Stalybridge), I thought we could've won comfortably today especially more so at half time :(
Ian Livesey
Site Admin

Postby Magpie In Wigan » Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:06 pm

We are having a bit of a nightmare at the moment with results and injuries, hopefully halloween will soon be over and we can get back to winning ways
Magpie In Wigan

Postby Tempie » Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:11 pm

2 more points thrown away. We play very direct (long ball) that means the forward need to do an awful lot of running, chasing and must hold the ball up. You cannot expect that for 90min. The same thing happened on Monday. I said it all week, we need bring someone in to help out up front! Today's bench was very very weak. Think back to earlier in the season, Matts first substitution usually about 70min was Gonzales for walker.
Tempie

Postby andrewa » Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:22 am

The problem with a long ball game is that if it's not going well you end up continually handing back posession to the opponents. If you keep doing that then eventually they hit back.
andrewa

Postby Paul Brennan » Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:58 pm

Any team would be weaker if three key defenders are missing. However good Scott L is ( and I think he's very good) to have Teaguey, Keiran and Stephen J out, is a big problem -all excellent, experienced players who might have stopped Alfreton getting the point.
That said we do need to convert chances more clinically.
All in all, still in a good position -let's get back to winning on Saturday -COYM!
Paul Brennan

Return to Chorley FC