Frost protection

Talk about the Magpies. Be respectful to others, no swearing, insulting posts or libellous remarks please.

Moderators: Ian Livesey, Pete Rothwell, Moderators

Frost protection

Postby mike1 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:10 pm

Following yesterday's late postponement, is it worth reopening the question of using plastic sheeting and / or straw to protect that problematic area of the pitch in the shelter of the main stand which does not benefit from the thawing agent of sunshine? I understand and appreciate that conditions unexpectedly deteriorated as late as lunchtime but clearly the section of the pitch in front of the stand remained frostbound and I felt it was hard on the visitors to have travelled to Victory Park for nothing. Looking ahead to New Year's Day and the big one against Fylde, it would be a great pity - and a considerable financial loss to the club - if a similar thing occurred then. The takings on New Year's Day compared to a Tuesday evening rearranged match would in themselves surely cover the cost (or most of it) of the sheeting. I believe it is at least worth reconsidering. Also,a brief message yesterday on the website around lunchtime to the effect that the referee was coming in early to check the pitch would have been very much appreciated by our own fans coming in fruitlessly from out of town. No news on the web throughout the morning was at least in my own case taken to be good news.
mike1

Re: Frost protection

Postby Ian Livesey » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:02 pm

I went to Bamber Bridge v Trafford yesterday, their stand is positioned at the same angle to the sun as ours. The area in front of it was white over. Think we had an over officious referee. Did we get a local referee to look at it earlier? I knew it wouldn't be on as in previous occasions it's been off. You're right about the Fylde game. Don't forget same thing happened last season for the Fylde game.
Ian Livesey
Site Admin

Postby tumbleweed » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:55 pm

Second hand wagon sheeting, ( ie, trailer sheeting for arctics ) can be obtained quite cheaply when discarded for small tears etc. anyone know a transport firm ?.
tumbleweed

Postby reco » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:07 pm

Ian Livesey wrote:I went to Bamber Bridge v Trafford yesterday, their stand is positioned at the same angle to the sun as ours. The area in front of it was white over. Think we had an over officious referee. Did we get a local referee to look at it earlier? I knew it wouldn't be on as in previous occasions it's been off. You're right about the Fylde game. Don't forget same thing happened last season for the Fylde game.

I don't think it was that Ian. I had arrived yesterday just as the ref called up and was needing a couple of pieces for a friend who covers Shrewsbury so grabbed a chat with Jamie on the pitch and the area in front of the main stand was felt like walking on Rock.

My suggestion would be the heat lamps you see on Police watch. I was watching a piece on Forest Green Rovers and their owner Dale Vince mentioned that is where they got them (maybe in jest). Could work for us or if not CST could use it as a fund raiser.
reco

Postby magpie1875 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:47 pm

i am sure all this does not come free/cheaply, so where does the money come from to purchase, who is going to put them out and where do we keep them when is sunny?
magpie1875

Postby Tempie » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:11 am

I'm sure they aren't that expensive. We'd only need it for a third of the pitch. They could be stored in the groundsmans shed. In terms of putting them out surely the club could ask for volunteers. I've repeated said that I'll help with the pitch. We haven't got a proper groundsman who's there on match days but I'd happily help more.
Tempie

Postby Paul Brennan » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:18 am

Agree with Mike and Tempie -the troublesome area is relatively small, the covers would be used quite a bit and would ultimately be paid for by getting Saturday/holiday games played. We must have lost several £K when the game against Fylde last season was re-arranged to a night match.
Paul Brennan

Postby Tempie » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:30 am

In the club's defence was the fylde match not due to water logging? Either way though surely covers would have saved Saturday's game thus saving money and our reputation. There was a lot of unhappy Stafford fans.
Tempie

Postby charnock1 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:43 am

Not only were there alot of unhappy Stafford fans - there were alot of unhappy Chorley fans !!
charnock1

Postby magpie1875 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:47 am

magpie1875

Postby Tempie » Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:48 pm

I'm not suggesting that we buy air filled sheeting to cover the pitch because it clearly very expensive and they are often designed to be left on for long periods. If the temperatures are that low then just deal with the fact that games will be off. But in situations like Friday night/Saturday I think that some simple well-pegged down sheeting would have protected that area of the pitch. Most of us have put a thin sheet on our windscreen at some point and it works. Any way it would cost money and need man power so maybe it's not possible or not worth the hassle.

But what is inexcusable is the way in which we handled the postponements. The club got a tweet at about 9am asking how the pitch was. The response was a sarcastic tweet about it being mostly green with a few brown bits! Then followed some more tweets advertising the game. All this let everyone to believe the game wasn't in doubt. It wasn't until 12 that any inspection was even talked about. As someone said earlier the pitch was rock hard so why wasn't it even mentioned?? Could have tweeted at 9am that it needed an inspection. I'm not blaming the tweeter because I'm sure he is only passed information from the club. I keep saying it but there needs to be someone responsible for the pitch/ground in attendance eArly on match days that can make these decisions. At the last game when it was pissing down there was only one fork available to use before and during the match. I've no doubt I'll be called a moaning sod but I only want the best for the club on and off the pitch.

The fc United game was called off late but if you look at their Twitter feed they showed pictures and let everybody know that the game was in doubt. They tried uv lighting but that for growing grass not thawing so it wasn't going to work. Anyway onwards and upwards. Let's get Stafford beat! I'm of to Morocco in the morning so I'm gutted I won't be at the game! COYM
Tempie

Postby Junction 8 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:22 pm

It's going to be freezing tonight and tomorrow ...
Doesn't look too promising for game ...
Junction 8

Postby Ian Livesey » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:25 pm

Chance for revenge if/when we beat Stafford. Guiseley at home in next round
Ian Livesey
Site Admin

Postby mark » Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:03 pm

Off again, new date is Tuesday December 6th. So the Daisy Hill game is off as well.
mark
Site Admin

Postby Magpie In Wigan » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:25 pm

I have read the post regarding costs of sheets, but surely the bigger cost of postponed games is a large backlog of games that could surely put paid to promotion hopes, seems to me inflatable covers should be high on the list of priorities
Magpie In Wigan

Postby 12th Man » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:33 pm

Great shout, when can you have the money to us?
12th Man

Postby Ian Livesey » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:09 pm

What about sheets off the sides of lorry trailers like someone has said?
Ian Livesey
Site Admin

Postby Charlie Magpie » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:11 pm

Should we have taken more notice of the weather forecast when re-arranging the Stafford trophy match for Tuesday night?

The BBC weather forecast for the forth-coming week is usually quite accurate, and Saturday's forecast for Tuesday was for a cold day with clear skies, sunshine and temperatures dropping to below freezing in the evening. The forecast for Wednesday was for increasing cloud, a chance of light rain and temperatures rising to a balmy 7 degrees C. about 7.00pm.

Of course, forecasts can be incorrect but had we consulted the weather forecast and opted for a Wednesday evening game, the chances are the game would not be postponed again.
Charlie Magpie

Postby Ian Livesey » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:15 pm

We have to try don't we
Ian Livesey
Site Admin

Postby Magpie In Wigan » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:48 pm

12th man I said it should be high on priorities I chip in where I can, I pledge money turn up to every game I can home and away, shift allowing, if we set up a separate fund for this it would probably do well people don't mind contributing if they know what they are contributing to, rearranged games must cost the club money, if only for wasted food and programmes, so sorry there isn't really any need for sarcasm is there we should all be in this together
Magpie In Wigan

Postby charnock1 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:54 pm

I like that word Ian - trying

Someone tried to put a valid question on the twitter site about the state of the pitch on Saturday and they were met with sarcasm - I believe it may have been Reco

I think it was mike1 who tried to put his point on here regarding frost / matches off and sheeting

I tried to start a debate on attendances and it was removed - I presume by the admins

Trying - a great word that
charnock1

Postby Magpie In Wigan » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:59 pm

Sometimes you have to believe in the ambition of the club, here is one for you, fylde may lose Rowe soon big boots to fill, if they go on a bad run we are poised, wouldn't do us much good if we have a big fixture list at the end of the season, that could potentially cost us a lot more
Magpie In Wigan

Postby Ian Livesey » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:00 pm

charnock1 wrote:I like that word Ian - trying

Someone tried to put a valid question on the twitter site about the state of the pitch on Saturday and they were met with sarcasm - I believe it may have been Reco

I think it was mike1 who tried to put his point on here regarding frost / matches off and sheeting

I tried to start a debate on attendances and it was removed - I presume by the admins

Trying - a great word that

Yep, saw that. I didn't half laugh. Felt sorry for Reco who was asking a genuine question.
Ian Livesey
Site Admin

Postby Ian Livesey » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:04 pm

Looking back it was tumbleweed. It's a good option I think. They'll be cheaper surely than proper sheeting, and would do the job.
Ian Livesey
Site Admin

Postby Jue » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:12 pm

I do think it's time for another crowdfunder campaign to ensure we don't lose out too many weekend games? If the supporters can raise half of it, maybe the club can match the other half?
Jue

Postby tumbleweed » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:50 pm

Eddy Stobart loves advertising, :wink: :wink:
tumbleweed

Postby 12th Man » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:07 pm

It's the use of the word 'we' in the phrases 'why can't we?' and 'we have to try' when what you actually mean is 'why can't someone else?'

Lets address each point in turn;

'Why didn't we check the weather forecast?' - the league dictate when the replays will be and gave us two dates, both Tuesdays, we have no say in the matter and certainly not enough time to influence from Saturday to Tuesday.

'Someone asked how the pitch was?' - most people, and Reco in particular, will know fine well that the club can't advertise pitch status or speculate as to if a game is likely to be on or not. We have got into trouble for doing that in the past as no matter how unlikely it is a game will be played it is only a referee who can call it off.

'Inflatable covers should be high on the list of priorities' - over which of our long list of expensive jobs? I'll mention a few examples;

Framing and sheeting of the rear of the main stand
Refurbing under main stand including a number of fire doors
Social club roof
Pilling lane end roof/facia's guttering
Main stand guttering
Internal car park resurfacing

I'm probably missing a few things but you get the general idea

'Lorry sheeting' - ok, this one seems doable, so who's going to take it on and look into the following?;

A - what benefit do you get other than protection from a light frost?
B - who is going to procure them?
C - if there is a cost who is going to pay?
D - who is going to take responsibility for monitoring the weather and coming down to the club to get them out of storage and securely fit them (could be a job for several hands)?
E - who is going to remove, pack and store them after use?
F - where will they be securely stored when not in use?

I'm not saying its not a good idea, I'm saying that that is all it is, an idea without a plan. And that is my point, lots of folks have idea's, some good some bad, but very rarely does someone say 'I'll do that' and take responsibility.

We all know that this club isn't really owned by anybody and it's a collective of volunteers with a very small group of employees who keep it going. We do our best to keep on top of the endless problems that keep cropping up but there isn't the man power to keep on top of even that.

So over to you, you've done the talking and have come up with an outline solution, now who is going to come up with a workable plan and make it happen?
12th Man

Postby Ian R » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:28 pm

Ouch,put up or shut up.Keep your opinions to yourselfs.
Ian R

Postby Junction 8 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:53 pm

Tonights latest score in FA TROPHY

ALFRETON 0 GAINSBOROUGH 0
Junction 8

Postby 12th Man » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:57 pm

Ian R - not a case of keeping opinions to ones self, merely answering the questions posed and suggesting that instead of asking 'why doesn't someone?' try saying 'I'd be willing to do this'
12th Man

Next

Return to Chorley FC