Lancashire Evening Telepgraph

Talk about the Magpies. Be respectful to others, no swearing, insulting posts or libellous remarks please.

Moderators: Ian Livesey, Pete Rothwell, Moderators

Lancashire Evening Telepgraph

Postby Pete Rothwell » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:15 pm

Magpies sign teenage strikerBy John Newman

Teenage striker Danny Nolan has been signed by Chorley after scoring five goals in five games in the Magpies' pre-season programme.

The 19-year-old from Coppull, who has represented Lancashire FA, has signed a one year contract with the option of a second year.

The manager's new-look squad has strength in all departments, as shown by away victories of 3-0, 4-1 and 5-0, albeit over Euxton Villa, Ramsbottom United and Squires Gate from lower leagues but also teams who made the Magpies battle to win the day.

Chorley manager Gerry Luczka: "I'm delighted to sign Danny. In time he will make a good player.

"We feel it's important to protect the club and the player. He's happy to be with us. Danny has done really well and he hasn't played a full game for us yet. "After a goalless first half at Squires Gate I put him up front with Steve Burke, another of our new signings, and David Moore, and we scored five goals in the second half."

Chorley complete their pre-season programme with the visit of Witton Albion to Victory Park on Friday (7.45pm kick-off) with a "feelgood" atmosphere as the UniBond First Division North campaign gets under way in eight days' time.

Chorley have also signed Michael Eckersley, a wing back from Barrow.
Luczka said: "I'm pleased with the new boys - they've fitted in well and the spirit is great.

"I have tried out a lot of formations but everybody hasn't been available all the time because of holidays.

"We've still had chance to try out a lot of lads and it's pleasing to increase our goals tally in our last three games.

"We should have strength and back-up in all departments but it's no good kidding ourselves. There are a lot of good teams in the division and it's important that we get off to a good start.

"After our opening day trip to Bridlington we have attractive home matches against Lancaster City and Rossendale United and the FA Cup tie against Warrington Town.

"I have always said I want local lads in the squad, or at least players from not too far away, so that they have a feeling for the club. It all adds to the strength.

"There's still a lot of work to be done, but we feel we are going in the right direction.

"There's a lot to play for and we hope that the fans will back us in our efforts to bring some glory back to this great club.

"We have confidence, teamwork and belief.

"It won't be easy but I feel we've given ourselves a fighting chance."

The club has also clarified the situation regarding the smoking ban at Victory Par.k There will be a designated smoking area located in the car park adjacent to the social club. This area will be coned off as a temporary measure.

All remaining areas of the ground will be no smoking as marked.
Pete Rothwell
Site Admin

Return to Chorley FC