Appleton sacked/Owen to retire

Talk about anything in football not related to Chorley FC

Moderators: Ian Livesey, Pete Rothwell, Moderators

Appleton sacked/Owen to retire

Postby metz » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:11 pm

From BBC Sport:

Championship strugglers Blackburn have sacked boss Michael Appleton after 15 games and 67 days at Ewood Park. He is the third manager to leave the club this season following the departures of Steve Kean in September and Henning Berg in December. Reserve-team coach Gary Bowyer has been put back in charge for the remainder of the season. Appleton, 37, left Blackpool to take control of Rovers on 11 January, having begun the season with Portsmouth.

He won four of his first seven games, but Blackburn have failed to win since knocking Arsenal out of the FA Cup and Rovers are 18th in the table, just four points above the relegation zone. A brief statement on the club website said: "Blackburn Rovers FC can confirm that Michael Appleton has been relieved of his duties as manager along with assistant manager Ashley Westwood, first-team coach Darren Moore and head of senior recruitment Luke Dowling."

And in other news, Former England striker Michael Owen is to retire from football at the end of the season. Owen, 33, who scored 40 goals in 89 internationals, played for Liverpool, Real Madrid, Newcastle United and Manchester United and is now at Stoke. He said: "It is with an immense amount of pride that I am announcing my intention to retire. I have been very fortunate in that my career has taken me on a journey I could only have dreamed of."

Already Divvy Chat is buzzing with excitement with the thought that Owen could join Chester in either a playing or ambassadorial role. Owen has stables in the Chester area and his dad, Terry played for the club in it's former guise, Chester City.
metz

Return to Other Football Chat