FC United

Talk about anything in football not related to Chorley FC

Moderators: Ian Livesey, Pete Rothwell, Moderators

FC United

Postby mark » Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:41 pm

I met a few FC fans in a pub in Manchester last night. Their home match had been called off, so a few of them took taxis to Atherton to watch their reserves play. We got talking, and they asked me, as a non-league fan, what people in non-league football think about them.

So what do you all think about FC United, and the likely prospect of playing them next season if we can avoid relegation and keep the club afloat?
mark
Site Admin

Postby Magpie in Exile » Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:28 am

Hmmmm, tough one that. first point, pretty neutral towards them as a club, unlike, say Bamber Bridge (who we can never get the better of) Kettering (for their yobbish behaviour on and off the pitch) and Frome Town (who's manager is so foul mouthed and biased I nearly left a match last wednesday) all of whom I would regard in a negative light.

I was one of the contributors in a thread about FCUM last season in which I expressed some unease, partly because FCUM survival depends on the supporters not going back to Man U: others suggested this is unlikely to happen, and partly because I would have liked just ten percent of their support to turn up at Victory Park instead. Rapidly revising my ideas and, dare I say it, coming to regard them as just another club.

These fans didn't like the way Man U was going and did something about it. There were enough of them to make it stick and so it worked, and I must say they had several genuine greivances both with Man U and with top tier football. I suspect there are many other one-time Premiership fans who have drifted away to lower level football, more time with the family, or dare I say it, premiership rugby.

They still have some work to do: their crowds suggest they should make the conference national division their natural home, but they need a real home. Gigg Lane will always be someone elses ground. Given that Man U don't play in Manchester (and never have) FCUM don't need to either, but a place to call home is essential.

So? Like or dislike? lets just say I'm looking forward to Chorley v FC United, not for a bumper crowd, or for three points (ha ha) but for those intangible reasons that make some fixtures more appealing than others. It's one I will be making the long trip north for.
Magpie in Exile

Postby mark » Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:22 pm

Given that Man U don't play in Manchester (and never have)

They always have and still do, unless you feel that the borough of Trafford is not part of Manchester. Old Trafford is very close indeed to Salford, but is actually in Manchester.
mark
Site Admin

Postby Magpie in Exile » Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:14 pm

I don't want to get bogged down in this Mark, but that is exactly the point, and it isn't juts a pedantic one. FCUM can similarly consider somewhere near the city, but not actually in it, as a legitimate home
Magpie in Exile

Postby sjc1919 » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:48 am

Man Utd did not start out in Mancehster which is why the team can not wear the Manchester coat of arms......

:roll:
sjc1919

Postby petermarkcraig » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:52 am

sjc1919 wrote:Man Utd did not start out in Mancehster which is why the team can not wear the Manchester coat of arms......

:roll:

Newton Heath originally was it not?

I played cricket for Newton Heath......not a lot of people know that :roll:
petermarkcraig
Site Admin

FCUM

Postby Ryan » Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:02 pm

I too, am largely indifferent towards them although I suspect that may change IF we ever get to play them. My only real interest in them is/was how long can they last before the novelty wears off. I think the reasons for them starting up were very different to say AFC Wimbledon or AFC Telford. As it is though, the team are doing very well, have continued good support and look to be on the up. The best of luck to them. However, one or two of our own supporters have raised concern about the behaviour of the FCUM fans at Victory Park a few weeks ago. Indeed, I witnessed some unsavoury behaviour in Blackpool last season. One CFC fan even went so far as to say he wouldn't wear his CFC shirt if we played FCUM. These concerns are of the sort that are not associated with this level of football and certainly should not be tolerated/expected. If the fans are going to continue in this manner, then the only way other supporters view FCUM will be the same way the view MUFC...with contempt.
Ryan

Postby Phil Walsh » Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:30 am

I played cricket for Newton Heath......not a lot of people know that

No wonder they took up football then!!
Phil Walsh

Postby Phil Walsh » Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:31 am

I didnt do that right did I?
Phil Walsh

Postby Phil Walsh » Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:45 am

FCUM fans state they are taking the style of supporting football back to the "good old days" of the 70's , 80's and 90's when they could stand together in big crowds. I do know where they are coming from with this attitude, as I too dont think you can beat standing on the terraces. I admire their stance to set up a club to support as they want to support them, and not to just be another faceless number turining up, pouring money into the bottomless Premiership money pit.
But to pick up one of the threads of Ryans post, agree with him that I hope this also doesnt mean they resurrect the violence that came with those periods too.
Its a worry that the teenage idiots of the late 80's are still only going to be mid to late 30's(yes that is still quite young!!), and just hope they have matured somewhat.
If they do produce a club and fan base to be proud of, then good luck to them.
Phil Walsh

Postby petermarkcraig » Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:12 am

Phil Walsh wrote:
I played cricket for Newton Heath......not a lot of people know that

No wonder they took up football then!!

Phil you're about as good at quoting as I was at cricket :lol:
petermarkcraig
Site Admin

Postby Phil Walsh » Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:40 pm

Yeah it had me "stumped"!!
Phil Walsh

Postby petermarkcraig » Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:50 pm

Phil Walsh wrote:Yeah it had me "stumped"!!

Bails!!! to that mate :lol:
petermarkcraig
Site Admin

Postby Mick » Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:04 am

I was talking to a 'Man United' supporter at work yesterday and they were saying that as it was so difficult to get tickets for Old Trafford they were thinking of going to watch FCUM. The thing is, they live in Chorley. I asked them why they didn't go and watch Chorley instead as, after all, they are in a higher league and they looked at me as if I was stupid. I can't get my head around this sort of logic. I am also not convinced that FCUM themselves would welcome this type of 'supporter'.
Mick

Postby Ryan » Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:14 am

I am also not convinced that FCUM themselves would welcome this type of 'supporter'.

This is a fair point Mick, and one I alluded to in my post when I said

the only way other supporters view FCUM will be the same way the view MUFC...with contempt.

We all know MUFC's reputation for coach loads of fans arriving from Cornwall, Carlisle, Ireland, Norway etc. etc. and it has to be said, FCUM may well end up with a similar supporter base - glory hunters. I've always thought it must be very easy to be a MUFC fan: you turn up, see your team win (most of the time) and go home. Nothing too taxing about that. Perhaps (probably) this is why your work colleague is considering going to FCUM, for at the moment, their fans turn up, see their team win and go home happy. Watching Chorley and indeed alot of football league and premiership clubs does not afford this level of simple support leading to arrogance. I, for one, will watch my team regardless of who they are playing, the level they are playing at and the chances of them actually winning. I posed the question in my post "What happens when the novelty wears off or the team aren't doing so well?" I dare say fans who have gone to FCUM with motives such as your work colleague, Mick, would not hang around too long.

So, you may well be right, these are not the sort of "fans" FCUM are hoping to attract.
Ryan

Postby Mick » Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:26 am

What we have to be aware of though is, if (and its a big if) Chorley start to become succesful and make their way up the pyramid, we are going to start to attract bigger crowds. Do we welcome these people with open arms or do we deride them for being 'glory hunters'.
Also, in defence of most Utd fans, yes they do see them win 'most of the time' but don't forget the 26 years of mediocrity we had to go through to get in that position.
Mick

Postby Fat Boy Slim » Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:01 pm

However, one or two of our own supporters have raised concern about the behaviour of the FCUM fans at Victory Park a few weeks ago. Indeed, I witnessed some unsavoury behaviour in Blackpool last season. One CFC fan even went so far as to say he wouldn't wear his CFC shirt if we played FCUM. These concerns are of the sort that are not associated with this level of football and certainly should not be tolerated/expected. If the fans are going to continue in this manner, then the only way other supporters view FCUM will be the same way the view MUFC...with contempt.

What went on at the games?
Fat Boy Slim

Postby Mick » Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:29 pm

Jeff wrote:
Mick wrote:but don't forget the 26 years of mediocrity we had to go through to get in that position.

I take it you are speaking as a Manure fan with the above quote. They may have gone 26 years without winning the championship but I would hardly call those years mediocrity. For all but one of them they were in the top division and won one or two cups along the way.

No, but in the context of 'glory hunters' you could hardly call them glory years either. The point I was trying to make is that every club, be it Man United, FCUM or Chorley, are going to attract extra support (or glory hunters if you like) if they start winning games. So are these extra people who will flood into Victory Park to be welcomed with open arms or villified.
Mick

Postby al kyder » Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:48 pm

Just a word about FCUM fans.

I attended a wedding in Nantwich on Saturday and the groom had decided to have a few drinks and food put on at the Leopard pub there prior to the ceremony.
When we arrived the pub was overflowing with FCUM fans. No problem.
Until some muppet decided to put a 'Glazer out' sticker on the grooms car. His car is an Aston Martin DB6!!!!!
Anyway the lad who was getting married is a Utd fan himself and used to be involved in, what shall we say, the darker side of football.
However, as he was getting married that day, he kept calm and told some of the lads to get it off immediately, whilst letting it be known who he was and who he knows!!
It was quite a sight to see lads giving him an update of the removal process and constant apologies.
On the whole, good lads, spoilt a little by the odd clown.
al kyder

Return to Other Football Chat