Darwen to Accept Winding-up Order

Talk about anything in football not related to Chorley FC

Moderators: Ian Livesey, Pete Rothwell, Moderators

Darwen to Accept Winding-up Order

Postby Gobsmacked » Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:04 pm

North west Counties League Division One side Darwen are set to go out of existence after announcing that they will not contest a winding-up order.

The club is due in court on Wednesday where it is expected they will be ordered out of business.

NWCL spokesman Dave Tomlinson said: "We are obviously very concerned to hear that Darwen Football Club is facing such difficulties.

"It is our hope that a satisfactory outcome can be found to this problem."

Founded in 1875, Darwen reached the semi-finals of the FA Cup in 1881 and joined the Football League 10 years later.

However they failed to gain re-election in 1899 and have been out of the League ever since.

In 1982, they became founder members of the North West Counties League - currently branded as the Vodkat League.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 872337.stm
Gobsmacked

Postby Magpie in Exile » Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:13 pm

First ever Chorley game I saw was at home to Darwen (0-0) and , and the first Chorley victory I saw was away to Darwen six games later! (1-0, Jimmy Garret in injury time) Very sad if they go, if only for sentimental reasons. Unlike others, I think a club lives on, even if at a much lower level, so long as it's the same club
Magpie in Exile

Postby mark » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:47 pm

They are still going at the moment and moves are afoot to secure the club's future. It would be a terrible shame to see such an old club go.

Our record home attendance is against Darwen: 9679 for a Cup game in November 1932. It says in the programme it's an FA Cup game but it seems a bit later in the year for us to have been involved. I wonder what the score was.

Imagine that crowd on Victory Park! I recall 3000 for Macclesfield in 1996 but that is the most I have seen.
mark
Site Admin

Postby mike1 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:05 am

mark wrote:
Our record home attendance is against Darwen: 9679 for a Cup game in November 1932.

Imagine that crowd on Victory Park! I recall 3000 for Macclesfield in 1996 but that is the most I have seen.

Many supporters will have memories of the crowd of 6,300+ for the Wimbledon FA Trophy replay in 1977. There were nowhere near enough pies that night! And I think about 4,800 then witnessed the quarter-final at VP the same year against Dagenham.
mike1

Return to Other Football Chat