Boston - away

Talk about the Magpies. Be respectful to others, no swearing, insulting posts or libellous remarks please.

Moderators: Ian Livesey, Pete Rothwell, Moderators

Boston - away

Postby charnock1 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:04 pm

Oh dear
charnock1

Re: Boston - away

Postby Soapbox » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:08 pm

What a shambles - Boston should pay Chorley's and our fans expenses!
Soapbox

Postby Prodigal son » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:16 pm

Might not be a bad thing in the long run, time now to get a striker or two in before next game at home to Alty. COYM
Prodigal son

Postby charnock1 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:23 pm

Role reversal of the Stafford FA Trophy game - when Stafford fans went ballistic

Some good did come out of that debacle - so whilst down there chaps give them some advice on frost covers !!
charnock1

Postby tumbleweed » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:12 pm

Tuesday night replay, I expect :shock: , doesn't do us any favours if it is.
tumbleweed

Postby Ian Livesey » Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:30 pm

We made the short journey to Spalding. Every cloud n all that
Ian Livesey
Site Admin

Postby 12th Man » Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:27 pm

This is all Matt's fault, he's known all season that we've needed at least 2 more pitch inspectors yet he hasn't addressed it! :wink:
12th Man

Postby mike1 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:45 pm

Soapbox wrote:What a shambles - Boston should pay Chorley's and our fans expenses!

If your idea were given serious thought, some of these last-minute postponements would surely not occur. It calls into question the thoroughness (or lack of it) of the local referee's early inspection. The pitch was unlikely to have worsened in the hours up till 2 p.m. But in practical terms, this sort of nonsense has to stop. When the visiting team has a three-hours' plus journey, then the home club should be under strict instructions to be absolutely sure that the preliminary inspection is carried out totally comprehensively - otherwise in the event of a late postponement they should risk a hefty fine, in my opinion. I would have expected a club of Boston's pedigree to have had frost-protection in place overnight. I an sure they will feel very embarrassed today.
mike1

Postby andrewa » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:16 pm

Some serious allegations on the Boston forum, so what is the truth in all this. Clearly it's creating bad feeling between clubs. Surely the match referee has absolute say in whether a match is playable, not the team managers?
andrewa

Postby Ian Livesey » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:04 pm

Here's an idea, Boston play Tamworth on the Saturday 28th Jan and we have no game (as we re-arranged the Bradford PA game). Tamworth is only 2 hours away, why can't we play on the Saturday and they put the Tamworth game to a Tuesday night?
Ian Livesey
Site Admin

Postby mark » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:29 pm

I was not best pleased to find out about this postponement when I stepped off the train at Boston today. £70 on travel meant I took the trouble to look round what is a magnificent town, certainly without equal architecturally in our league now Oxford are no longer a member.

However it is the referee who decides if a game is playable. The idea that the away team can unilaterally call a match off is for the birds.
mark
Site Admin

Postby Ian Livesey » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:38 pm

Sorry to hear that Mark, that makes it far worse spending all that money by going on train all that way for this to happen.

Having personally seen a pitch inspection from start to finish, I can say that managers are never questioned. The local referee is to blame looking at it, he's obviously missed the spot where it was frozen. Boston (if you haven't been) have quite a high north-facing stand and it would be hard pressed to see sunlight, rather like our main stand. I also agree with Mike, you would think that with their stature, they'd have had protection in place. Oh well, I'll still be at the re-arranged game so you're all welcome to listen in to MagpiesLive
Ian Livesey
Site Admin

Postby Ian R » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:56 pm

Prodigal son wrote:Might not be a bad thing in the long run, time now to get a striker or two in before next game at home to Alty. COYM

Did you make the 3hr journey??
Ian R

Postby Ian Livesey » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:17 am

Apparently their manager Adam Murray was interviewed by BBC Radio Lincolnshire, Boston was happy to play it, so was the ref, some reason Chorley didn't fancy it

If that is the case, then I didn't think we'd stoop that low

Just trying to listen again to see what was really said.
Ian Livesey
Site Admin

Postby Ian Livesey » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:27 am

BBC Radio Lincolnshire transcript :

Presenter : Never ideal, we would make comments if one of our teams were travelling three or four hours so to call off so late, no ideal it has to be said.
Man at the ground : No, not really when you consider that I'm sitting here in the sun. The referee has decided two areas of the pitch here at York Street which don't tend to get a great deal of sun anyway, they've been in shade, while the rest of the pitch does look a little on the cut up side to be fair, he's worried that it's not going to improve. It's not going to get any sun because it doesn't get any sun anyway. Allegedly the Chorley players not too keen, so he's called it off at about 5 past 2. The people in the refreshment kiosks are not happy.
He (the referee) was here reasonably early and he was out on the pitch for a long time, players were going on and running up and down, going off what they were doing getting a few comments from them, I suppose the bottom line is if someone injures themselves badly in that area of the pitch who's liable? So he's decided to call it off.
Ian Livesey
Site Admin

Postby Tempie » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:51 am

Well we are getting an awful lot of sh*t on forums and social media for this. There are certainly things that don't make sense.
Tempie

Postby Lawsyd » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:01 am

I find the idea that (as a part-time club) we wouldn't want to play, ridiculous. OK, so we might have lads who are suspended / injured / out of form, but that will be so at just about any stage of the season. Surely we would want to play on a Saturday - rather than risk a long midweek away trip when some players may well not be able to get time off work & we would still have lads suspended / injured / out of form.
Lawsyd

Postby Tempie » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:31 am

Tempie

Postby andrewa » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:48 am

Fairly clear who Boston blame for all this!
andrewa

Postby Ian Livesey » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:01 pm

What a great bit of reporting by the BBC, an organisation who I squarely don't support anymore.
Ian Livesey
Site Admin

Postby tumbleweed » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:30 pm

Which semi pro club would realistically swap a Saturday game with a 3 hr treck to one on a Tuesday night when they could easily be short of key players through work commitments. :?
tumbleweed

Postby Tempie » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:58 pm

Tumbleweed- I'm not taking sides because I've no idea what's gone on and we will probably never know. But when have we recently had problems with work commitments? We managed at Darlington on a Tuesday. There can be no argument that it's given us time to sort out the striker situation. Whether that's a result of good luck or Matt being naughty is up for debate.
Tempie

Postby Paul Brennan » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:12 pm

From THE FOOTBALL ASSOCIATION REFEREEING DEPARTMENT -MATCH OFFICIALS RULES & INSTRUCTIONS

Rule 13c

(ii) A Referee shall whenever possible examine the ground and decide as to its fitness
for play in sufficient time to save the expense of unnecessary journeys being
incurred by Clubs. The pitch inspection must be made by the Match Referee or a
Referee appointed by The Association who must immediately contact The
Association with details of an inspection (and the Match Referee if relevant).
(iii) Subject to this Rule, the Referee shall have the power to decide as to the fitness of
the ground in all matches.

That's the rule(and surely NLN has the same rules as the FA) The referee called off the game.
Move on (especially the opposing manager) COYM
Paul Brennan

Postby mike1 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:01 pm

Ian Livesey wrote:Apparently their manager Adam Murray was interviewed by BBC Radio Lincolnshire, Boston was happy to play it, so was the ref, some reason Chorley didn't fancy it

If that is the case, then I didn't think we'd stoop that low

Just trying to listen again to see what was really said.

I think there is a danger that some opinions are getting things out of proportion here. The final arbiter as to the fitness of the pitch for play is the match referee. I don't think the Boston manager is attacking Matt in his interview but merely stating that our manager didn't fancy the conditions - an opinion he is perfectly entitled to express (if he did express it) with an eye on possible injuries to players. Comments by the interviewer about billing Chorley for refreshment hut costs (however jokingly expressed) are vacuous - we've all had that issue at some time or another (e.g. Stafford cup-tie). When the heat has gone out of the arguments, perhaps Boston officials will look at themselves and ask whether in hindsight they should have been more cautious about inviting Chorley to set off in the first place. The temperatures in eastern England were forecast to remain low all day and even into Sunday! I don't think that from the evidence available there is any reason to justify the suggestion that Chorley FC or our manager might have been resorting to any degree of low-level stooping.
mike1

Postby tumbleweed » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:44 pm

No sides taken Tempi, :wink: just an issue that could easily happen to some players. Day off work, loss of revenue etc.
tumbleweed

Postby Ian Livesey » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:14 pm

Ultimately it will hit Boston harder than us to go back there. Boston won't get as many through the gate on a midweek game than they would've done yesterday. Losses in snack bar etc. We'll have a full compliment of strikers (hopefully, as Walker should be fit). The worse thing is we have to travel a 6 hour round trip to that god-forsaken hole again
Ian Livesey
Site Admin

Postby magpie1875 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:36 pm

Tempie wrote:I've no idea what's gone on and we will probably never know.

What went on is a game was supposed to go ahead,but it was too cold so the referee did what he is paid to do and made a decision.

A football pitch is considered a place of work, much like an office, shop, factory or building site where people go to work. Footballers are employees who attend a place of work on behalf of their employer. Every employer has a duty of care to their employees. If there are many different companies operating on the same site, say for instance two football teams, then somebody would have to be put in overall control of health & safety - in the construction industry it is a site manager, in football it is a referee and yesterday's whistle blower had a duty to the employees of the two companies to protect their health & safety which he did.

As for midweek issues, the Darlington match was arranged weeks if not months in advance so players would have known it was happening and been able to make arrangement accordingly. According to league rules the Boston game has be be scheduled within 42 days of the postponement unless both sides do not have an available fixture slot, so it could be in two weeks time or in five weeks, either way players who have full-time jobs will have to made arrangements around this if they can and with many businesses operating there annual leave March to March some might not have any holidays left. I do know our assistant manager is a primary school deputy head teacher, so an early finish for him might not be possible. No doubt other players could have similar job circumstances. An example in recent seasons was striker Cairan Kilheeney missing a mid-week trip to Blyth due not being able to get time off his day job.

Apparantly the pitch wasn't fit at 12.30pm and Boston officials where pouring hot water on to the frozen surface (witnessed by Chorley officials) in an attempt to defrost the troubling area - not sure they considered what might happen when the water cooled down and this in most probability worsened the pitch ahead of the 2pm inspection.
magpie1875

Postby Ian Livesey » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:35 pm

Game now rearranged for Tues 14 Feb
Ian Livesey
Site Admin

Return to Chorley FC