Squires Gate

Talk about the Magpies. Be respectful to others, no swearing, insulting posts or libellous remarks please.

Moderators: Ian Livesey, Pete Rothwell, Moderators

Squires Gate

Postby mark » Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:41 am

I don't know if I've been so wet at a match before in my life. I'd like to give credit to the team for doing a job in awful conditions. Southworth had a decent debut I thought and Roscoe capped a fine display with the winner. 2-1 was fair in the end and we responded very well to going behind.
mark
Site Admin

Re: Squires Gate

Postby Tempie » Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:43 am

The team did a decent job. Azam was outstanding and for me was the only one of the non-regulars to really stand out and catch the managers eye. I have to say though I'm sick to death of Matt (and others) going on about the development squad they are a million miles away from being good for a top end conference north first team. I'm sure Matt is just saying what he has to, in order not to annoy people. If he really does think they are 'knocking on the door' we are in trouble. the benefits are that the club promotes itself at youth level but that's about it.
Tempie

Postby Prodigal son » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:05 am

Was on way last night but turned back due to problems on M6, my view is that the youngsters "en masse" will struggle but that to put in one for a game will give better evidence of their ability. Let's not forget that last night only 4 of Saturday's starters were on duty, and a couple of em were in different positions, I think that makes it very difficult for the debutants to shine, but from other comments it sounds like Southworth had a decent game. I think Waqas Azam has been very unfortunate not to get a run in the team as in my view he is better going forward than Challenor, who maybe has the edge defensively.
Anyway we got over a banana skin and into the next round, COYM
Prodigal son

Postby stannesmagpie » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:51 am

It was good to see the Magpies coming to my home patch which meant I avoided the traffic problems on the M6. A filthy night weather wise and my heart sank to my soggy boots when Squires Gate scored a goal completely against the run of play. I didn't want us to surrender the trophy on a night like last night.But it all came right in the end, and both sets of players must be commended for their efforts in the awful conditions. It was real grass roots football as I heard a fellow Magpie say. Waqas Azam must have been shattered by the final whistle given the amount of running he did up and down the right touch line, and it would be good to see him get a chance in the side on a regular basis. On a separate note, my best wishes go to Kieran Charnock for a swift and complete recovery from his nasty eye injury.
stannesmagpie

Postby Tempie » Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:31 pm

Prodigal- Azam was absolutely excellent. Southworh did ok and worked hard without ever really posing a threat. We missed a few chances in the 1st half which would have made the night more comfortable. With hindsight i wish I'd have turned around too!
Tempie

Postby Jue » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:22 pm

When is the draw for the next round and who is still in?
Jue

Postby lesfow » Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:51 pm

Radcliffe Borough
Atherton Laburnum Rovers
Clitheroe
Daisy hill
Ashton Athletic
Fylde
West Didsbury or Padiham
lesfow

Postby mark » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:28 pm

Atherton LR, Daisy Hill, Ashton, Padiham and West Didsbury & Chorlton would all be new grounds for me, so I'm hoping for one of them away. I'll put together a decent beer guide for West Didsbury and Chorlton if we get them.

Nice to see Radcliffe Borough in the mix as well, we've had some good battles with them over the years.
mark
Site Admin

Postby mark » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:39 am

As ever, here's the details of the pledges after the Squires Gate match:
Report of the pledges complete with a spreadsheet listing everyone's pledge
mark
Site Admin

Postby Jue » Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:38 pm

Apart from the obvious one, none of the others are new grounds - I'd also like our first visit to Mill Farm to be the Christmas fixture.
Jue

Postby mark » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:15 pm

Daisy Hill away on December 6th, apparently they play at Westhoughton Town's old ground the New Sirs
mark
Site Admin

Postby magpie1875 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:10 am

mark wrote:Daisy Hill away on December 6th, apparently they play at Westhoughton Town's old ground the New Sirs

they are the same club, they changed their name for five years to try and appeal more to the people in westhoughton. http://www.fchd.info/DAISYHIL.HTM
magpie1875

Return to Chorley FC