Altrincham home

Talk about the Magpies. Be respectful to others, no swearing, insulting posts or libellous remarks please.

Moderators: Ian Livesey, Pete Rothwell, Moderators

Altrincham home

Postby reco » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:17 am

Did we play yesterday or have I dreamt it?
Sounds like a professional performance.
Another clean sheet for Ritchie 2 in 3 which is a good start.
One striker scored on his debut.

With Fylde dropping points and wins for Halifax and Kidderminster we just need to keep on winning and not worry about the others IMO.
Last edited by reco on Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
reco

Re: Alfreton home

Postby Lawsyd » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:43 am

Sorry to be a pedant but it was Altrincham - not Alfreton. Other than that it was a fairly routine & straightforward win. Of the two new lads up front, the one from York scored on his debut & put in a an impressive shift; the lad from Macclesfield came on as sub & (for me) wasn't as impressive in either ball control or work-rate. Although Altrincham pressed at times I don't remember our keeper having to make a single save of note. Onwards & upwards we go.
Lawsyd

Postby gaz » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:18 am

Wasn't the lad who scored Sampson the lad from Macclesfield and the lad on the bench from York?
gaz

Postby Prodigal son » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:30 am

Wow, this thread has gone crazy, we played Altrincham not Alfreton, a Jack Sampson signed from Macclesfield scored the opening goal on his debut and looked impressive, Carver was replaced on the hour mark by Robbie McDaid, signed from York, he was less impressive but the whole second half was lacklustre. COYM
Prodigal son

Postby Lawsyd » Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:54 pm

Prodigal son wrote:Wow, this thread has gone crazy, we played Altrincham not Alfreton, a Jack Sampson signed from Macclesfield scored the opening goal on his debut and looked impressive, Carver was replaced on the hour mark by Robbie McDaid, signed from York, he was less impressive but the whole second half was lacklustre. COYM

Whadda mistake-a to make-a. I think I'll go back to sleep! Either way, we won it quite comfortably & deservedly.
Lawsyd

Postby mike1 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:46 pm

Prodigal son wrote:Wow, this thread has gone crazy, we played Altrincham not Alfreton, a Jack Sampson signed from Macclesfield scored the opening goal on his debut and looked impressive, Carver was replaced on the hour mark by Robbie McDaid, signed from York, he was less impressive but the whole second half was lacklustre. COYM

A very important three points in view of our blank date next Saturday. I'm surprised that so few people bother to comment these days on match performances - still, we could be in Alty's dire straits whose fans(those who are left) are beside themselves with frustration and despondency. Their turnout yesterday for a match just an hour's drive away was dreadful but in the circumstances I suppose understandable. We did the job in the first half and could have had a couple more -Dale so unlucky with that intelligent 30-yards volley beyond the keeper which hit the post. Impressive work by Jack Sampson - I think Jason Walker would have revelled in playing alongside him yesterday. All of that said - why did we put in such a 'lacklustre' (as quoted previously) second half? We allowed a poor side to dominate possession instead of giving them hell for twenty minutes and seeing if we could really put the game out of Alty's reach. I liked their second-half sub (Elliot Newby), a confident player on the ball with an eye for a probing pass. I understand he is on loan from Barrow. We could do worse than track his movements ahead of next season - he's just the sort of midfield playmaker who could make a real difference to our creative play. Still, well done on another winning performance. Alty need more than a miracle now. It was aggravating to see their players surrounding the referee almost every time he awarded Chorley a free-kick - more discipline needed there, guys.There could have been no complaints if the official had booked several players for dissent. Perhaps some of them remembered he was in charge when they lost 0-6 to Fylde earlier in the season. And they go to Mill Farm next Saturday via Brackley in midweek!
mike1

Postby Paul Brennan » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:13 pm

mike1 wrote:
A very important three points in view of our blank date next Saturday. I'm surprised that so few people bother to comment these days on match performances - still, we could be in Alty's dire straits whose fans(those who are left) are beside themselves with frustration and despondency.

All of that said - why did we put in such a 'lacklustre' (as quoted previously) second half? We allowed a poor side to dominate possession instead of giving them hell for twenty minutes and seeing if we could really put the game out of Alty's reach.

Very good points as usual, Mike.
To your first comment. I feel too many people on here judge sixth tier players far too critically -why was McDaid's "workrate" seen as "unimpressive"? He seemed to get up and down to me -and it was his first game on an atrocious pitch for goodness sake! He looked OK given the context.
Secondly, IMO we gave Altrincham too much of the initiative early on in the SH and then found it mighty difficult to wrest it back. Apart from Newby the midfielder from Southport,-Jones?- that they have, was also impressive. The difference between most sides in this league is very marginal in many games -Alty look just as good as Harrogate or Salford, for instance, on their SH performance.
Paul Brennan

Re: Altrincham home

Postby andrewa » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:35 pm

I agree with what you say there Paul. I imagine the football we play away from home is more fluent because most other clubs seem to have superior pitches.
You only have to look at other results every week to confirm what you say about the tight margins in this league. Fylde beaten at Curzon on Saturday, Kidderminster scraped a win against Telford in the 85 th minute. There are good teams all the way down the table. It's interesting how no matter what level it is teams from the top often struggle to beat those from the bottom. As Matt said its another clean sheet.
These are difficult games, we are bedding in new players, we got the points, we're 3rd. What's not to like about that?
andrewa

Postby Ian Livesey » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:59 pm

We're also the highest placed semi-pro side in the league
Ian Livesey
Site Admin

Postby magpie1875 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:39 am

Ian Livesey wrote:We're also the highest placed semi-pro side in the league

A very good point Ian. And of the top 11 sides we're one of the smaller clubs when you consider finance/resources/support at the disposal of the others
magpie1875

Postby mike1 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:04 pm

Ian Livesey wrote:We're also the highest placed semi-pro side in the league

For the record, exactly how many teams in our league are full-time? It is a very considerable achievement to be where we are and, as we've agreed before, at the start of the season we were expecting a very tough ride even to maintain a stable position in the table. Altrincham have seriously under-performed and also Boston and Nuneaton (aren't they full-time?) and to some degree Harrogate. On the other hand, Brackley have proved the surprise-packet in my book. I am absolutely delighted to see us right up there. The next two home games are massive (Darlington & Kidderminster, both sure to be strongly supported on the day) so we need another top turn-out from our own support-base in what should be two crowds in excess of 2,000. COYM!
mike1

Postby Ian Livesey » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:43 am

2 teams are full time. I'm sure you can work out which ;)
Ian Livesey
Site Admin

Postby reco » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:06 pm

If those two teams don't go up next season will be even harder to attempt to win the league as Harrogate Town are planning to go full time.

Altrincham did us a favour of sorts last night by holding Brackley to a 1-1 although Brackley are 9 points behind us.
reco

Postby magpie1875 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:00 pm

Ian Livesey wrote:2 teams are full time. I'm sure you can work out which ;)

I thought £ylde, Kidderminster, Tamworth, Brackley, Nuneaton & Alfrerton were all training either 5 or 3 days a week; giving them a huge advantage over the rest who do 2 nights, midweek games permitting.

I expect $alford, Darlington, Halifax, Stockport and Boston to follow Harrogate over the next year or so in making the step up.

But, I may be wrong.
magpie1875

Postby Ian Livesey » Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:50 pm

Heard from a number of places the same thing that only Fylde and Kidderminster are FT this season. It was even on the ITV bit about Fylde last week where Haythornthwaite mentioned this too. Anyway, full time doesn't necessarily mean promotion as we all know. Nuneaton were for the most of last season after coming down from the NL but finished outside the playoffs.
Ian Livesey
Site Admin

Return to Chorley FC