Season so far- thoughts?

Talk about the Magpies. Be respectful to others, no swearing, insulting posts or libellous remarks please.

Moderators: Ian Livesey, Pete Rothwell, Moderators

Season so far- thoughts?

Postby Tempie » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:26 am

Well we are on our little Christmas break. So what do we think of the season so far?

3rd in the league is a success and I really enjoyed the Salford game. I think the team is really solid, hardworking and in general a good side. The only problem is that it's all just got a bit dull! The last 3 home games have summed it up. Not many goals, not many chances, not much skill, no genuine pace and not much to get excited about. When josh hine had the ball at his feet there was anticipation and excitement that something might happen, same with Darren (even though he ran it out of play a lot)!

As fans we love a player that excites us but we've just not one! When was the last time we sang about a player? Sefton Gonzales at the beginning of the season? Stephenson, hine, dean, burns all exciting! Maybe not reliable or hardworking but certainly exciting on their day. Even Teague looks a shadow of the player he was. I looked at the bench on Saturday and there wasn't a single substitution that could change the game in the attacking 3rd. Alex provided some hope but that's been whipped away.

So for Christmas- please Matt sign a forward that has some pace or skill, or scores goals so that we can have someone to get excited about. (Albeit for 10min off the bench because we all no walker and carver will start lol).
Tempie

Re: Season so far- thoughts?

Postby Magpie In Wigan » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:43 am

can understand your point to an extent especially about Alex, but to be fair we are going against teams with far larger budgets this season, so I think we are punching above our weight at the moment, some good overall play but as you say not too much to get excited about, been a much better season than I was expecting though. Although we seem to be pretty much one dimensional nearly every ball goes out to the wings to be floated into the box, if your going to play every ball into the box like that at least throw Roscoe in the box and try to get more pace on the balls, overall can't really complain too much though, would really have loved to see Alex show his worth he may have been the spark we needed. Just hoping £ylde implode hate seeing them sat on the top of the pile.
Magpie In Wigan

Postby Prodigal son » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:45 am

I think you sum up our season well, the signings, particularly at the back have been excellent but oh how we need a bit of flair, my thoughts were exactly the same when I looked at the bench on Saturday, rather than play totally safe I think I would have liked to see young Jordan Darr on the bench, he has pace to burn and great enthusiasm, I accept he probably needs to "fill out" a bit but surely fir 10 minutes at the end it would be worth the chance of a goal.
Please try and get us another striker who really can finish then we really do have a strong chance to finish the season in style. COYM
Prodigal son

Postby Tempie » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:14 pm

I just want to see some attacking! Azam is good going forward and could get forward as a wing back but he's not over 21 so not trusted same applies to darr as it did to Myers. Beasley/Jarvis are more attacking too. We can't blame the strikers because it must be hard. Carver was ill on Friday but had to play 90min on sat. He spends most of that running into the corners. Please just a little less safety and a bit more flair.
Tempie

Postby Soapbox » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:51 pm

Excellent season so far, better football being played on a poor pitch. The problem lies not with the strikers but with midfield. We don't have a progressive midfield player and the ones we do have very rarely get forward to support Walker and Carver. The management is aware of this, but its again comes down to money. In the short term I would move Adam B back into midfield and put Beesley in at left back. This would give us more pace down the left and a better passer in midfield. This would mean leaving Adam R out, but I'm sorry to say he is not good enough at this level.
Soapbox

Postby Tempie » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:17 pm

Soapbox- I take your point but I'd cautious listening to what the management say Matt is an ex pro who's very good at answering questions with what people want to hear or what sounds best. So here's my take on what you've said.

Budgets- we've received two very healthy transfer fees very recently. That's not something that a club gets very often. So the budget can't be that bad. Also virtually all the players we signed in the summer where playing at a higher level. So have they all taken massive pay cuts? I don't buy to much into the 'we are punching above our weight theory' these are good players.

Midfielder- we've not had one since baker and Jamie retired. We've had plenty of opportunity to sign one over the last 2 years. We had Sheridan but Matt bombed him out. The truth is Matt doesn't like that type of player. Hence why roscoe is playing. These type of players aren't reliable enough. Same with youngsters he simply doesn't trust them! He's very good at talking about a squad of 20 and development squad players knocking on the door but his actions speak loader than words and they've not a cat in hells chance of infiltrating the 'inner circle'

Was 5 at the back a thought out tactical plan or was signing Stephen Jordan too good to turn down thus meaning we couldn't get our club captain in the starting 11? Only Matt knows. Yes it's worked we've been solid and concede very few but it ain't half been dull. I've enjoyed the lancs cup because I got to see 10mins of Jordan darr dribbling! A rarity this season.
Tempie

Postby Paul Brennan » Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:34 pm

Soapbox - top post - I agree with all of your comments except about Roscoe. I too had doubts but in the last few games he has been excellent.Some would argue that Blakes should be in for Dale - :shock:
At the beginning of the season if the prediction had been we'd be in 3rd at Christmas who would have been disappointed? Keeping it going is obviously the next challenge but we have the players and management to give it an excellent shot.
Re budgets and new signings -everyone is guessing about the money at the other clubs but surely at the least, Fylde,Salford, Stockport, Halifax,Kidderminster, Nuneaton and Harrogate have bigger budgets (and quite possibly several others-Darlington? Altrincham?).
So we aren't swimming in cash -and simply going to somewhere to sign a Fossie or someone isn't straightforward. What if the player isn't interested -or doesn't have the right temperament? I'm sure Matt, Vermo and Smudge are looking for players.
I'd like to see Darr given a chance -certainly put him on the bench.
Anyway, really looking forward to Boxing Day and 2017, COYM!
Paul Brennan

Postby mike1 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:21 pm

[quote="Paul Brennan"]Soapbox - top post - I agree with all of your comments except about Roscoe. I too had doubts but in the last few games he has been excellent.Some would argue that Blakes should be in for Dale - :shock:
At the beginning of the season if the prediction had been we'd be in 3rd at Christmas who would have been disappointed? Keeping it going is obviously the next challenge but we have the players and management to give it an excellent shot.

I share your view on Adam Roscoe, Paul. He has qualities that others may lack: he's one of our best headers of the ball, gets in some important tackles and is one of the few in the team who can put his foot through the ball and get in a decent shot on goal. He would be my man for shadowing Danny Rowe in the Fylde games. I have advocated previously the benefit of pushing Adam Blakeman further forward but would then go for Paul Jarvis at left-back. He seems to have slipped out of the picture somewhat but creatively with his ball control and runs down the left-wing he adds to the possibility of goals! Bring him back, I say. As for clever midfielders, if he ever goes out of favour at Fylde (and he rarely starts), the man to keep an eye on is Matty Hughes. But as Paul also says, who would really be grumbling if they knew in August that we'd be third at Christmas?
mike1

Postby Paul Speak » Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:50 pm

"Paul Brennan"

Re budgets and new signings - everyone is guessing about the money at the other clubs but surely at the least, Fylde, Salford,
Stockport, Halifax, Kidderminster, Nuneaton and Harrogate have bigger budgets

In an interview with www.nonleaguedaily.com a couple of months ago MJ stated CFC ( playing ) budget was among ' the 5
lowest ' in NLN :o
Paul Speak
MIS Prediction League Winner 2011/12

Postby extech » Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:40 pm

Roscoe at the moment is one of our best midfielders and I reckon we are doing really well considering the finances we work with
extech

Postby Tempie » Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:33 pm

All this talk of budgets is nothing more than 'hearsay' unless you lot know somewhere where clubs publish their budgets for everyone to see? Here are some facts

We have the 8th highest average attendance of all the clubs in national league north and South.
We have a higher average attendance than 11 national league clubs

And as I said earlier the vast majority of recent signing have come from a higher level. So I for one find it difficult to believe the budget is that low.

From my point of view all I want is a player to get excited about. Bring back raul corriea! Lol. We never really saw him play but he's getting rave reviews at Radcliffe.
Tempie

Postby Paul Speak » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:03 pm

"Tempie"

All this talk of budgets is nothing more than 'hearsay' unless you lot know somewhere where clubs publish their budgets for
everyone to see? ..... And as I said earlier the vast majority of recent signing have come from a higher level. So I for one find
it difficult to believe the budget is that low

Totally Agree ... But that implies MJ is making a statement / giving a quote that could not be substantiated later if challenged :?
Paul Speak
MIS Prediction League Winner 2011/12

Postby mark » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:38 pm

We are doing way better than I expected. Jansen's summer signings have been very impressive indeed, taken as a whole, and have certainly strengthened the team. Stephen Jordan and Jason Walker are two ex-pros right out of the top drawer, up there with Shaun Teale, Andy Bond and John Cunliffe as the best I've seen playing for us.

I'm not going to criticise a team sitting third in the league with the best defence. Taking a look at the other end of the table I can see clubs I expected to do better than Chorley this season, not least Altrincham (who are surely doomed unfortunately), Boston and Nuneaton. Let them worry about relegation while we contemplate a tilt at the playoffs. If you had told me 20 years ago that we would regularly finish above Stockport County in the league I would have laughed in your face. Yet that is where we are now.
mark
Site Admin

Postby Jue » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:33 pm

Some excellent points above including talk about the budget and flair infront of goal while Mark makes an excellent point. Look at where we are!

The budget talk is all hearsay, unless you see figures then that's all it will be in my opinion.

I'm not going to name players, this is just generally speaking...

The strikers are class non-league strikers, but the communication and finishing seems to lack greatly. We have midfield players who really do put in a shift in the centre of the park but we also have a couple who maybe get picked on name alone. There are players sitting on the bench and beyond who I personally would give a starting place to which would free those replaced to be put elsewhere and would do a better job.
Jue

Postby tumbleweed » Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:58 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong soapbox but I think the last 3 goals we've scored have all had a Roscoe direct involvement. :shock:
tumbleweed

Postby Soapbox » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:54 am

Roscoe has been a great servant to CFC and provided me with one of my best football memories with that overhead kick against Boston in the play off semi but he is not good enough at this level - he has no pace, poor technique and can't pass. He is good when the ball is in front of him to attack, but you need more than that in order to progress.
Soapbox

Postby extech » Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:00 pm

Roscoe quite often puts great long passes in, is a good header of the ball and breaks up the oppositions play. Can't see much wrong with that soapbox
extech

Postby Tempie » Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:02 pm

Sorry soap box but roscoe is our best passer!! I'm not saying he should he should play because he's very defensive and we've already got dale and jake in that midfield.
Tempie

Postby Ian Livesey » Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:35 pm

Good post. Well it's a lot better than last season isn't it. I was one of Jansen's biggest critics as most will probably know, but I can't fault him or the team this season. The only negative is the lack of goals which we're all aware about. But many positives outweigh the ONLY negative. Our defence is solid, the loss of Sam Ashton's is a downer but the replacement is just as good, hardly seen that before in a loan signing. Rowley won us a point on Saturday against Tamworth and would be good to see him at VP for the duration. Obviously with Burnley being my second team very thrilled to see Stephen Jordan at the club, obviously his experience has seen him be a solid unit at the back. Cottrell is as good as ever and Whitham has stepped back up to the mark. Really looking forward to the second half of the season. IF we're in the playoffs at the end of it then that really bodes well for the club and que sera sera.
Ian Livesey
Site Admin

Postby Magpie In Wigan » Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:06 am

Can't seriously believe anyone is of the idea that Roscoe can't put in a decent pass, the season he won player of the season he played quite a few games wide out right and put some great balls into the box, a player that has played just about every position on the pitch, when asked he has always done a job, one of the only players we have capable of hitting a screamer from 30 yards, can cope defensively as well as attacking, if he isn't worthy of a place in this team I don't know who is
Magpie In Wigan

Postby Tempie » Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:37 am

Roscoe- good player, CAN pass, good in the air, good tackler, good shot.,good to have in front of the defence But- not the most mobile, offers little in attack.

My argument with roscoe playing is that it gives us 3 midfielders who are all essentially the same! Defensive ball winning central midfielders. There is barely an ounce of creativity in any of them. I don't think we need 3 of them especially with having 5 at the back. We are playing 9 players who's primary talents are defensive ones. It's no wonder we aren't scoring!!! So I'd like to see one of those 3 midfielders relegated to the bench in favour of a more attacking player.

Or do we really need 5 at the back every game? A back 4 of Blakeman, Jordan, leather, challoner looks good enough for a national league side never mind us. Then we could play a diamond with roscoe deep and an attacking midfielder behind the front 2.

I'm with Ian Livesey on Jansen. I was sceptical last year and tbh I thought he had a bad season last season. I still don't trust what he says because his actions rarely back up what's been said. That said we've had an excellent 5 months and we are exactly where we should be in the league.

But for me matts challenge is to carry this on because at the moment it's only a good 5 months that's it! We need to find a way to score more or points are going to be dropped. A few of us said at the start of the season that we needed more strikers and that's not been addressed and is now a major problem. We desperately need someone who can lift the crowd and change a game. It's just dull.

Lastly I think that Matt needs to start trusting young players. Time and time again we see him refuse to use young players- rittenberg (he is still at Blackburn so can't be that bad!!!), Myers, samizedeh, Azam, corriea (ten league goals for Radcliffe so far this season), lynch (why on earth did he give him an 18 month contract? He's hardly played since!) that's not even mentioning the development squad players who have got no chance of playing! Money down the drain IMHO.

So yes it's been a great half a season but big challenges to come! COYM
Tempie

Postby Soapbox » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:48 am

How much is it to join the Adam R fan club, plus do you get a guide dog and stick?
Soapbox

Postby charnock1 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:57 am

Ah - I see whats happened here

The AR fan club has come out to play and SB doesn't like it - everyone knows that AR only plays from Nov - Feb when
the pitches are heavy. Its horses for courses.

I can only conclude that SB has been has been overseas for the past 6 weeks and has missed something !!
charnock1

Postby VictorEPark » Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:37 pm

Season so far for CFC has been above expectation. Great win at Fylde. However only halfway there.
The VEP386 - top Table Prediction computer despite still using Vista - shows a slightly surprising end of season list given today's places.

TOP Brackley
2nd Kidderminster
3rd Fylde

Darlo, Tamworth, Halifax, County and Chorley to contest two remaining playoff places.

Everything to play for for exciting season's end.
VictorEPark

Postby Ian R » Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:01 pm

We might have a difficult few weeks ahead,two forwards out don't mean to be negative,but this is when we all need to pull together.COYM
Ian R

Postby Ian Livesey » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:59 am

Think these next three games are bigger than the two Fylde one's we've just had.
Ian Livesey
Site Admin

Postby VictorEPark » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:15 pm

VictorEPark wrote:Season so far for CFC has been above expectation. Great win at Fylde. However only halfway there.
The VEP386 - top Table Prediction computer despite still using Vista - shows a slightly surprising end of season list given today's places.

TOP Brackley
2nd Kidderminster
3rd Fylde

Darlo, Tamworth, Halifax, County and Chorley to contest two remaining playoff places. With Nuneaton a dark horse.

Everything to play for for exciting season's end.

Latest print-out from Super VEP 386 (circa 1995) computer gives

1 Kidderminster (currently 2nd)
2 Brackley (9th)
3 Fylde (1st)
4 Halifax (5th)
5 Nuneaton (13th)
6 Darlington (4th)
7 Chorley (2nd)
8 County (7th)
9 Salford (6th)
Not sure how the algorithm got to that. Guess next few weeks could provide some answers.
Of course with most of the top teams up against each other during next month, it's in Chorley's own hands (feet) to change this order.
VictorEPark

Postby Ian Livesey » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:41 am

I honestly feel Brackley won't be in the playoffs now, on all accounts they struggled last night against Altrincham. Salford are starting to pick up results again, 4-0 last night against a resurgent Nuneaton. Fylde also extended their lead to 9 points at the top with a 2-0 win over Alfreton Town.
Ian Livesey
Site Admin

Return to Chorley FC