Harrogate

Talk about the Magpies. Be respectful to others, no swearing, insulting posts or libellous remarks please.

Moderators: Ian Livesey, Pete Rothwell, Moderators

Harrogate

Postby mike1 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:25 pm

For Saturday's match Harrogate will be without up to three players owing to suspension including top scorer Simon Ainge who is serving a three-match ban for receiving a straight red card against North Ferriby at a point when Town were already three up. One thing less to worry about! Two other players (Kennedy & Burrell) were sent off at Darlington on Boxing Day and their suspensions start today 2nd January so they will also be missing on Saturday.
mike1

Re: Harrogate

Postby mark » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:36 pm

I feel the pitch may play to our advantage on Saturday. Harrogate will be used to a smooth and true surface from playing on their 3G pitch. Although at least our pitch is flatter than Southport's. I haven't seen raised goalmouths like that since we had ours levelled!
mark
Site Admin

Postby Paul Brennan » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:51 pm

Having a very good defence but frankly, a very poor attack, can win quite a few 1-0 -but as today proved, also lead to 1-0 defeats. Making chances we don't convert is becoming more and more habitual -and we will struggle unless we get a goal scorer of some proficiency -and soon. No disrespect to Mooney and Metz -and I haven't seen enough of them to be certain-but aren't they essentially very similar? One would be a useful addition -but two?

The other area -discussed again and again on here and elsewhere -is the weak midfield. For me Nick should be demanding the ball, dominating the game more than he does. OK, today losing Hughes was a blow but we need replacements who will get a grip in the middle.

Harrogate were fortunate IMO but ultimately were also more clinical not to say cynical.We certainly will see what we're made of, and how the season will probably unfold, against Kidderminster. Lose and we will probably find the playoffs increasingly beyond our reach (despite what I said in the Southport thread).
Paul Brennan

Postby mark » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:40 am

Metz looked promising today but the fact he didn't complete the match is not a great start. I think Jansen may just set his face against him after that.

Harrogate were fit and strong and finished the game well, as you would expect from a full time side. I liked the look of their number four. We should have taken one of our first half chances though.
mark
Site Admin

Postby Tempie » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:46 am

Mainly for Andrew, hope you’re ok not heard from you in a while? Same old story yesterday. Jansen says we were unlucky. We did miss a couple of one on ones but we always do! Nothing new there. Very little credit given to Harrogate who were down to bear bones of their squad. They had a goal disallowed, missed a pen and beck had two headers which had they been a yard either side of Urwin he’d have had no chance. Urwin also made a good save from a corner. I don’t remember their keeper making a meaningful save. Except if I’m really generous one of the carver one on ones but it was going over anyway. Metz looked quick but if you google him you’ll see his injury record is shocking. Research needed before we sign people. Back to the drawing board hopefully.
Tempie

Postby andrewa » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:09 am

Hi Tempie, thanks for posting and your concern! Yes I'm ok just got a bit fed up that nobody seemed to be posting anything. Things seem to have bucked up a bit though, so here I am.

I think there is a real crisis with our forward line at the moment, no goals for three games, consistently poor finishing and back to seemingly random signing of loan players, who then spend 80 minutes of each game warming the bench. The only reason Metz got on was because Hughes was injured.
I know we are not full time and not a big money club, but the frustrating thing is that Matt Jansen does not seem to acknowledge there is a problem in the forwards. All the teams above us have a prominent goalscorer, I think I'm right in saying only North Ferriby have scored less goals than us. If we had converted half the chances we create over a season we would be up there with the Salfords and Harrogates. As it stands we are mid table, with the playoffs becoming more distant by the week.
andrewa

Postby ShaunB » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:30 pm

Does anyone agree with Matt's view that the team should be confident before the visit of Kidderminster, as "the last 3 games, we've shown how good we are"?

Chorley 0 Southport 0; Southport 3 Chorley 0; Chorley 0 Harrogate 1
ShaunB

Postby Ed » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:36 pm

We seem to do well, and score goals, when we sit back and use our defensive strengths as a springboard to go forward.
eg Away game at Salford - no problem with our strikers who had room to perform and score 3.
When we go all out to pressurise teams we can come unstuck.
From the Southport video, we seemed to be all over them with chances going begging - and THEY scored 3.
Ed

Postby Soapbox » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:10 pm

Good performance ( again ) yesterday, but obviously lacking goals. You can be sure the management are aware of this as we were outbid by Southport for Gilchrist and the lad Hughes opted for Stockport last week. Hopefully there should be news of a signing in the next couple of days.
Soapbox

Postby Tempie » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:03 pm

ShaunB wrote:Does anyone agree with Matt's view that the team should be confident before the visit of Kidderminster, as "the last 3 games, we've shown how good we are"?

Chorley 0 Southport 0; Southport 3 Chorley 0; Chorley 0 Harrogate 1

I agree with very little he says.
Tempie

Postby extech » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:44 pm

Comment from a Southport fan sat in front of me before the match. "we are rubbish"

20 mins into the game " how many gifts do you want before you score?"

enough said, Been the same for a couple of seasons now. Mid table beckons unless there is a big improvement
extech

Return to Chorley FC