New keeper

Talk about the Magpies. Be respectful to others, no swearing, insulting posts or libellous remarks please.

Moderators: Ian Livesey, Pete Rothwell, Moderators

New keeper

Postby Tempie » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:12 pm

Hopefully I'll have to eat my words with this but I'm really disappointed with this signing. 3 and a half years at Macclesfield and he's played 13 league games! Given that they are an average national league club it points to how good he is and his ambition. Surly any player in his early twenties would want to play football? Carver turned down a pro deal at Accrington so that he could sign for us.

I'm really sad that we've let Rowley go when he was a decent player, improving all the time and was really keen on our club. Yes Shrewsbury wanted a release clause but that just reaffirms his talent as a keeper. What the hell is the point in this development squad if we can't promote a keeper for 1 game if Shaun had been recalled!

Good luck lad, prove me wrong and I'll hold my hands up at the end of the season.
Tempie

Re: New keeper

Postby magpie1875 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:44 pm

Carver turned down a contract offer at Accrington to come here to get regular first team football - my reading of the situation is that Ritchie had asked for his full-time contract to be terminated early to come here and do the same - so what's the difference?

If a player if recalled during a loan spell then it wouldn't be for one game, it would be permanently or until a new loan agreement can be negotiated, but if a club was that desperate to pull a player back from loan then I guess they'd be reluctant to let him leave just a quickly. Also, if it happened after the transfer deadline in March then where would we be with no chance of signing a replacement? How can a management team plan a promotion push with a ticking time bomb that could go off at any time and leave us with an untried 18 year old that has barely playing in the Lancashire League.

Apparently his only appearance this season was an outstanding display against Eastleigh. Being a keeper the hardest position to play, it's not like you can be switched to full-back, center mid or out wide is someone else if playing will in your regular spot. He's a quality keeper (Fylde's GK rates him highly) and will do a good job for us and I bet Sam Ashton isn't expecting to walk straight back in when fit.

I'm certain you will be eating your worlds
magpie1875

Postby Prodigal son » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:14 pm

Have to say I agree with Magpie 1875, sorry to see Rowley go but we had to get a new regular keeper, I think Branagan will do the job for us, I certainly hope so, just hope we can get at least one striker in before Saturday's game too. COYM
Prodigal son

Postby Tempie » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:34 pm

I'm pretty sure you can have an emergency loan for goalkeepers outside of the transfer window. Carver is much younger and actually played more for Accrington than this lad did Macclesfield so it's not the same at all. If you lot are excited about signing a keeper who's unwanted at Macclesfield having sat on the bench collecting a pay check for 3 and a half years then fine.
Tempie

Postby Lawsyd » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:49 pm

Well I don't known if he is a good, bad, or average keeper for our division. However, come Saturday, he'll be wearing the goalkeeeping equivalent of a black & white shirt. That's good enought for me, so 'Welcome to the family, son.'
Lawsyd

Postby metz » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:27 pm

Tempie wrote:I'm pretty sure you can have an emergency loan for goalkeepers outside of the transfer window. Carver is much younger and actually played more for Accrington than this lad did Macclesfield so it's not the same at all. If you lot are excited about signing a keeper who's unwanted at Macclesfield having sat on the bench collecting a pay check for 3 and a half years then fine.

I don't know if you were at the game today Tempie but Branagan had a superb game against a Brackley team who sent half a dozen shots his way. He's vocal, tall and, importantly catches the ball with confidence. His distribution wasn't bad at all either.
Think we've to trust our scouts who haven't done a bad job at all this season. They seen to have identified a keeper for the future right here.
I know you were disappointed with Rowley going back - he'd quickly become a fans' favourite in his short time here. But with a 24 hour recall clause with an extended loan, would you have wanted us fishing around for a new keeper with less than a day to go?
Early days but Branagan will hopefully win you over
metz

Postby Lawsyd » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:41 pm

metz wrote:
Tempie wrote:I'm pretty sure you can have an emergency loan for goalkeepers outside of the transfer window. Carver is much younger and actually played more for Accrington than this lad did Macclesfield so it's not the same at all. If you lot are excited about signing a keeper who's unwanted at Macclesfield having sat on the bench collecting a pay check for 3 and a half years then fine.

I don't know if you were at the game today Tempie but Branagan had a superb game against a Brackley team who sent half a dozen shots his way. He's vocal, tall and, importantly catches the ball with confidence. His distribution wasn't bad at all either.
Think we've to trust our scouts who haven't done a bad job at all this season. They seen to have identified a keeper for the future right here.
I know you were disappointed with Rowley going back - he'd quickly become a fans' favourite in his short time here. But with a 24 hour recall clause with an extended loan, would you have wanted us fishing around for a new keeper with less than a day to go?
Early days but Branagan will hopefully win you over

Thanks for this post, metz. Everything I was hoping to hear about our new keeeper - and a bit more.
Lawsyd

Postby Tempie » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:41 pm

Metz- thanks for a really intelligent and thoughtful post, appreciate that. Yes I agree. Good game from him today. You are right I am annoyed at Rowley going back, we all have different perceptions of things. I wasn't fussed about the recall option at Shrewsbury because he is 4th choice there. they have already said he's likely to go back out on loan. He could have got injured and so could branaghan. We'd have no keeper then either. Perhaps we should have a proper reserve keeper to solve this issue. Maybe that is the plan when Sam comes back?!

I was very underwhelmed by the signing of Macclesfields 3rd choice keeper. That said he's played well so fair play. Keep doing that and I'll be proved wrong. And happily so.
Tempie

Return to Chorley FC