Chorley v Alfreton

Talk about the Magpies. Be respectful to others, no swearing, insulting posts or libellous remarks please.

Moderators: Ian Livesey, Pete Rothwell, Moderators

Chorley v Alfreton

Postby Ian R » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:11 pm

Get in,3pts all that matters,COYM
Ian R

Re: Chorley v Alfreton

Postby andrewa » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:11 am

Is there nobody who wants to discuss yesterday's game? Even if it's just for the benefit of those who couldn't be there!
andrewa

Postby Paul Brennan » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:45 am

On the usual very difficult playing surface, CFC struggled to make many chances in the FH playing towards the Duke St end. Alfreton were big physical players who made crunching tackles their speciality. Their goal came from a uncharacteristic wayward header from Steven Jordan which was sent into a unguarded part of the pitch, a player moved on to the clearance and slotted away well.
SH we were better as Chally and Jarvo pushed on, McDaid replaced Marcus and there was more urgency and drive all round. Jarvo's crosses were from near the by-line and invariably causing problems -from one an Alfreton defender cleared just the right side of the post (for him). Couple of good saves from their keeper too.
In the end we just about deserved the win for keeping going and some excellent wing play from Jarvo -MOM no problem.

One question -why did Scott Leather not play? -he was a spectator in the stands
Paul Brennan

Postby Bondy » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:53 am

Surprised no one has posted anything yet. Alfreton came with a game plan that until the last 10 mins was working very well. TBH might not be the prettiest but was very effective. Thought they were lucky to go a goal up after the early exchanges, but once they did they shut up shop and hardly allowed us to get a decent attempt on target in the first half. The second half continued in the same manner with Alfreton employing more delaying tactics that were going unpunished by the rather lenient ref. IMO Jarvo was the outstanding player, in particular the second half, I was pleased for him that he was the main orchestrator of both goals. Carver wasn't at his best sadly and was substituted at half time, not sure if he is carrying a knock. In the second half Dale was replaced by O'keefe, possibly Dale hasn't quite fully recovered from the knock he picked up recently. All in all the team's determination not to give up against a stubborn Alfreton team should be commended. This was as important a victory as last week's against kiddy and puts us in a great position to take on Stockport next week.
Bondy

Postby Bondy » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:55 am

Paul, I believe Scott was serving his suspension for reaching 10 yellow cards.
Bondy

Postby Bondy » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:55 am

Teaguey has been on the receiving end of some criticism recently which imo is because the opposition are targeting him as a weak link due to his lack of pace. To me he looks like he is lacking a bit of confidence as well. At the beginning of the season he was the player they all looked up to particularly when set pieces were being organised. But since his long lay off he has come back into a team that has had to adapt due to his absence. This must have knocked his confidence and has started to affect other parts of his game. There is absolutely nothing he can do about his speed, but there is a lot more we can do as fans and that is to get behind him and give him the support he deserves as he has played a vital role in getting us to we're we are know.
Bondy

Postby Prodigal son » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:16 pm

Hardly a spectacle yesterday but with 11 behind the ball the whole game, Alfreton were never going to make it easy, thank God we don't have to watch that every week! A few of our players struggled for one reason or another but stuck at it, thankfully we had Jarvo who was at his best, he is a two footed player (rare at this level) who is capable of beating his opponent on either side , this he did several times yesterday and at the end 2 of his crosses were finally turned home by Sampson and O'Keefe. A very precious 3 points.
Is Scott Leather's suspension just the one game?
Prodigal son

Postby mike1 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:34 pm

Prodigal son wrote:Hardly a spectacle yesterday but with 11 behind the ball the whole game, Alfreton were never going to make it easy, thank God we don't have to watch that every week! A few of our players struggled for one reason or another but stuck at it, thankfully we had Jarvo who was at his best, he is a two footed player (rare at this level) who is capable of beating his opponent on either side , this he did several times yesterday and at the end 2 of his crosses were finally turned home by Sampson and O'Keefe. A very precious 3 points.
Is Scott Leather's suspension just the one game?

Scott, I understand, is suspended for two matches. It's a pity the Lancs trophy game was called off on Tuesday, otherwise his suspension would be complete now. I am delighted to see Jarvo starring as he undoubtedly did yesterday. For me, he should always start for the reasons mentioned in the previous post. It's not just about going past people or getting to the by-line, it's what decision you make when you get there - and Jarvo has no superior in that respect. I thought the half-time substitution was crucial to the win. We were going nowhere first half, pumping high balls forward or in from the flanks - they were easy for the Alfreton big men to head clear. Second half we played more ball on the ground (some really good stuff at times too) and, just in time, it finally paid off. I think there's an important lesson to be learnt here. Jack Sampson is proving a great signing. His goals-to-games ratio is impressive and yesterday he was in the right spot to capitalise on the keeper failing to hold Jarvo's shot. It was typical of a predatory striker's trade and it's what we have been missing for quite some time. In a very solid team effort I thought Adam Blakeman had a very good game and was unlucky with that thunderous strike from distance which flew inches too high - and it was good to see Andy Teague looking much more like his old self and sharper than of late. A very important win, leaving us now needing to avoid defeat at Stockport, as the play-offs race looks after yesterday to be favouring any four from five of those sitting 2nd to 6th in the table.,
mike1

Postby Lawsyd » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:54 pm

andrewa wrote:Is there nobody who wants to discuss yesterday's game? Even if it's just for the benefit of those who couldn't be there!

I'm another one who couldn't make it yesterday - so thanks to those who have finally contributed to this thread.

On a separate issue, why are so few contributing to forum threads these days - the match score prediction thread, apart? There were almost 1000 fans in the ground yesterday, so surely 50 or 60 of those fans have enough of an opinion about our performance to commit their views to the forum?
Lawsyd

Postby Tempie » Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:36 pm

Not many comments on here because sometimes people get slated for being negative. Also I might be wrong but only certain types of email addresses allow registration to this page. So lots can't comment.

For what it's worth- I didn't comment because there wasn't much good to say! Apart from WE WON! which Ian had already said. I didn't think we played well. Plenty of effort but very little quality. I've no idea why we need 5 at the back at home against alfreton and it nearly cost us. I'd have liked to see us go 433. Playing the 5 at the back meant our spare men where at the back, all it does is force us to pass backwards, which leads to the inevitable long punt forward. As someone said above it was far far too easy for alfreton. We were absolutely crying out for someone to beat a man and create some space. Jarvis got us out of jail. Matt challoner did well too despite not being a natural attacking player.

Next week will suit our style better and hopefully we can carry on our promotion push by picking up more points.
Tempie

Postby Lawsyd » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:16 pm

@ Tempie - I can totally understand what you say about a 'meh' match - as it apparently was - where in the end we got three points & that's all there is to say. However, to my mind, things have been just as quiet on here for the previous three matches - all of which have been significant as far as the play-off places are concerened and all of which (in my opinion) have been crackers. OK, the FC match was away, but we still took between 200 & 300 fans, yet no thread was started regarding the match until I started one, over 5 hours after the final whistle. Again I ask why more aren't contributing on here?
Lawsyd

Postby mike1 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:48 pm

Lawsyd wrote:@ Tempie - I can totally understand what you say about a 'meh' match - as it apparently was - where in the end we got three points & that's all there is to say. However, to my mind, things have been just as quiet on here for the previous three matches - all of which have been significant as far as the play-off places are concerened and all of which (in my opinion) have been crackers. OK, the FC match was away, but we still took between 200 & 300 fans, yet no thread was started regarding the match until I started one, over 5 hours after the final whistle. Again I ask why more aren't contributing on here?

Couldn't agree more Lawsyd with your main point. If we were getting beaten on a regular basis I suspect the forum would be red hot with moaners and snipers. Too many people do not seem to fully appreciate what the team and management are achieving on limited means. It's a dream to be where we are in this league BUT I'd still enjoy it more if we were winning regularly in NLN than struggling to survive in the top flight like Southport (perennially) and latterly Guiseley and North Ferriby. I doubt if the 'gates' would hold up if defeats were more common than wins. And of course the finances would be stretched to the limit. But I realise in football you've got to aim to progress and face the costs if they come.
mike1

Postby Tempie » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:19 pm

Mike- it's all a matter of opinions on here, it's a forum. Sometimes I get annoyed with attitude that's its a 'dream' to be where we are and the statements that we are 'punching above our weight'. We aren't a small clubs anymore. I was here when we got 300 on but those days have gone. The club as a whole have worked so hard to turn us into what we are now. We must all strive to make sure they stay in the past and that means contant drive for improvement.

If we do go up then there are lots of extra positives. TV money, 1 game to the FA cup, sponsorship and several big gates. Yes we might struggle but we have to have ambition.

our crowds haven't been amazing this season but like I keep saying people want to be entertained. It's ok picking up results but the manner in which we do it is important too. You are dead right that their would have been moans had we got beat but let's be honest it wasn't great viewing. Yesterday was a prime example. Pass sideways, pass backwards and then punt upfield.
Tempie

Postby andrewa » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:11 pm

I agree Tempie, completely, but the problem we have at home is our dreadful 70's style pitch. It's one of the worst in the league. It's not possible to play attractive,crowd pleasing football on a heavy, bumpy surface.
Look at the quality of the other top teams pitches. We can play football, but at home it's a case of grinding out results. Not attractive to watch. Image is important in modern football, people want an attractive style of play.
What can be done? Not sure, big money involved, but in the long term it needs looking at.
andrewa

Postby metz » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:49 pm

I rarely comment on here anymore as - rather than being accused of being negative, I've been labelled the 'club apologist.' So much for being allowed an opinion.
For what its worth I think the forum is quieter due to the rise of Facebook - there are forums out there for the Conference North in general, and one called Chorley FC Supporters, which does exactly what it says on the tin
metz

Postby Paul Brennan » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:21 pm

Tempie wrote: Sometimes I get annoyed with attitude that's its a 'dream' to be where we are and the statements that we are 'punching above our weight'. We aren't a small clubs anymore. I was here when we got 300 on but those days have gone. The club as a whole have worked so hard to turn us into what we are now. We must all strive to make sure they stay in the past and that means contant drive for improvement.

If we do go up then there are lots of extra positives. TV money, 1 game to the FA cup, sponsorship and several big gates. Yes we might struggle but we have to have ambition.

our crowds haven't been amazing this season but like I keep saying people want to be entertained.
andrewa wrote: the problem we have at home is our dreadful 70's style pitch. It's one of the worst in the league. It's not possible to play attractive,crowd pleasing football on a heavy, bumpy surface.

What can be done? Not sure, big money involved, but in the long term it needs looking at.

Adding my twopenneth -Tempie -I entirely agree about your comments on ambition,progress and the future. We have to try to get as far as we can -sure it may be only for a season or two and we may come crashing back-but what's the alternative ? Losing games when we look like we might make the play-offs? No way.
As for crowds,according to Turnstile League we are 20th best supported NL side with gates up 39% on 2015-16 -might not seem like it but support has grown!
Andrewa -you're dead right about the pitch -it's very, very poor for this level.And it is a major reason for our style of play at the moment IMO. Are people willing to Crowdfund (or something similar) for a new playing surface? It's unlikely the club can afford one without significant financial help.
Paul Brennan

Postby andrewa » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:04 pm

I'm not a fan of Facebook, I don't believe its an alternative to the Forum, it's different and like Twitter has its place in the information structure. Since I appealed for more responses after the game there has been a terrific response, with no falling out and some healthy debate.
I really feel the pitch is an important area that needs to be improved. As it stands it is infamous, just look at other club forums after a visit. Crowdfunding would seem to be a good solution. Maybe if it was set up an appeal at home games would produce a response, especially with the object of the fundraising in front of them! It's a major project tranforming a playing surface, but to me it is essential if we aspire, as we do, to playing at a higher level.
andrewa

Postby Tempie » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:26 pm

Guys- I really wish the pitch was as simple as having a crowd funder but it really isn't.
Tempie

Postby andrewa » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:37 pm

Tempie wrote:Guys- I really wish the pitch was as simple as having a crowd funder but it really isn't.

Am I right in thinking you are saying its not just about money? I f so what are the difficulties?
andrewa

Postby Tempie » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:12 pm

It's not really for me to say as I don't know all the facts or future plans. But obviously there's uncertainty surrounding ground ownership/tenancy, aftercare etc and above all there are probably things that need doing before the pitch. I love grass lol but let's not start another 'pitch gate' we've all seen far worse pitches in the past and teams managed to play.
Tempie

Postby Ian Livesey » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:21 pm

Highlight's here : https://t.co/DTRZpGNzp6

Challoner's effort that was saved by their goalkeeper was going over the bar anyway ;)
Ian Livesey
Site Admin

Return to Chorley FC