Frost protection

Talk about the Magpies. Be respectful to others, no swearing, insulting posts or libellous remarks please.

Moderators: Ian Livesey, Pete Rothwell, Moderators

Re: Frost protection

Postby Ian R » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:34 pm

12th Man wrote:Ian R - not a case of keeping opinions to ones self, merely answering the questions posed and suggesting that instead of asking 'why doesn't someone?' try saying 'I'd be willing to do this'

Thought you would know me better Darren,my comment was at the establishment,not the paying public.Appreciate all the work the volunteers do ,.Sometimes feel it's us against them
Ian R

Postby Magpie In Wigan » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:02 am

http://tarpaflex.co.uk/acatalog/Economy ... BBLUE.html might only give a small amount of protection but got to be better than nothing light enough to put down easily, with it being light would need holding down but wouldn't have thought it would be that difficult I will happily chip in for a few of these anyone else want to join me, even if we doubled up with them to lay two layers would have thought it would help
Magpie In Wigan

Postby mike1 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:25 am

[quote="12th Man"]

']Why didn't we check the weather forecast?[/i]' - the league dictate when the replays will be and gave us two dates, both Tuesdays, we have no say in the matter and certainly not enough time to influence from Saturday to Tuesday.

Something not quite right here, surely? Since when has 'the league' had jurisdiction over an FA competition and the authority to 'give...dates' for cup-ties? It's hard to argue against Charlie Magpie's view that it would have been a good idea to consider the weather forecast and opt for Wednesday in the light of that. I note that Alfreton staged their replay this evening (Wednesday). This is not their normal midweek night. So did 'the league' grant them that permission? Maybe they studied the weather forecast.
Last edited by mike1 on Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
mike1

Postby Ian R » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:53 am

Ian R wrote:
12th Man wrote:Ian R - not a case of keeping opinions to ones self, merely answering the questions posed and suggesting that instead of asking 'why doesn't someone?' try saying 'I'd be willing to do this'

T
Ian R

Postby 12th Man » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:35 pm

Magpie In Wigan wrote:http://tarpaflex.co.uk/acatalog/Economy-Tarpaulin-Blue-4-5m-x-9-0m---Single-T8BBLUE.html might only give a small amount of protection but got to be better than nothing light enough to put down easily, with it being light would need holding down but wouldn't have thought it would be that difficult I will happily chip in for a few of these anyone else want to join me, even if we doubled up with them to lay two layers would have thought it would help

I'm not 100% sure but I reckon it needs to be far more robust in the vein of Wagon sheeting, a mate of mine got this from Stuart canvas products;

Frost Protection – Flat sheets
(18 off) 36m x 12m of 130 gsm Frost / Germination material produced as a flat sheet
Complete with hems, eyelets and velcro
Surface Area 7776 m2
TOTAL £6930.00

These things are heavy, over 20kg a sheet I'm led to believe, and take up some considerable space so the questions around storage, and indeed who will take responsibility for fitting and removing, still remain.

mike1 wrote:
12th Man wrote:
']Why didn't we check the weather forecast?[/i]' - the league dictate when the replays will be and gave us two dates, both Tuesdays, we have no say in the matter and certainly not enough time to influence from Saturday to Tuesday.

Something not quite right here, surely? Since when has 'the league' had jurisdiction over an FA competition and the authority to 'give...dates' for cup-ties? It's hard to argue against Charlie Magpie's view that it would have been a good idea to consider the weather forecast and opt for Wednesday in the light of that. I note that Alfreton staged their replay this evening (Wednesday). This is not their normal midweek night. So did 'the league' grant them that permission? Maybe they studied the weather forecast.

Your quite right Mike, it was the FA not the league. Same reasons though, we were told two dates either Tuesday or Tuesday. Even if we had another fixture on those dates the FA would dictate that the cup takes precident (as stated by the Ref when we questioned him about replay dates).
12th Man

Postby Cork_Magpie » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:19 pm

If a reply was required, would it take place on Sat 10 Dec, with the 1st Rd tie then held mid-week?
Cork_Magpie

Postby reco » Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:02 pm

Cork_Magpie wrote:If a reply was required, would it take place on Sat 10 Dec, with the 1st Rd tie then held mid-week?

Boston have tweeted that if their game against Witton requires a replay then it will be on the 10th Dec 3pm KO. So I would assume that would be the same for us if we can't play next Tuesday.
reco

Postby Ian Livesey » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:01 pm

We wouldn't need the full pitch cover, just the area in front of the main stand
Ian Livesey
Site Admin

Postby 12th Man » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:27 pm

Shall I put you down to sort it out then
12th Man

Postby Jue » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:46 am

If the storage situation was sorted out then I would imagine those people commenting on this thread would, when required, come down and assist putting the cover on and taking it off. I can help as and when, but wouldn't be able to 100% commit to every time it needed doing.

We can't really start a campaign to raise the funds until we know that it can be securely stored at the club somewhere.
Jue

Postby Ian Livesey » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:30 am

Jue wrote:If the storage situation was sorted out then I would imagine those people commenting on this thread would, when required, come down and assist putting the cover on and taking it off. I can help as and when, but wouldn't be able to 100% commit to every time it needed doing.

We can't really start a campaign to raise the funds until we know that it can be securely stored at the club somewhere.

I can help putting it on and removing.
Maybe one of these can be used for storage
Ian Livesey
Site Admin

Postby 12th Man » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:00 pm

Nice to see folks are willing to offer help and time! I don't want to be negative but you still need an outline plan that defines;

What standard do you need, is it the canvas material previously identified or lightweight sheeting?
How much do you need to cover, is it just the area by the main stand or is it greater?
If the whole pitch is not being covered then what standard of protection is being achieved? (i.e. will it only protect against a light frost, after all if its low temperatures the exposed areas of the pitch will remain frozen)
What level of protection does it offer, there will be a band width of temperatures that a product will offer protection against, also does it prevent the ground from freezing hard or is it just protection from surface frost?

Once you've got the requirement above you'll be able to work out the size and weight of the sheeting and understand how many people are needed for manual handling and how big an area you'll need to store it in. There will also likely be a storage spec identified by the supplier (it might say a dry area or store at a certain temperature)

Once thats understood you'll need to do a cost proposal (how much?)

Then someone will need to take formal responsibility for initially defining and writing a procedure (health and safety, council will insist) then monitoring weather and managing a team of volunteers to unpack, fit, re-pack and store the covers.

I'm afraid guys that 'I'll help if I can' isn't taking responsibility for making it happen. Like anything within an organisation like ours it is not as simple as it appears and usually takes a lot of planning and a big commitment on someones part.

You could do to approach someone with a bit of expert knowledge to help with the requirements definition, have you thought of contacting PMK, our resident grounds expert in Fulham?
12th Man

Postby 12th Man » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:27 pm

12th Man wrote:You could do to approach someone with a bit of expert knowledge to help with the requirements definition, have you thought of contacting PMK, our resident grounds expert in Fulham?

I meant PMC obviously, sorry Peter!
12th Man

Postby tumbleweed » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:01 pm

Try throwing pie r squared into the equasion, hell were only trying to be helpful, :shock:P.S. you forgot a doctors certificate :roll:
tumbleweed

Postby 12th Man » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:07 pm

Only pointing out what someone will need to do TW, unfortunately this is the hard truth that folks don't realise. Most people think its all really easy and don't get that someone will have to do all of that. Want to be helpful? Then take the job on.
Tell you what, if one of you takes responsibility I will write the procedure and clear it via our ground inspector, I'll even help you find storage space in the ground.
12th Man

Postby Tempie » Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:14 am

Right this has just got ridiculous. A group of supporters have come up with some pretty good ideas as to how to protect a problem area of the pitch from minor frost, we've said we will help with the labour too. But that's not good enough!!!

I'm sorry but what are the club doing?? you want a supporter to do the health and safety? Seriously!!!

We had this last year when people complained that the pitch was rubbish and the groundsman did nothing on match days (which he wasn't)! So what did the club do?! Ask for a supporter to volunteer of course. Which I did. Since then I saw the groundsman once who showed me where the fork lives and took my phone number. Since then I've never seen him, he phoned a lot though to ask me to cover for him because he wanted to watch Preston!!

So since then I've forked the pitch and replaced divots on my own. I've not had so much as a cup of tea of the club and the only to say thanks has been Jeremy lee (who is always nice). There are a hell of a lot of people that already volunteer a lot more than me too.

So from my point of view it's no I'm not doing the bloody health and safety assessment. Get the groundsman (or whoever does it) to do it.

And no I don't want and meet the manager night to discuss this!
Tempie

Postby Ian Livesey » Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:28 am

Let's not bother then. After all, it's the club that foot the cost of postponing games because of frost. To the regular fan, it's just a matchday with no match :roll:
Ian Livesey
Site Admin

Postby 12th Man » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:02 am

You talk about the club like it's an entity, it's not, it's a collection of volunteers who give their time to fund raise, organise and put a team out every week. It's not my club, I'm not even a fan, I just do a job that no one else wants to do.
You've tossed out some ideas but none of you wants to take responsibility. So I tell you what, let's not bother eh?
I'll not bother for a start and I hold the safety certificate, can't hold a game at vp without one of them. The stewards can stop bothering as well, Roy Miller can stop putting catering on VOLUNTARILY. You get the point?
I've pointed you in the right direction and offered to help but that's not going enough, you still want someone else to do it
Ideas are all well and good, it's taking responsibility that no one is prepared to do
12th Man

Postby magpie1875 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:09 pm

Why not arrange a meeting, where the people willing to put their hand's in the air can meet up, discuss the requirements face to face, maybe look around the ground to find a potential location to store the sheets and get something organised properly rather than everyone bleating from both sides of the cyber-fence :|

Maybe the trust can co-ordinate/arbitrate the meeting?
magpie1875

Postby 12th Man » Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:19 am

Great idea, Im up for that.
12th Man

Postby Magpie In Wigan » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:11 am

I'm up for a meet as long as can fit it in around my shift work, with the amount of frost we are getting at the moment it may be worth buying a small sheet as a tester, we could gain an idea on whether the thinner sheets would be of any use, I would try it myself but my garden is astro turf
Magpie In Wigan

Postby JP » Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:27 pm

According to Bamber Bridges programme yesterday they have acquired some frost covers to help with the area covered by the shadow of their stand.
JP
MIS Prediction League Winner 2015/16

Postby Jue » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:35 pm

magpie1875 wrote:Maybe the trust can co-ordinate/arbitrate the meeting?

If enough people attend the meetings then I'm sure they will add this as a topic.
Jue

Postby 12th Man » Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:32 pm

Standby...
12th Man

Postby Ian Livesey » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:06 pm

Ian Livesey
Site Admin

Postby extech » Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:00 pm

Could the trust chip in with a donation?
extech

Postby Ryan » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:52 pm

extech wrote:Could the trust chip in with a donation?

The Supporters Trust has just chipped in £222.00 to the Crowdfunder. This figure represents £1 for every adult and child member the Trust has this season.
Ryan

Postby mike1 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:15 am

Ryan wrote:

The Supporters Trust has just chipped in £222.00 to the Crowdfunder. This figure represents £1 for every adult and child member the Trust has this season.

Great news! The discussion on this site, despite the misgivings expressed here and there, has perhaps borne a little fruit. It's simply a very sensible move and the club is to be congratulated on taking the initiative to make enquiries and then come up with a deal. These covers sound just right for our needs. Now then, expect a very mild winter! It's often the way things work out. I'll definitely be donating at the Fylde home match, as I'm sure will many others.
mike1

Postby Ian Livesey » Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:24 pm

Are the covers only coming once the £2K is raised?
Ian Livesey
Site Admin

Postby 12th Man » Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:24 pm

mike1 wrote:
Ryan wrote:

Great news! The discussion on this site, despite the misgivings expressed here and there, has perhaps borne a little fruit. It's simply a very sensible move and the club is to be congratulated on taking the initiative to make enquiries and then come up with a deal. These covers sound just right for our needs. Now then, expect a very mild winter! It's often the way things work out. I'll definitely be donating at the Fylde home match, as I'm sure will many others.

Nope, it's all down to considerable time, effort and research on Graham Watkinsons part. It didn't happen by magic nor did Santa's elves sprinkle some pixie dust. By the way these are proper covers at a very cheap price (5 figure sums would not be considered unreasonable in this area) so we should all say a big thank you to him.
12th Man

PreviousNext

Return to Chorley FC