Talk about anything in football not related to Chorley FC

Moderators: Ian Livesey, Pete Rothwell, Moderators

3G the way forward ?

Postby Junction 8 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:38 pm

Junction 8

Re: 3G the way forward ?

Postby 3G-CFC » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:46 am

Are asking me? :mrgreen:

I played on one last night, my knee is buggered this morning but that's age. :shock:

Yes its the way forward for non-league clubs, its means they get used every day of the week giving them revenue on non-match days.

The ones I know about are at Annan and Stockport are used extensively by the community.

They have come along way from the sand filled plastic pitches at Preston, QPR and Oldham.
3G-CFC

Postby Jeff » Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:11 pm

I went to see Bolton inaugurate Cliftonville's 3G pitch. It did not look like the old plastic pitches and played like grass. As far as I remember the goalkeepers did not wear trackie bottoms so that says something about 3g pitches.
Jeff

Postby 3G-CFC » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:25 pm

Jeff wrote:I went to see Bolton inaugurate Cliftonville's 3G pitch. It did not look like the old plastic pitches and played like grass. As far as I remember the goalkeepers did not wear trackie bottoms so that says something about 3g pitches.

They have come a long way Jeff, instead of picking grass and mud off your boots you have to emtpy small black balls out of them :lol:
3G-CFC

Postby Ryan » Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:05 pm

Widnes Vikings play Rugby League on an artificial pitch, given the tackles put in during Rugby games they must be a whole lot better. The surface at Widnes is called an "i-pitch". I don't know what difference that is to 3G other than its presumably made by Apple.
Ryan

Postby Junction 8 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:56 pm

dont know if i could see the magpies playing on a 3g pitch...

tamworth in the mud and rain e.g.
Junction 8

Postby Locki » Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:00 am

I wouldn't be against it if it was proposed and as long we the club got the most out of it; being able to train whenever the club wanted regardless of the weather and also to be able to higher the pitch out seven days a week would be a massive boost to the clubs income streams.

Plastic as certainly come on since we visited the Preston branch of carpet world 1986!
Locki

Postby Ryan » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:52 am

Although there are plenty of positives (mainly financial) the traditionalist side of me would always prefer grass. Would the football club benefit financially from hiring it out though given the football club company don't own the ground?
Ryan

Postby Igrapop » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:01 pm

3G certainly is a way forward as a means of providing revenue for clubs at least at the level we are at. It also has benefits in providing training facilities in bad weather during the summer months but for me and I think if you polled most footballers from every league grass is and always will be the surface that football should be played on. What needs to happen is greater investment in ground maintenance and pitch protection, literally in the grass roots most of which in my opinion should come from the premier league and TV.
Footballers Do It On Grass
Igrapop

Return to Other Football Chat