The nash

Talk about the Magpies. Be respectful to others, no swearing, insulting posts or libellous remarks please.

Moderators: Ian Livesey, Pete Rothwell, Moderators

The nash

Postby mark » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:43 pm

Any win at Curzon Ashton is to be prized, as we have been beaten there so many times. Today we scored early, threatening to run riot thereafter. But Curzon came back into the game and were unfortunate not to go in level at half time. Fortunately a Nick Haughton wonder goal gave us breathing space and in the end we won comfortably.
mark
Site Admin

Re: The nash

Postby JONATHAN FROST » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:03 pm

Yes, as you say, Mark, a win there is indeed a marvellous achievement, as good as a home win against a top four club. Curzon are no push overs.
JONATHAN FROST

Postby Prodigal son » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:40 pm

Thought we played quite well today, though lacked a little energy up top, perhaps not surprising as Brewster is clearly lacking sharpness. Haughton was wonderful again, and worth the admission money alone, not to mention the sublime effort to seal the game. Really pleased with these 3 points.
Prodigal son

Postby Tempie » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:47 pm

Prodigal son wrote:Thought we played quite well today, though lacked a little energy up top, perhaps not surprising as Brewster is clearly lacking sharpness. Haughton was wonderful again, and worth the admission money alone, not to mention the sublime effort to seal the game. Really pleased with these 3 points.

Agree with all of that
Tempie

Postby mike1 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:22 am

Prodigal son wrote:Thought we played quite well today, though lacked a little energy up top, perhaps not surprising as Brewster is clearly lacking sharpness. Haughton was wonderful again, and worth the admission money alone, not to mention the sublime effort to seal the game. Really pleased with these 3 points.

Excellent result and great to have Nick Haughton doing what he does best again. There seems to have been a return to a familiar CFC pattern: score first away from home and go on to win the game often with a clean-sheet. A very timely win with a few teams below us beginning to close up behind us. On another tack, well done Spennymoor in the Trophy - but their success means we will be prevented from hosting them on 3rd February, the date for the third round. Still, they might not fancy coming down here on a Tuesday evening.
mike1

Postby andrewa » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:23 am

A very good result. How did Brewster look, allowing for the lack of match fitness.
andrewa

Postby Tempie » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:52 am

Andrew- he looked ok to me, he was very unfit though.
Tempie

Postby Ian Livesey » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:18 am

Told by Smudger that higher up the leagues, they like to train their players to play in zones and it's completely different at this level. So give him time and hopefully will come out of this shell and start to play how he's capable of.

Yesterday was a great win as mentioned by mark, a ground with slim pickings (apart from the 6-2 win in 2010) for the Magpies. Curzon weren't all that though, and the next three games against teams in the lower reaches are all winnable.
Ian Livesey
Site Admin

Postby andrewa » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:49 am

Of course its the "winnable" games that we struggle with. Real progress will be when we start to turn domination into goals and convincing wins against the teams below us.
andrewa

Postby Prodigal son » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:15 pm

Andrew, I think it is about balance, yesterday with Wilson and Brewster up top we seemed to lack energy, not forgetting Brewster clearly needs game time, for once Jansen used his subs to good effect, bringing on Carver when Curzon were on top, that gave us so much more drive up top and the game swung back our way, then, of course, we had the individual brilliance of Nick Haughton with his goal. I think we can move forward from this fame with a bit more confidence.
Prodigal son

Postby andrewa » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:35 pm

I think Carver is important for the energy he puts into the team and the occasional goal. Wouldn't he be some player if his finishing was sharper!
andrewa

Postby Ed » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:32 pm

Prodigal son wrote:Carverror. .. gave us so much more drive up top and the game swung back our way, then, of course, we had the individual brilliance of Nick Haughton with his goal. I think we can move forward from this fame with a bit more confidence.

Or maybe, now Nick's gone we will be moving backwards.
Ed

Postby man in the stand » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:47 pm

Guess Fleetwood have recalled him because they have received a transfer offer.
man in the stand

Postby andrewa » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:51 pm

Bet he's going to one of our wealthy rivals. Any guesses? Would it have been wiser to anticipate this happening and to have made our own offer ( some of the FA cup winnings) ?
andrewa

Postby Tempie » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:57 pm

Andrew it would take all of the fa cup winnings, not just some! That kind of money would pay 3 or 4 very good players wages next season. I’m banned from being negative but I think we made a major mistake by not strengthening much in the summer. I’d love nick to be a chorley player but putting all your eggs in one basket is a bit silly. There are 2 young strikers at clitheroe that I’d like to see here next season. If we can add goals to this team we won’t be far away.
Tempie

Postby andrewa » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:05 pm

I'm sure you are right Tempie. I agree the team is not far off, but a creative midfielder from somewhere would be nice. Like you say, there's talent out there and it's often on the doorstep.
andrewa

Postby mike1 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:34 pm

Tempie wrote:Andrew it would take all of the fa cup winnings, not just some! That kind of money would pay 3 or 4 very good players wages next season. I’m banned from being negative but I think we made a major mistake by not strengthening much in the summer. I’d love nick to be a chorley player but putting all your eggs in one basket is a bit silly. There are 2 young strikers at clitheroe that I’d like to see here next season. If we can add goals to this team we won’t be far away.

I'm on your wavelength, Tempie, about the potential young strikers. It's a month or two ago that I was advocating on here taking a close look at Kurt Willoughby at Clitheroe. He can score penalties too! There must be mileage in taking a punt on a proven scorer from a lower league where most of the clubs simply couldn't say no to a grand or two dangled in front of them.
mike1

Postby Ed » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:44 pm

mike1 wrote:[quote="Tempie" I’d love nick to be a chorley player but putting all your eggs in one basket is a bit silly. There are 2 young strikers at clitheroe that I’d like to see here next season. If we can add goals to this team we won’t be far away.

Mike1 wrote " on your wavelength, Tempie, about the potential young strikers. It's a month or two ago that I was advocating on here taking a close look at Kurt Willoughby at Clitheroe. He can score penalties. [/quote]

Is Willoughby more promising than Pratt or Darr?
There again why would any young player want to come to Chorley with our reputation for not playing younger players?
Ed

Postby Prodigal son » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:41 pm

Ed, therein lies the problem, why indeed would a young non league player come to us, Jansen only seems to be interested in players that have been "highly recommended" to him by the likes of David Unsworth who was "raving" about Brewster, so much so he terminated his contract or didn't offer an extension.
Prodigal son

Postby Tempie » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:57 pm

Kurt is on contract at clitheroe so I think it’s unlikely we will go for him, I think newby is the better of the 2 so I’d be trying to get him ASAP. I suppose that would mean a slight admission of error from Jansen tho because he didn’t take him on after trial in the summer
Tempie

Postby Ian Livesey » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:27 pm

Wasn't the "Newby" on trial in the summer Elliott Newby? (ex Alty and now at Telford)
Ian Livesey
Site Admin

Postby Tempie » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:21 pm

Ian I thought it was his brother Alex. Could be wrong tho.
Tempie

Return to Chorley FC