FC United

Talk about anything in football not related to Chorley FC

Moderators: Ian Livesey, Pete Rothwell, Moderators

FC United

Postby mike1 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:13 pm

What's going on? FC United hammered 4-0 at Brackley of all places, despite the presence of four ex-Magpies on the team-sheet(Tom Smyth, Sam Sheridan and Harry Winter + Matt Walwyn on the bench). Another manager under pressure according to disgruntled fans on Twitter? Difficult to believe they are having such a poor season.
mike1

Re: FC United

Postby Ian R » Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:21 pm

Matty new wot he was doing,simples
Just don't get rid of Deano,please,please
Ian R

Postby Paul Speak » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:51 pm

"mike1"

Another manager under pressure according to disgruntled fans on Twitter? Difficult to believe
they are having such a poor season

Margy, generally, does not seem to be a popular manager at FC - For the last 2 seasons there
have been calls for him to be replaced during Autumn / Winter ... Until they have gone on long
runs of making few mistakes ( finishing 2nd / 1st ) when there were few comments about him,
very little credit ! The main criticism from the fans is that he should play 4-4-2 :P rather than
Greaves as a lone striker ... My view is that if they were fortunate enough to have Josh and Daz
either side of Greaves ( instead of Wolfenden / Fallon and Lindfield ) in 4-3-3 or 4-5-1 then the
actual formation would not be the issue.

Having said that with the quality and size of their squad I, too, am surprised that they are
involved in the relegation fight, And despite his long record of success with them he must be
under an increasing amount of pressure - Maybe, not only from the fans .....
Paul Speak
MIS Prediction League Winner 2011/12

Postby Locki » Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:41 am

I have thought for years that Margy has taken FCUM as far as he can (Evo-Stik One North is his level IMO), but the size of the club has dragged him higher and higher; but there is a limit to how high a manager can be dragged.

With the resources available and the ability to attract players off the back of their support it would have been hard for any manager to fail at FCUM in their first 10 years as they were never competing on a level playing field in the North West Counties or Northern Premier League; their advantage over the other clubs was massive and promotion was always a matter of when and not if (and their four promotions should have been achieved quicker).

However, in the more competitive world of Conference football they're being found lacking - there is only so far repetitive 5-a-side training sessions can take you! If they were to appoint a manager with Conference experience, or half a footballing brain, they'd be up their looking to go up and would in time be challenging for a place in the football league.

But because they're such a principled bunch (3pm Saturday KO's, no shirt sponsors and the "We're Holier Than Thou" mentality they have) I can't imagine them sacking him!!!
Locki

Postby mark » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:41 am

3pm Saturday kick offs are something I think every football fan in England prefers, and who thinks that shirts look better with sponsors logos all over them?

As for the analysis of Marginson as a manager, it seems to me that his assistant Darren Lyons makes a big contribution to the tactics. I haven't been to any FCUM training sessions, but I think if you compare their performance and organization in the matches against us this season and last, they have gone backwards rapidly.

There is much to be said for continuity and the effect it had on team spirit: just look at us for an example of that. I think one of the reasons FCUM have been progressing more slowly than people might have expected is that they were hamstrung by the ground rent they had to pay for each match. Plus they were raising money and building a new ground. For me they look like a club who are trying to build a sustainable business, which seems to be going very well indeed, rather than rush through the divisions.

That said, the new ground is there now and much of the above no longer applies. I would not be surprised if Margnson does get the boot.
mark
Site Admin

Postby Paul Speak » Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:56 pm

They do, of course, still have to repay £1.6m of 'loans' to Manchester City Council from the financing
of building B.P :twisted:
Paul Speak

Postby Paul Speak » Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:59 pm

"Ian R"

Matty new wot he was doing, simples, Just don't get rid of Deano

Deano is contracted ...
Paul Speak

Postby Gobsmacked » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:37 pm

Hmm! After today's round of matches, the theme of this thread seems somewhat hollow considering we are now just one place and three points ahead of them - albeit with a game in hand which we aren't guaranteed to win.

I am no lover of FCUM but, rather than discussing their problems, perhaps we should be concentrating on our own.
Gobsmacked

Return to Other Football Chat