Halifax

Talk about the Magpies. Be respectful to others, no swearing, insulting posts or libellous remarks please.

Moderators: Ian Livesey, Pete Rothwell, Moderators

Halifax

Postby Ian Livesey » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:46 pm

1-0 down at half time against 12 men (inc. ref)
Time to ditch these set piece routines or freshen them up a bit now. OK when we're can finish but the free kick in the channel by Whitham sent to Blakeman was shockingly bad. Why not float the ball over and it's 50-50 it's going to land on a Chorley head

Commentary here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xB5b3-L_x5E
Ian Livesey
Site Admin

Re: Halifax

Postby Ian Livesey » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:41 pm

Not enough effort I'm afraid
Ian Livesey
Site Admin

Postby Tempie » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:46 pm

Distinct lack of a goal scorer.
Tempie

Postby magpie1875 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:15 am

Tempie wrote:Distinct lack of a goal scorer.

Agreed, but I think the keeper was outstanding :wink:
magpie1875

Postby Ian Livesey » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:18 am

Only minus was the penalty. Plus points include the save with the legs when Halifax were clean through at 1-0.
Ian Livesey
Site Admin

Postby Ian R » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:06 am

Tempie wrote:Distinct lack of a goal scorer.

More so than ever,thought we did quite well until the final third.If Teaguey & Azam are our options up front then we have a problem which should have been addressed by now.

On another note was disappointed with some of the crowds treatment of O'keefe, no need for that at all.
Ian R

Postby john gunn » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:06 am

Not many options on the bench who could have turned the game except for Jarvis who for some reason is left warming it these days. But why no one from the development squad??
Surely if the likes of Southworth can play for final 20 mins v Fylde then he could have been an option last night against Halifax. Mysteriously where was Cofie last night unless he wasn't fit? I know he's not been too impressive in his first two appearances but maybe he needs more game time to adjust.
Overall it was a poor game by both sides not helped by the officials who managed to frustrate both teams on the night with their decisions.
john gunn

Postby Tempie » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:26 am

I really can't understand why we let Gonzales go with no replacement lined up. The problem with matts management is its all pre-planned- the summer signing were all planned, the formation never changes, the corner routines are all planned, his substitutions are planned (take of a forward after 70min). When these plans are disrupted by injuries or game situations he struggles. Virtually all of his mid-season signings since he took over have been terrible. As for the development squad- I can't recall ever seeing Matt at a game (his staff have). I spoke to Louis Myers' dad at a game earlier in the season and he said it was really frustrating that it didn't matter how well Louis played the 1st team manager wouldn't see.

No doubt magpie1875 will have his usual pop at this through his rose tinted glasses. :wink:
Tempie

Postby Prodigal son » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:22 pm

Disappointing result, overall thought we played quite well, as has been pointed out our problem is we only have the tireless Carver as an outlet. Don't understand why we play square pegs in round holes (Josh O'Keefe up with Marcus) when Jordan Southworth was there but not even included on the bench, then we end up with Waqas and Teaguey up front in desperation towards the end. Officials were dreadful throughout ( for both sides), the liner on the stand side was never up with play at all! Keeper did well, defence generally did well, thought Adam R struggled last night and that was a good change to bring on Beesley and push Blakeman into midfield, Jake and Dale were all over as always. Matt did indicate that he was hopeful of a signing within a week or so, it can't really come quickly enough, as we are desperately short up top.
Halifax probably threw us a curve ball by leaving Denton out which clearly changed their game plan and they did make us work hard at the back as let's face it our central defenders though excellent are not blessed with blistering pace. Onwards to Boston now where a good result is very important in what has been a difficult month fixture wise for us. COYM
Prodigal son

Postby magpie1875 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:53 pm

Tempie wrote:I really can't understand why we let Gonzales go with no replacement lined up. The problem with matts management is its all pre-planned- the summer signing were all planned, the formation never changes, the corner routines are all planned, his substitutions are planned (take of a forward after 70min). When these plans are disrupted by injuries or game situations he struggles. Virtually all of his mid-season signings since he took over have been terrible. As for the development squad- I can't recall ever seeing Matt at a game (his staff have). I spoke to Louis Myers' dad at a game earlier in the season and he said it was really frustrating that it didn't matter how well Louis played the 1st team manager wouldn't see.

No doubt magpie1875 will have his usual pop at this through his rose tinted glasses. :wink:

Rather wear these...
... then these...

Thought the performance last night was ok. Both sides were hindered from playing football by the poor officials. Halifax were effective and desperate for the win after having a bad run, but a fully fit Chorley side would have won last night. We need more senior depth in the squad and options on the bench. Agree that a young striker should have taken the place of one of the four defenders named as subs, but hindsight is always a great analytical tool.

We desperately need cover up front. I believe the club have made several approaches in the last two week. The problem is we're not the only club looking for reinforcements and have lost out on at least three loan signings so far, but we have other players we are looking at and have put in 7 days notice on at least one player. We are attempting to sign quality rather than quantity, though Cofie does appear to be the exception to this rule!

Sefton's (signing him must have been a gamble) has gone because he was (A) crap and (B) would not listen to anyone, missed training sessions and walked out of VP during a match when not selected. It's no surprise that he left Stockport under similar circumstances. He'll always be happier being the big fish in a small pond and can't handle not being the center of attention, but I'm sure however if Jason had been injured while Sefton was still at the club then he wouldn't have been release, just bad timing all round.
magpie1875

Postby Tempie » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:25 pm

Magpie1875- do you work within the club? I'm just wondering where this information comes from? Regarding Sefton leaving the ground. Are we talking about Tamworth at home? Wasn't he named on the bench and then deemed unfit during the warm up and withdrawn from the bench? He went off injured against daisy hill the Monday before that game.

Also you mentioned on a previous thread that we were in for the lad from Everton that went to southport but they came in last minute for him. That's not how they tell it. They say they'd persude him and waited patiently to sign him once the window opened on New Year's Day.

This is why we need more updates from the club to fans. I'm not saying tell the opposition our tactics (although it's not rocket science). But just be a bit more upfront and honest with what's going on behind the scenes.
Tempie

Postby Jue » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:25 am

Tempie wrote:This is why we need more updates from the club to fans. I'm not saying tell the opposition our tactics (although it's not rocket science). But just be a bit more upfront and honest with what's going on behind the scenes.

If there was a 'like' option.
Jue

Postby Lawsyd » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:26 am

Jue wrote:
Tempie wrote:This is why we need more updates from the club to fans. I'm not saying tell the opposition our tactics (although it's not rocket science). But just be a bit more upfront and honest with what's going on behind the scenes.

If there was a 'like' option.

I like your thinking.
Lawsyd

Postby Paul Speak » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:56 pm

"Tempie"

Magpie 1875 - do you work within the club ?

Imo most long-term users of this forum can deduce with some certainty the identity of Magpie1875 - As a
disclaimer I have previously got 2 + 2 to equal 5 but I think not on this occasion :roll:
Paul Speak
MIS Prediction League Winner 2011/12

Postby magpie1875 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:04 am

Tempie wrote:Magpie1875- do you work within the club?

I don't work for the club, I volunteer, something not enough people do.

If I want to find something out I ask the right people and then try to give as much information out as possible without compromising confidentiality before it's official to try and keep people informed.
magpie1875

Postby Tempie » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:36 am

That's fine but I'll be remembering that there are 2 sides to every story and people are good at saying what they think you want to hear. Matt Jansen is a master at it! Last year he kept saying he wanted to play passing football ("Tom field is the type of player I want to build a team around") Does anyone see a Tom field type player in our team?! "The development squad are knocking on the door" yet josh o keefe plays upfront with 5 defenders on the bench (Jarvis has only played as a defender in league games since Garry left) and Jordan southworth doesn't even get on the bench. In his post match interview he did a great job of deflecting the blame onto the referee who was poor but for BOTH sides. "Raul correira is a player for the future" who's? Not ours he went before ever getting a sniff. Our loss radcliffes gain.

I'm sure Gonzales would wholeheartedly refute those things you've said and wasn't it Matt that when asked at the meet the manger night about who could play at a higher level- replied with "Sefton Gonzales". Yes he left Stockport after a bit of a spat with the manager but Neil Young has proved to be a shocking manager recently both at Stockport and even worse at altrincham. I'm not saying his performances where good enough but I'd be careful with attacks on his character or saying he lacks talent.

These statements should come from the club and be truthful not rumours!!

As for trying to sign someone. Yes I'm sure the club are trying to sign a striker (we need two) but this should have been done months ago. 3 strikers for a season was never going to be enough.
Tempie

Postby Soapbox » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:03 am

I can't understand the negativity and conspiracy comments being posted. Matt, his management team and the directors are doing a great job. In Marcus and Jason we have two of the best strikers in the league. I have yet to see a better full back than Matt C or a better centre half than Scotty L. Stephen Jordan has been an inspired signing and Blakes looks an excellent addition.
We ALL make mistakes, so the odd addition going wrong is to be expected. The main problem with our team is that the midfield are not creative enough, not a criticism just an observation. I have no doubt that this situation will be resolved, but it might take until next season, as we do have to manage our finances.
I agree that we could be told more with respect to player injuries and departures, but we have exceeded my expectations this season and are playing better football than we have for years, more so away from home.
Soapbox

Postby Tempie » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:07 pm

soapbox- we all see things differently. Beauty of a forum. I think the football we play is very limited and attacking wise we are very ordinary. I thought last season was not a success. Matt took over a side that lost the play off final and some of the transfer ins and outs where shocking! Bringing in Lewis guy and releasing burns! That's just one of many. We recruited well in the summer buoyed by the sale of Darren and josh. Putting jack lynch on an 18 month contract! Why????!!!!

Let's have some more honest answers about signings, selections, players leaving and injuries. We shouted from the rafters when Alex signed but it was pretty quiet when he disappeared.

Stop wasting 4 minute interviews talking about referees (we know they are rubbish) and team spirit we've gathered that by now too. Where was cofie? That's a question that needed answering.

Please can we have more from Ken, his interviews are refreshing. He did one last season and said the he didn't think we would get in the playoffs- he was honest and realistic.

Anyway I'm looking forward to tonight now. I like the football dave Chadwick plays.
Tempie

Postby Ian Livesey » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:45 am

Looks like you've got your wish Tempie ;)

http://www.chorleyfc.com/index.php/news ... ton-united
Ian Livesey
Site Admin

Postby Tempie » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:41 am

Need that 'like' button again!
Tempie

Postby RedJag » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:39 am

If as stated we seem to have missed out on signing at least 4 players in the last couple of weeks,perhaps we need to ask why Chorley is not an attractive club anymore.
If it isn't the money,then perhaps we need to look a little deeper and ask whether the accommodation and training facilites that we can offer are up to the standards of the 21st century.

Without going into details,some of our facilities are sadly, very poor.

How we can address the problems I am not sure,as the ownership of the ground and the possible transfer to the council appears to have dropped into a black hole of no information,alluded to,by other people on here.
The contra deal of swapping land is now a straight sale and purchase,so where that leaves us I am not sure.

Any lets hope that Matt has better luck in signing who he wants.
RedJag

Postby Tempie » Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:58 pm

Red jag- some interesting points there. I'd think is more to do with players' perception of the club though. I'm pretty sure there are a good few players at local clubs that feel that they weren't given a fair chance at Chorley. I'm sure they talk.

If you were a young player at a lower club, would you sign for us? So that leaves players on the way down from the national league. Always tricky with those because lots are full time. Also if they can't get in a low end national league side then chances are they aren't good enough.

Spare are thought for Jordan southworth. He will have been elated and full of confidence after making his debut against fylde in front of 3000. He then played and scored in the development game, only to see a midfielder start up front in the next 2 games and he didn't even get on the bench!! Talk about destroying someone's confidence and self belief. So that takes me back to my original point- as a young up and coming player would you sign?

Hopefully the lad plays today and hopefully we can get a couple of deals done next week. Onwards and upwards (hopefully)
Tempie

Postby andrewa » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:50 pm

Tempie I agree with a lot of what you say. Surely the way forward for the squad is the good old blend of youth and experience?
I am a strong believer of giving young relatively inexperienced players a chance ( actually I mean more than one chance). Our local professional clubs loan out their younger players so they can play 'men's football', surely our youngsters who show talent deserve to have a run in the team for just that reason. I would also bet that there are one or two pretty good youngsters tearing apart defences in the local amateur leagues. I also agree with the sentiment, why have a development squad that is not seeming to allow young development players to do just that?
It also makes financial sense to nurture young talent, there are clubs who have made substantial sums through an enlightened youth policy that is geared to selling on to professional clubs.
To me there is nothing more exciting than seeing a club encouraging young and I think it should be central to what a club at this level should be trying to do.
andrewa

Postby Ian R » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:50 pm

RedJag wrote:If as stated we seem to have missed out on signing at least 4 players in the last couple of weeks,perhaps we need to ask why Chorley is not an attractive club anymore.
If it isn't the money,then perhaps we need to look a little deeper and ask whether the accommodation and training facilites that we can offer are up to the standards of the 21st century.

Without going into details,some of our facilities are sadly, very poor.

How we can address the problems I am not sure,as the ownership of the ground and the possible transfer to the council appears to have dropped into a black hole of no information,alluded to,by other people on here.
The contra deal of swapping land is now a straight sale and purchase,so where that leaves us I am not sure.

Any lets hope that Matt has better luck in signing who he wants.

I have been informed by a reliable source that the council now own the ground,why no announcement?????
Ian R

Postby 12th Man » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:28 pm

Who would you like an announcement from?
I spoke to the council safety officer last week and he made no mention of it. TJH and the council appear to be doing some type of transfer of assets but I for one have no idea of what, the details behind it, how long it takes or anything else. I suppose if the ownership of VP changes in the future the new landlord will be in touch to sort out the lease. As far as im aware that hasn't happened yet.
12th Man

Return to Chorley FC