Euxton Villa v Coppull United at VP

Talk about anything in football not related to Chorley FC

Moderators: Ian Livesey, Pete Rothwell, Moderators

Euxton Villa v Coppull United at VP

Postby Paul » Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:56 pm

Local sides Euxton Villa and Coppull United are scheduled to play a semi final match at Victory Park this month. According to Euxton Villa’s website there Amateur Shield semi final tie with Coppull United is due to be played on 10th January, at Victory Park. I’d imagine that there will be an admission fee to watch the match but it may be worth looking how good two local sides from the West Lancs league really are and whether either side has any young players of similar quality to Steve Williams.
Paul

Coppull v Euxton

Postby runshaw » Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:41 am

Yes the semi final was played on VP last night, in front of a crowd officially given at 438.

Not a good advert for the West Lancs League, a typical semi final, a dire affair with both sides obviously not wanting to lose.

In answer to your point of how good two local sides are and the youngsters, in the end this wasn't the right game to judge that which was a shame given this opportunity, although I thought Villa's no 5 did an excellent job on Bricknell until that very cruel extra time winner.

On another note though, it was good to visit VP again although trying to get a coffee at halftime (gave up as as a bad job) and then a pint (nearly gave up) was a bit of a task trying to get served.
runshaw

Re: Coppull v Euxton

Postby Ian Livesey » Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:01 am

runshaw wrote:Yes the semi final was played on VP last night, in front of a crowd officially given at 438.
:shock: HOW MANY?!?

runshaw wrote:On another note though, it was good to visit VP again although trying to get a coffee at halftime (gave up as as a bad job) and then a pint (nearly gave up) was a bit of a task trying to get served.
We go there every other week mate, we know the feeling. In fact, it's a disgrace when this happens because it puts off prospective Chorley supporters or anyone if they want to visit us again. It tarnishes their day/night out, and it will be an everlasting memory.
Ian Livesey
Site Admin

Postby Gobsmacked » Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:24 pm

I wasn't in the least surprised to read the attendance. I know that Charnock Richard occasionally get gates estimated at over 500 when they are playing top of the league clashes. I watched them play Coppull last season and I would estimate a crowd of between 500-600.

Of course, it remains open to question whether we would see attendances like that in the West Lancs League if it was six quid on the gate.
Gobsmacked

Postby Geoff Haslam » Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:36 am

the actual attendance for this game was 338 and not 438 as presviously stated
Geoff Haslam

ATTENDANCE

Postby runshaw » Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:12 pm

Geoff Haslam wrote:the actual attendance for this game was 338 and not 438 as presviously stated

Couple of points to make.

On the attendance, the announcer said it was 438, I counted 377 but got fed up and stopped, I just had one half of the main stand left to do and there were quite a few in there (I'm sad like this) so 438 is much closer to the 338, I would have said 500+

On the matter of the 6 quid, I go down to watch Euxton regulary, I don't get much change from a tenner by the time I've (and lots of others) had a few brews, something to eat, bought a programme had a raffle ticket, done the football card.... etc etc, when people are committed to something and enjoy it then they generally pay.
runshaw

Re: ATTENDANCE

Postby Paul » Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:23 pm

runshaw wrote: On the attendance, the announcer said it was 438

You wouldn’t have known Runshaw but Geoff was the announcer who gave the attendance figure on the night. Unlike at Chorley home games over 90% of the crowd decided to stand on the main stand side. I went to the game and felt on the night that although there were more people on the ground than at a Chorley match, I personally thought there was no more than an extra 100 on than an average Chorley gate this season. Still a good crowd whatever the real attendance but you have to consider that the teams involved were both local, full of local players who each only had to get a handful of family and friends to come to the game and an attendance of over 200 was easily achieved.

I’ve made this point before but I think it would be a good idea to have a four team tournament involving Chorley, Charnock Richard, Coppull Utd and Euxton Villa during the pre season. It would be a lot more entertaining and competitive than a lot of the away pre season fixtures we have played at North West counties and amateur teams in recent seasons. I would play two semi final matches one Saturday and the final and 3rd/ 4th place matches the following Saturday. To make it a bit more interesting you could split the gate money 40% to the winners, 30% for 2nd, 20% for 3rd and 10% for 4th.
Last edited by Paul on Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul

Re: ATTENDANCE

Postby petermarkcraig » Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:25 pm

Paul wrote:
I’ve made this point before but I think it would be a good idea to have a four team tournament involving Chorley, Charnock Richard, Coppull Utd and Euxton Villa during the pre season. It would be a lot more entertaining and competitive than a lot of the away pre season fixtures we have played at North West counties and amateur teams in recent seasons. I would play two semi final matches one Saturday and the final and 3rd/ 4th place matches the following Saturday. To make it a bit more interesting you could split the gate money 40% to the winners, 30% for 2nd, 20% for 3rd and 10% for 4th.

Sounds like a good idea to me 8)
petermarkcraig
Site Admin

Postby YOUNGZAC » Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:00 pm

sounds a superb idea. Local fixtures, big attendance, money over the bar for the club, programmes, on and on. I m sure we ll be playing blackburn s youth team again though.

WOOD N TREES SPRING TO MIND.
YOUNGZAC

Return to Other Football Chat