Lancs F A Trophy

Talk about the Magpies. Be respectful to others, no swearing, insulting posts or libellous remarks please.

Moderators: Ian Livesey, Pete Rothwell, Moderators

Lancs F A Trophy

Postby Prodigal son » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:01 pm

Just seen on the LFA website that we play Ashton Athletic in the Semi final of this competition on 21/02 17, Radcliffe Borough playing the winner of the Clitheroe/Fylde tie.
Prodigal son
 
Posts: 1182
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:03 pm

Re: Lancs F A Trophy

Postby Two4joy » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:16 am

Quelle surprise !! :roll:
Two4joy
 
Posts: 352
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:58 pm
Location: Horwich

Re: Lancs F A Trophy

Postby Junction 8 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:47 pm

Clitheroe 2 £ylde 1. Full time
Junction 8
 
Posts: 509
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:15 am
Location: Great Knowley

Re: Lancs F A Trophy

Postby charnock1 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:56 pm

What a shame

just goes to show how this competition is completely devalued and what a weak trophy it is seen as

is there any point in Chorley entering anymore ??
charnock1
 
Posts: 286
Joined: Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:03 pm

Re: Lancs F A Trophy

Postby mark » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:44 pm

If any of you have done the tour of Old Trafford, you may have noticed that the cup given pride of place is the Manchester Senior Cup, that being the first competition which Manchester United won, and in which they still compete, albeit not with the first team.

Our current elevated status means that the Lancashire Junior Cup, known for some years now as the Lancashire FA Trophy, currently lacks the glamour ties of the 1990s and 2000s, when the chance to take on Morecambe or Accrington was a welcome break from league struggles. The fact is that Fylde are the only Lancashire club above us in the pyramid. This is partly a consequence of the increasing Southern accent of the National League and semi-professional football in general, and partly, it must be admitted, that some of the bigger clubs in the historic county palatine but outside the current, much reduced, boundary such as Marine, Southport and Barrow, all winners in living memory, no longer participate.

However it is a fine thing for us to say that we have won this cup more times than anyone else. Here's a few of the past winners who haven't won it anywhere near as many times as we have

Div 2
Wigan Athletic (11 times)

Div3
Bury
Rochdale
Fleetwood Town

Div 4
Blackpool
Morecambe (11 times)
Accrington Stanley

Other former league sides
Nelson
Darwen
Southport (7 times)
Barrow
New Brighton

In fact looking at the list of champions there are precious few smaller sides who have won it. Great Harwood Town managed it in 1992, and Bamber Bridge in 1995, when they were at their peak.

We have won it 17 times, including three of the last six. Before that you had to go back to 1983, before most fans' time.

When I was younger there was much talk of the mighty team of the late 1950s and early 1960s, spearheaded by the incomparable Peter Watson. Well in 30 years time there will more than likely be a lot of old fellows chuntering on about how great we were in the 2010s, and I dearly hope I am still around to join in. And I also hope that by then we will have won this famous old cup more than twice as often as anyone else.
mark
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1437
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:02 pm
Location: Manchester

Re: Lancs F A Trophy

Postby mark » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:45 pm

charnock1 wrote:What a shame

just goes to show how this competition is completely devalued and what a weak trophy it is seen as

is there any point in Chorley entering anymore ??

In summary, yes
mark
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1437
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:02 pm
Location: Manchester

Re: Lancs F A Trophy

Postby Tempie » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:00 am

Charnock- fylde will probably be out of it next year anyway but why should that mean we don't bother? We should try to win it as many times as possible. What about the other clubs, we played away 3 times this season and each time helped a smaller club get a pay day. Daisy hill was a lovely club.
Tempie
 
Posts: 451
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:18 pm

Re: Lancs F A Trophy

Postby charnock1 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:31 am

Great post by Mark by the way and looking at his post that sums up my point completely

Look at the teams he mentions who used to partake, now look at who enter - the likes of Daisy Hill, Charnock Richard etc. No disrespect to these
teams as they are lovely clubs.

But the end product is a night out at the Macron now in front of one man and his dog - as the so called bigger teams cant be bothered to enter

So why should we ??

I'll go as far as to say if we get promoted this season - we wont enter next
charnock1
 
Posts: 286
Joined: Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:03 pm

Re: Lancs F A Trophy

Postby Tempie » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:00 pm

Yes I'd agree with that if we did go up we wouldn't enter. Maybe we would enter the lancs senior cup though. Then we'd be the weakest team in it. Just like charnock are in the junior cup. All those other clubs like Wigan, bury etc all grew and left the junior cup for the senior cup.

That's something that hopefully we will do. We are a big non-league club and hopefully we will continue to grow. But not bothering to enter a competition because we are one of the 'top dogs' is just silly. Should tranmere opt out of the FA trophy because they are the best team and playing the likes of Chorley is pointless?
Tempie
 
Posts: 451
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:18 pm

Re: Lancs F A Trophy

Postby Jue » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:41 pm

IF we do go up, I would really like us to stay in this competition. The chance to visit the lower league opponents is a breath of fresh air really when compared to the long haul trips to the likes of Worcester, Gloucester and Co.

I'm yet to visit Holker Old Boys, so here's hoping we get them next season!
Jue
 
Posts: 2824
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:35 am
Location: Chorley

Re: Lancs F A Trophy

Postby Ian Livesey » Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:21 pm

Yes, we should enter every year. Like someone says, Squires Gate, Daisy Hill and Prestwich have all had a good payday and the opportunity to test themselves against a Step 2 club such as ours. Don't forget, 10 years ago, we wanted the team to test themselves against the likes of Morecambe, Southport etc, and didn't we beat a couple of good sides on the way to the final against Southport 7/8 years ago? One of my fondest memories is beating Morecambe at the old 'Crusty Park' in the Lancs Cup, back when we were backed by a vocal crowd (Moly's era IIRC)
Ian Livesey
Site Admin
 
Posts: 5914
Joined: Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:30 am
Location: In the Press Box

Re: Lancs F A Trophy

Postby mike1 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:13 pm

Junction 8 wrote:Clitheroe 2 £ylde 1. Full time


Regardless of the team Fylde put out - and it did contain only perhaps four or five first-choice players - that win was a tremendous achievement by Clitheroe who apparently were good value for a 2-0 lead before coming under intense late pressure. It goes to show that nothing can be taken for granted in cup-ties at any level. And Fylde have slipped up spectacularly before in this competition, notably once at home to Ashton Athletic if memory serves. We will have to work hard for our place in the final. Clitheroe are on something of a run and if they get past Radcliffe Borough, as they should, then they will look to improve on their defeat in the final a couple of years ago. I wonder how good their striker Kurt Willoughby (scorer of both goals against Fylde) is and whether any of our management team were watching.
mike1
 
Posts: 526
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:35 am

Re: Lancs F A Trophy

Postby magpie1875 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:29 pm

Jue wrote:IF we do go up, I would really like us to stay in this competition. The chance to visit the lower league opponents is a breath of fresh air really when compared to the long haul trips to the likes of Worcester, Gloucester and Co.

I'm yet to visit Holker Old Boys, so here's hoping we get them next season!



IF we go up, then we would be entered into the Lancashire Senior Cup, where Barrow and Southport both played this season competing against the likes of Blackpool, Accrington Stanley, Bury, Oldham Athletic, Fleetwood Town, Rochdale, Bolton Wanderers, Wigan Athletic, Blackburn Rovers, Preston North End, Burnley, Everton and Liverpool!
magpie1875
 
Posts: 108
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:43 pm

Re: Lancs F A Trophy

Postby Ian Livesey » Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:28 pm

magpie1875 wrote:
Jue wrote:IF we do go up, I would really like us to stay in this competition. The chance to visit the lower league opponents is a breath of fresh air really when compared to the long haul trips to the likes of Worcester, Gloucester and Co.

I'm yet to visit Holker Old Boys, so here's hoping we get them next season!



IF we go up, then we would be entered into the Lancashire Senior Cup, where Barrow and Southport both played this season competing against the likes of Blackpool, Accrington Stanley, Bury, Oldham Athletic, Fleetwood Town, Rochdale, Bolton Wanderers, Wigan Athletic, Blackburn Rovers, Preston North End, Burnley, Everton and Liverpool!


Surely wouldn't that be our choice?
Ian Livesey
Site Admin
 
Posts: 5914
Joined: Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:30 am
Location: In the Press Box

Re: Lancs F A Trophy

Postby magpie1875 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:18 pm

Ian Livesey wrote:
magpie1875 wrote:
Jue wrote:IF we do go up, I would really like us to stay in this competition. The chance to visit the lower league opponents is a breath of fresh air really when compared to the long haul trips to the likes of Worcester, Gloucester and Co.

I'm yet to visit Holker Old Boys, so here's hoping we get them next season!



IF we go up, then we would be entered into the Lancashire Senior Cup, where Barrow and Southport both played this season competing against the likes of Blackpool, Accrington Stanley, Bury, Oldham Athletic, Fleetwood Town, Rochdale, Bolton Wanderers, Wigan Athletic, Blackburn Rovers, Preston North End, Burnley, Everton and Liverpool!


Surely wouldn't that be our choice?


When as a club ever chosen which competition it plays in ?
magpie1875
 
Posts: 108
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:43 pm

Re: Lancs F A Trophy

Postby mark » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:37 pm

Marine and Skem appear to be able to pick and choose whether they enter this competition
mark
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1437
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:02 pm
Location: Manchester

Re: Lancs F A Trophy

Postby Ian Livesey » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:49 pm

Barrow and Southport did too. As did Morecambe
Ian Livesey
Site Admin
 
Posts: 5914
Joined: Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:30 am
Location: In the Press Box

Re: Lancs F A Trophy

Postby magpie1875 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:13 am

Clubs from outside the current LFA boundary but who are within the traditional Lancashire boarder can choose to enter LFA competitions (Marine, Skem, Southport, Barrow) in addition tho their own county cup (Liverpool Senior Cup, Cumberland Senior Cup), but have to enter the one relevant to their level. Conf north and below = challenge trophy, conf premier and above senior cup.

Morecambe have always played on either Challenge Trophy or Senior Cup, dependent on their league status.
magpie1875
 
Posts: 108
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:43 pm


Return to Chorley FC

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron