Shildon, Shildon 'ere we come......??

Talk about anything in football not related to Chorley FC

Moderators: Ian Livesey, Pete Rothwell, Moderators

Shildon, Shildon 'ere we come......??

Postby Charlie Magpie » Sun May 13, 2012 11:38 pm

According to today's Non-league Paper, Darlington are to play their home games at Shildon next season. The Quakers will use the Northern League Division One club's 2,500 capacity Dean Street as home after signing a one-year lease. They are confident the ground will meet Evo-Stik NPL Premier standards - the league which looks most likely for the Quakers next season.

In another article, it states that, "Step 3 leagues are set to increase their numbers from 22 clubs to 24 from the 2013-14 season". I hope this is achieved by promoting three clubs from the Evo-Stik North and South Leagues rather than reprieves for 19th and 20th in the Premier League - give the likes of Curzon, Skelmersdale, Lancaster a chance to play at the higher level.

Oxford City won the Southern League Play-off Final and will be promoted, together with Southern champions, Brackley Town to the Blue Square Bet NORTH??
The North/South divide at Step 2 continues to migrate southwards. At this rate it will only be a few years until a London club is playing in the Blue Square Bet North!!
Charlie Magpie

Re: Shildon, Shildon 'ere we come......??

Postby reco » Mon May 14, 2012 12:16 am

Charlie Magpie wrote:According to today's Non-league Paper, Darlington are to play their home games at Shildon next season. The Quakers will use the Northern League Division One club's 2,500 capacity Dean Street as home after signing a one-year lease. They are confident the ground will meet Evo-Stik NPL Premier standards - the league which looks most likely for the Quakers next season.

In another article, it states that, "Step 3 leagues are set to increase their numbers from 22 clubs to 24 from the 2013-14 season". I hope this is achieved by promoting three clubs from the Evo-Stik North and South Leagues rather than reprieves for 19th and 20th in the Premier League - give the likes of Curzon, Skelmersdale, Lancaster a chance to play at the higher level.

Oxford City won the Southern League Play-off Final and will be promoted, together with Southern champions, Brackley Town to the Blue Square Bet NORTH??
The North/South divide at Step 2 continues to migrate southwards. At this rate it will only be a few years until a London club is playing in the Blue Square Bet North!!

Are you a year behind chris?
reco

Postby Ian Livesey » Mon May 14, 2012 12:52 am

If you're on about Bishop's Stortford, reco, it's not in London.
Ian Livesey
Site Admin

Postby Locki » Mon May 14, 2012 8:48 am

This is the problem you get with two of the three feeder leagues to step two of the non-league pyramid are southern based. There should be a Midlands Premier League sat along side the Northern Premier, Southern League and Isthmian League.
Locki

Postby Charlie Magpie » Mon May 14, 2012 12:41 pm

Locki wrote:This is the problem you get with two of the three feeder leagues to step two of the non-league pyramid are southern based. There should be a Midlands Premier League sat along side the Northern Premier, Southern League and Isthmian League.

Here, here!

I'll agree with you there,Locki. With four divisions at Step 3, the Evo-Stik Northern Premier and a newly created Midland league could feed into the Blue Square North, and the Southern and Isthmian Leagues could feed into the Blue Square South.

There is definately a southern bias at the moment, with two out of three Step 3 leagues based in the south. The Isthmian League, based mostly in London and the south-east, looks relatively 'cosy' compared to the distances Northern Premier clubs, including us, will have to travel next season.

Hopefully, one day, a bit of 'northern' common sense will be applied to the non-league pyramid!
Charlie Magpie

Postby mark » Mon May 14, 2012 1:22 pm

Oxford is South of Bishop's Stortford but a fair bit nearer Chorley. I wouldn't fancy either of them at part-time level and I don't suppose a lot of our players would either. Imagine a midweek trip to Oxford. You'd need the afternoon off and you'd be lucky to get home by 1am.

There should obviously be four leagues at step 3, where we are.

What kind of a pyramid goes 1 - 2 - 3 - 6 - bloody loads? If you built that out of stone it would look stupid and certainly wouldn't last 4500 years

1 - 2 - 4 - 8 - 16 etc makes much more sense.

Who knows, it might even encourage the Northern League to start getting involved with promotion and relegation again if they knew that Step 3 only went as far south as, say, Manchester. I think the geographical reach of NPL 1 North is more suited to Step 3 than Step 4. Actually I think it's more suited to professional football but I am a bit old fashioned like that.
mark
Site Admin

Postby mark » Mon May 14, 2012 1:24 pm

Back on topic. Shildon is a dreadful dump as far as I recall from our last visit. I think there's just one stand nd the rest of the ground is falling to pieces. If memory serves there isn't even a roof on the toilet. I wouldn't have said it was anywhere near suitable for a crowd of the size Darlington should draw if they start doing well.
mark
Site Admin

Return to Other Football Chat