What's the best and worst football grounds

Talk about anything in football not related to Chorley FC

Moderators: Ian Livesey, Pete Rothwell, Moderators

What's the best and worst football grounds

Postby Horwich RMI » Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:35 pm

...that you've visted over the years?
Horwich RMI

Postby Jue » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:19 pm

Bradford would be ok if the would arrange all those portable cabins. According to a few others the very worst is Alsager.

Typical me to mention food but Goole homemade pies are georgous.
Jue

Postby gaz » Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:01 pm

easy horwich...
gaz

Postby Ian Livesey » Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:04 pm

North Ferriby for food definately (I'm sure many will agree with that). Alsager worst for food, surroundings, pitch, results, bogs.
Ian Livesey
Site Admin

Postby gaz » Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:07 pm

boston best ground bishop aukland worst food
gaz

Postby Horwich RMI » Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:33 am

gaz wrote:easy horwich...

Haha best or worst! :lol: Best food that's for sure! Happy days. :cry:

Not the worst, but my least favourite would have to be Colne, I just dont like the place.
Horwich RMI

Postby Pica Pica » Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:56 am

Best Grounds:

Ruislip Manor - they served us tea & coffee in proper mugs!

Worthing - great clubhouse, friendly service

Winchester - you can drive in and park alongside the pitch so if it rains you can stay in your car. The clubhouse is pretty good too.

Worst Grounds:
Bishop Auckland's old ground in 1994 in the Trophy with Enfield. Ricketty old stand that made you live in fear every time anything happened plus no roof on the mens' toilets - from the stand you could see them at the troughs. Add to that the mystery contents in the pies (to this day I swear it was highly heated toothpaste) and it was a total football experience.

Worthing - Actually, it's just the main stand as it's made of concrete and with the wind blowing in on you during a February game you lose the feeling below the knee. Everyone walked out like Douglas Bader.
Pica Pica

Postby Horwich RMI » Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:36 am

Pica Pica wrote:Worst Grounds:
Bishop Auckland's old ground in 1994 in the Trophy with Enfield. Ricketty old stand that made you live in fear every time anything happened plus no roof on the mens' toilets - from the stand you could see them at the troughs. Add to that the mystery contents in the pies (to this day I swear it was highly heated toothpaste) and it was a total football experience.

I would have been 7 at the time but I vaguely remember that! :lol:
Horwich RMI

Postby YOUNGZAC » Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:54 pm

Alsager Town was a sight to see, mind you as was the old Den back in '88 :shock:
YOUNGZAC

Postby mark » Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:28 pm

Winsford United's is the worst I've seen. Last time I visited, around 1999 I think, the dog track around the pitch looked abandoned, the toilets didn't work and there was rubble piled high around the perimeter wall. It looked like it hadn't been tidied up for years.

Some recent photos http://www.groundhopping.de/winsford.htm

As seems customary, I should note that I had a very bad pie there once.
mark
Site Admin

Postby Ryan » Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:14 am

That sums up Winsford as a town Mark, not just the football ground.

Incidentally, I would have it as my worst too having visited on a Tuesday night some time in the late nineties.
Ryan

Grounds

Postby Weldbanker » Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:27 pm

Worst has to be Daisy Hill, only one stand that is nearly falling down with bench style seats. Record gate is allegedly 2000 (clearly estimated anyway) but I would like to see 2000 people try and get on there (or rather would not).
Weldbanker

Postby Magpie+Baggie » Fri May 02, 2008 8:23 pm

Ryan wrote:
That sums up Winsford as a town Mark, not just the football ground.

Incidentally, I would have it as my worst too having visited on a Tuesday night some time in the late nineties.

Oi Oi!
Last edited by Magpie+Baggie on Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Magpie+Baggie

Worst...........

Postby petergarrity » Fri May 02, 2008 8:34 pm

Anyone been to Atherton Colls ?????

Beats St. Helens Town though (Rugby ground) 18,000 stadium, 50 fans on average and loads of stewards.... just one side of the ground open, a surreal experience watching football there.

Another serious contender for "worst" is Formby(situated behind Tesco on the Formby by-pass) again in NWCFL Div.1, a collection of portacabins and enclosed on 3 sides by a mesh fence although to be fair they do have covering behind both goals.

Clubs such as Charnock Richard have been told how much they would have to spend to be considered for entry into the NWC yet some clubs already in it fall way short of the required standard.

Best non-league I've been to are Burton Albion and Stalybridge Celtic although for some odd quirky reason I love Ashton United's Hurst Cross ground....like Victory Park it's old but it's got character !!!
petergarrity
MIS Prediction League Winner 2009/10

Return to Other Football Chat