Gresley Rovers

Talk about anything in football not related to Chorley FC

Moderators: Ian Livesey, Pete Rothwell, Moderators

Gresley Rovers

Postby paul m » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:02 pm

Just read this on non league daily. Just makes you think we could be a lot worse off.

The majority of players with UniBond League Division One South club Gresley Rovers have agreed to remain loyal for the time being after being told they will not be paid for the rest of the season.

The news was broken to manager Gary Norton's squad at training on Thursday night.

It comes in a week in which chairman Mark Harrison has issued an appeal for financial support after the collapse of a deal to sell the Moat Ground – a move which could have safeguarded the club's future.

Harrison is now seeking to put together a package which will enable Gresley to complete the current season without going under.

One of the first moves has been to freeze the playing budget – although it is understood that some of the players have been continuing with their wages unpaid for some time already.

Now that the players have been told the situation officially, the details of the club's eight contracted players are to be circulated to other interested parties.

One player leaves immediately – with captain Jamie Hood (right) completing a move to British Gas Buisness Southern League Division One Midlands high-flyers Atherstone Town.

The other contracted players at Gresley are David Blenkinsopp, Louis Briscoe, Miles Chamberlain, Barry Woolley, Micky Lyons, Luke Edwards and Brian Woodhall.

But Norton (pictured above) is keeping his fingers crossed that there will not be a wholesale exodus – at least before Saturday's game away to Spalding United.

""We'll be signing all the reserve players on first-team terms in case they're needed," said Norton.

"But, knowing this group, I'll be very surprised if I lose more than a very small number of them.

"They are a brilliant bunch with a great team spirit and it's such a shame that all this is happening, because we had started to develop a really good squad."

Norton himself has remained remarkably loyal to the previous club adminstration and the current one as Gresley have lurched from crisis to crisis.

And in his tenth year at the Moat he says he sees no reason to waiver now.

"It's the sixth year that's I've been first-team manager and I'm as proud of being Gresley manager today as I was on the first day," he said.

"I'm not going to leave them in the lurch when they're at the lowest point in the club's 126-year history.

"It's obviously something I've thought about a lot but I'm putting my own situation to one side for now.

"In some ways it's a relief that everything is out in the open – it's black and white now, rather than shades of grey.

"We are where we are and at least we know what we've got to deal with.

"There's no playing budget to work with until the end of the season, so that's the challenge now – we have to see who will be prepared to play for nothing.

"The key will be to fulfil our fixtures – and to make sure we still have a club for next season."

Chairman Mark Harrison issued a statement in a bid to clarify the situation.

In it, he admitted that the board were back to square one in their bid to rescue the financial situation they inherited from outgoing chairman Mark Evans in April.

"We have been working very hard to try to get some money into this club and we have been in negotiation with a company about buying the ground and helping us move to a new ground," he stated.

"Unfortunately, the company in question has now pulled out and put the club right back where it started.

"We are taking advice from professional people on the choices we have to secure the future of Gresley Rovers."

The club have met with the FA for to keep them informed and seek advice and, while going into receivership is one option, Harrison said: "I am confident it won't come to that."
paul m

Return to Other Football Chat