Nuneaton

Talk about the Magpies. Be respectful to others, no swearing, insulting posts or libellous remarks please.

Moderators: Ian Livesey, Pete Rothwell, Moderators

Nuneaton

Postby Prodigal son » Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:43 pm

Good 3 points and a decent performance taking the injury situation into account, very pleasing to get Steven Jordan back and delighted that Marcus got a terrific goal with a well taken finish. Once again could have had more goals but another clean sheet was brilliant. Well done to all the lads.
Expect to see some of the younger players on Tuesday at Squires Gate. COYM
Prodigal son

Re: Nuneaton

Postby Ian Livesey » Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:52 pm

Job done. Win, clean sheet, Carver back scoring.

But one thing that was missing today was any sort of atmosphere. It Resembled a library at times
Ian Livesey
Site Admin

Postby Lawsyd » Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:01 pm

@Prodigal son, I agree with you that it was good to see Jordan back. Having said that, he spent the afternoon frustrating the h*ll out of me. Without Teague & with a clearly nervous young lad in goal, the defence was crying out for a leader / organiser. With his experience at the highest level & on some of football's biggest stages (sorry for the sucessive cliches) Jordan should have stepped up & organised the defence. I know that we came out of the match with a clean sheet, but was that down to our great defending or was it down to a little bit of luck & poor finishing by Nuneaton? Let's face it, with 30 or 40 minutes to go, all results looked equally possible. So yes, I'm grateful for the three points & I accept that all teams occasionally have to win ugly, but we really do (at least until Teague returns) need a strong personality to organise & encourage our defence.
Lawsyd

Postby Tempie » Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:30 pm

I've got to disagree a little with the above post. I thought Jordan was excellent throughout. We had 3 outstanding players today Jordan, cotterell and carver.
Tempie

Postby Prodigal son » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:01 pm

Don't forget Jordan is still feeling his injury, so it was a good performance from my viewpoint, he looked "goosed" at the break but came back and finished the job. Agree with Tempie, Jake was superb (again) and Dale put a shift in again. All round a very good team effort.
Prodigal son

Postby mike1 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:13 pm

Prodigal son wrote:Don't forget Jordan is still feeling his injury, so it was a good performance from my viewpoint, he looked "goosed" at the break but came back and finished the job. Agree with Tempie, Jake was superb (again) and Dale put a shift in again. All round a very good team effort.

Totally agree about Steve Jordan - he did well to play at all and his experience shone through. I didn't notice any great panic in our defence in the second half when we had to see the game out against a team of FULL-TIMERS! There was some first-half shakiness with Dan Cowan for one taking time to find his feet (almost literally on a couple of occasions) but he blossomed in the second half. Shaun's handling was generally sound and he will grow in confidence - but I'm sure the goalkeeping coach will be wanting to work on his kicking. Meanwhile, the lads should think twice before passing back to him and employ that move only as an absolute emergency. This was a very satisfying three points, given the spate of injuries and the odd illness in the camp. Third place in this league, tough as it is, is an outstanding position to be in. Oh, and what a good decision it was to get the Bradford match in last month - since we went over there they have definitely started to improve. Only downside for me was today's attendance of under 1,000. The team deserves better than that, regardless of the cold weather.
mike1

Postby andrewa » Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:01 pm

Great to grind out a result with injuries, new players etc. I assume Nuneaton only brought a handful of fans, so the attendance was ok - there's a core of around 1000 which is given a boost when we play the well supported teams. Surely that's not too bad on a cold November afternoon?
andrewa

Postby Lawsyd » Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:27 pm

Prodigal son wrote:Don't forget Jordan is still feeling his injury, so it was a good performance from my viewpoint, he looked "goosed" at the break but came back and finished the job. Agree with Tempie, Jake was superb (again) and Dale put a shift in again. All round a very good team effort.

I fully accept what you say &, I promise you, I'm always glad to see Jordan in the team. However, even though he isn't yet fully fit after his injury, it would have been nice to see Jordan shouting at one or two of his team-mates now & again (not arguing with, but encouraging) & also having a quiet word to reassure the keeper - act as father figure if you like.
Lawsyd

Postby toploader999 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:22 am

If you watch Jordan carefully you will see he does have "words"with his team mates but he does it "sensibly" and in a way that is taken in the right way. You dont have to be a screamer to be heard. Watch him a bit closer and watch him when the balls down other end of pitch.
toploader999

Postby Paul Brennan » Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:10 am

mike1 wrote:

Totally agree about Steve Jordan - he did well to play at all and his experience shone through. I didn't notice any great panic in our defence in the second half when we had to see the game out against a team of FULL-TIMERS! There was some first-half shakiness with Dan Cowan for one taking time to find his feet (almost literally on a couple of occasions) but he blossomed in the second half. Shaun's handling was generally sound and he will grow in confidence - but I'm sure the goalkeeping coach will be wanting to work on his kicking. Meanwhile, the lads should think twice before passing back to him and employ that move only as an absolute emergency. This was a very satisfying three points, given the spate of injuries and the odd illness in the camp. Third place in this league, tough as it is, is an outstanding position to be in. Oh, and what a good decision it was to get the Bradford match in last month - since we went over there they have definitely started to improve. Only downside for me was today's attendance of under 1,000. The team deserves better than that, regardless of the cold weather.

Fully agree with every word, Mike -given the depleted squad and new additions getting used to our players and system, it was a good three points. If reports are to be believed Nuneaton gave Fylde a very good game in a narrow loss last month, so we should be pleased with our performance. To use another cliche-"long way to go yet" COYM
Paul Brennan

Return to Chorley FC