Well I Wasn't Expecting THAT At 4-00 p.m. Today

Talk about the Magpies. Be respectful to others, no swearing, insulting posts or libellous remarks please.

Moderators: Ian Livesey, Pete Rothwell, Moderators

Well I Wasn't Expecting THAT At 4-00 p.m. Today

Postby Lawsyd » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:00 pm

Almost 10-00 p.m. on Saturday evening &, apart from one indirect comment on another thread, there is no mention of probably the greatest comeback of the season. Where is everybody? Suffice to say, I doubt that any of us Magpies in FC's ground today foresaw such a turnaround, after the abysmal first half.

Now I'll leave it to others with a better technical understanding of the sport to explain how the management team managed to change things to produce such a second-half performance.
Lawsyd

Re: Well I Wasn't Expecting THAT At 4-00 p.m. Today

Postby Paul Brennan » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:10 am

Matt's post match comments re "mental strength" and resolve -and about giving the team a verbal bashing -together with the removal of Teaguey for Robbie McDaid and going 442, are the answer.

We certainly showed a conviction and desire missing in the FH -it helped to score in the opening seconds of the second -and really pushed as a team for a comeback.
McDaid was excellent-direct, quick and clever; Marcus and Jack were brilliant -brave, strong,and also direct. The midfield started to probe and move the ball quickly-the defence tightened up.

A great draw in the end-but shouldn't have been needed -we gifted a moderate FCUM two goals and were well "off the pace". Credit to the management and players though-we made changes, adapted and proved the key point in Janny's team talk registered.

"A game of two halves"? -more like a game of two different CFC teams! COYM
Paul Brennan

Postby john joe » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:42 pm

Also bringing on Adam Roscoe for the final set piece of the game, which brought us the equaliser

Great management awareness.
john joe

Postby Prodigal son » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:16 pm

I think it was clear to most Magpie fans that FC had "targeted " Teagueys lack of pace and capitalised on that, so that really was a change that had to be made, however, Matt's introduction of McDaid and change of formation to 433 was what made the difference in my view, it meant that with a flat back four we had more pace on the flanks and an extra outlet up top which McDaid exploited brilliantly with his first touches, flying past the FC defender and delivering a perfect cross ball. From then on the front three just tormented the FC back line and the comeback was on. Well played to all the lads, great team spirit after such a dire first half, and well done to the management team for making the changes. COYM
Prodigal son

Postby mike1 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:57 pm

Prodigal son wrote:I think it was clear to most Magpie fans that FC had "targeted " Teagueys lack of pace and capitalised on that, so that really was a change that had to be made, however, Matt's introduction of McDaid and change of formation to 433 was what made the difference in my view, it meant that with a flat back four we had more pace on the flanks and an extra outlet up top which McDaid exploited brilliantly with his first touches, flying past the FC defender and delivering a perfect cross ball. From then on the front three just tormented the FC back line and the comeback was on. Well played to all the lads, great team spirit after such a dire first half, and well done to the management team for making the changes. COYM

I think the analysis here is right on the money. I'm sure Kieran Charnock must be wondering why he is not in the team at the moment as he appeared to do little wrong during that spell when we were winning more games and keeping a few clean-sheets too! And especially away from home Adam Roscoe in front of the back four would be extra insurance against such problems as were faced in the first-half yesterday.
mike1

Postby Prodigal son » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:14 pm

Thank you, Mike1 :oops: I agree that Kieran Charnock could feel hard done by and you are correct about Adam Roscoe giving us greater solidity away from VP, it was great to see the complete tactical change that Matt made yesterday though just when it was needed.
Prodigal son

Postby John Wells » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:29 pm

For those who didn't attend, our first goal was scored by Sampson, and wasn't headed in by Carver. Perhaps the OWS stats can be changed to credit the goal to Sampson. Great to behind the goal and see all 6 goals, for once segregation paid off.
John Wells

Postby John Wells » Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:02 pm

Duly amended. Thanks.
John Wells

Postby Ian Livesey » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:35 pm

Myself and Paul (Twitterer) were sat in an awkward position and it was hard to see. However, I was surprised when Carver was credited with the first goal. As for the third, I thought it was Sampson (if you listen back to the MagpiesLive commentary), but with all greatest respect to Scott Leather, it really didn't matter who scored it, just that we completed the comeback. Another 5 minutes and we would've won 4-3.
Ian Livesey
Site Admin

Return to Chorley FC