The future - discuss

Talk about the Magpies. Be respectful to others, no swearing, insulting posts or libellous remarks please.

Moderators: Ian Livesey, Pete Rothwell, Moderators

The future - discuss

Postby petermarkcraig » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:29 am

It's been a suck it and see season this season by the looks of things. Maybe once the deal with the council becomes clearer and the future becomes more predictable the club can then consider an all-out assault on promotion knowing that success can be consolidated.
Remember that the last time we got in to the Conference it was pride before a really big and extended fall from grace.
petermarkcraig
Site Admin

Re: The future - discuss

Postby Ian Livesey » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:40 am

Though the club were never going to come out and say it, this season was all about consolidation despite what everyone else was saying about going up. We'll be positive when there's something to be positive about.

I'm happy with that and I think the majority of Magpies fans would have been too. There's been a lot of success in the past 6 years that I think they were scared that attendances would drop if they weren't doing well, and whilst they have (by around 150-200), we now know the hard core Chorley fans have risen since the era pre-GF.

On the pitch, some shrewd signings and a little clear out wouldn't go a miss in the close season.

Looking forward to the ground being council-owned, anything will be better than the past regime the club have had to put up with in the past. It'll at least open up some avenue's that we haven't been able to go down being Hemmings-owned
Ian Livesey
Site Admin

Postby Paul Brennan » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:47 am

Agree with nearly all of that Ian -despite, or perhaps due to, being super optimistic :wink:

My hope is that the under 18's are the start of much more. They've had a remarkable first season and there is plenty to build on. Getting more young players involved would be fantastic for CFC and the people of Chorley and district -plus it generates income for the club (parents/friends watching and spending etc).

The pitch definitely needs a major overhaul-and as with everything, won't come cheap. So we need all the help we can get, and the change of ground ownership (fingers crossed, still) should open up much more opportunities to apply for grant cash.

If we make half the progress we have made since 2010 in the next 5 years it will a considerable achievement-any more,and we can really celebrate. Final point-please join/re-join the Trust -together we are stronger! COYM!
Paul Brennan

Postby Tempie » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:34 pm

I think the key is clarity from the club. What is there money for and what isn't there money for? Yes the pitch is a mess but there's no point spending on it if we can't employ someone for long enough to look after it. If we haven't got money for the 1st team then there is little point in the u18s because let's face it probability of them coming into the 1st team is slim. Could we not work alongside a league club and get priority on their young players available for loan. For example Accrington, the young lad on loan at skem would have been I good addition to our squad. Matt Jansen say after every game that he wants to strengthan and improve the playing staff but apart from bond who has he managed to get?? (Not loans) is that his fault or is there no money? I think his signings have been terrible but it might not be his fault if we can't afford to pay small fees and decent wages.
Tempie

Postby Charlie Magpie » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:47 pm

The future......... should it be 3G?

I notice our league counterparts, Tamworth, are to have a new 3G pitch as part of a major project.

From the Tamworth Herald;

TAMWORTH FC chairman Bob Andrews has spoken of his excitement after announcing a major new scheme to start redevelopment of The Lamb.

The club's plans, after consultation with the council, 18 months of research and the endorsement of manager Andy Morrell, will include a state-of-the-art Football Turf 3G pitch in time for the 2016-17 campaign.

Tamworth's directors say the new pitch will help sustain the club financially and allow The Lamb ground to host significantly more football each year.

In addition to the first team, more academy action will be staged at The Lamb.

The pitch will also be available for use by a wider audience as part of the Lambs' continuing effort to engage in the community.

Chairman Andrews says the move will also lead to further regeneration of the ground as the club look to up the level of facilities at The Lamb.

"We are very excited to announce the commencement of the redevelopment of The Lamb," Mr Andrews said.

"This is something that we have spoken about for some time and we feel that it only possible through Football Turf 3G at the club.

"We have been in a position for a number of years, off the field, where we have felt we need to make a change to enable the club to establish itself at the highest possible position. Football Turf 3G will be a FIFA Quality Pro pitch, which is the highest standard available."

The Lambs directors, as well as management and playing staff, have been visiting facilities and watching games on Football Turf 3G to gain an understanding of how far the surfaces have come in the last few years.

Check out the Tamworth Herald for the full article.
Charlie Magpie

Postby magpie1875 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:14 pm

For me we should go for it especially now the Council are taking over ownership of VP.

Grass is great, but unless you have a big budget it's almost impossible to keep a pitch in a state fit for the number of games required these days. The new artificial surfaces that are now being laid are better than most grass pitches will ever be and make PNE's old carpet look like sandpaper (literally).

> No more costs for training facilities elsewhere
    > No more costs for pitches for under 18's elsewhere (or under 21's or reserves is we have these sides in the future)
    > The chances of postponements due to the weather will be almost illuminated, so no lost expenses on beer/pies/programmes etc
    > Income from hiring the pitch out during the week

And now the Conference Premier and the FA knock-out competitions accept them it's a no brainer for me.
magpie1875

Postby Jeff » Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:54 pm

magpie1875 wrote: > The chances of postponements due to the weather will be almost illuminated, so no lost expenses on beer/pies/programmes etc

Do the floodlights come free with a 3G pitch. :D
Jeff

Postby kingstonrichard » Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:32 pm

Is there any reason for people to assume the council deal is going to be amazing? I know it's already good in the sense that Chorley seemed to be assured of a ground indefinitely when I believe they were living season to season. But have there been any discussions that suggest it will be much better than that?

I imagine councils these days are very restricted by central government on what they can spend money on, in the same way they had to offer council houses for sale and perhaps ownership of the ground means they are required by law to make money out of it, either charging rent or some other revenue scheme?

Re 3g pitches. Sutton United got a 3g pitch with a £500,000 loan payable over 5 years at the start of this season. There was gossip going around that they had already made that back after one season. I find that a bit hard to believe as that would put it at £1,500 a day but whatever the truth it seems like it is going very well for them. Not sure what Chorley's potential is as there's obviously a premium on land in London and playing field space is in short supply. But again the question would be is that something the council would own and make revenue from or would they be legally allowed to let Chorley pay for the pitch and get revenues from it as long as they could justify some community benefit.
kingstonrichard

Postby Gobsmacked » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:13 pm

Currently, Chorley is controlled by a Blairite Labour council whose vision has even managed to impress a cynic like me.

However, we do live in a system where government can be changed at the whim of the sheeple. It might look good at the moment while the town is being run by a bunch of yuppies with their Colgate smiles, but it is only about five years ago since the Conservatives were in power in Chorley. What happens when the ground is owned by a council controlled by a bunch of swivel-eyed loons who would sell anything and everything to please their posh masters in Westminster?

Better the Devil you know.
Gobsmacked

Postby Tommy Whizbang » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:21 pm

Maybe they could supply us a decent Left winger?
Tommy Whizbang

Postby Ian Livesey » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:17 pm

Gobsmacked wrote:Currently, Chorley is controlled by a Blairite Labour council whose vision has even managed to impress a cynic like me.

However, we do live in a system where government can be changed at the whim of the sheeple. It might look good at the moment while the town is being run by a bunch of yuppies with their Colgate smiles, but it is only about five years ago since the Conservatives were in power in Chorley. What happens when the ground is owned by a council controlled by a bunch of swivel-eyed loons who would sell anything and everything to please their posh masters in Westminster?

Better the Devil you know.

The Tories get into power in Chorley, Then we might have to close like the A&E and move to Preston
Ian Livesey
Site Admin

Postby Jeff » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:37 pm

I thought this was a football forum not let's all have a swipe at the Conservative party.
Jeff

Postby Two4joy » Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:26 pm

Vote Leave !
Oh wait...Sorry wrong forum. :wink:

:twisted:
Two4joy

Postby Ian Livesey » Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:43 pm

Jeff wrote:I thought this was a football forum not let's all have a swipe at the Conservative party.

Can be anything this forum, because it certainly isn't just football we talk about.
Ian Livesey
Site Admin

Postby Jue » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:31 am

I've just had a look at the National South table.

Basingstoke and Havent & Waterlooville both finished 3rd and 5th last season which earned them a play off spot. Basingstoke lost against Whitehawk (They're currently in 8th this season) 2-1 in the semi's. Havant & Waterlooville lost in the semi final against Boreham Wood over 2 legs. Both now sit 22nd and 21st in this seasons standings and look set to being relegated a year after making the play-offs. Boreham Wood of course won the final and sit just one place above the drop zone in non-leagues top flight whilst being level on points with Halifax.

I think what point I'm trying to get across is that we could be in a worse position after just missing out on promotion last term. I see this as history repeating itself. We'll finish 8th this year, win the league next year. :mrgreen:
Jue

Postby Ian Livesey » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:55 am

Jue wrote:
I think what point I'm trying to get across is that we could be in a worse position after just missing out on promotion last term. I see this as history repeating itself. We'll finish 8th this year, win the league next year. :mrgreen:

After we joined, a couple of friends in my non-league circle mentioned to me this "Second season syndrome", where teams who have come up have a great first season but then don't do so well the following season. This season it seems to have affected Lowestoft, but not us or AFC Fylde. So my point is, it's a load of b*****ks
Ian Livesey
Site Admin

Postby nonleaguemad » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:43 pm

Can't believe Hyde are ripping up there grass for 3G it was one of the best in lower levels football.
nonleaguemad

Postby petermarkcraig » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:21 pm

nonleaguemad wrote:Can't believe Hyde are ripping up there grass for 3G it was one of the best in lower levels football.

Sadly it seems almost inevitable that Victory Park will likely be Victory Astropark soon. I keep meaning to post my utter abhorrence of artificial "turf" regardless of it's money making potential but I just get so worked up that I can't type the words. It really saddens me that anyone that truly loves amateur football really thinks that plastic pitches are the way forward. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
petermarkcraig
Site Admin

Postby Ryan » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:49 pm

petermarkcraig wrote:
nonleaguemad wrote:Can't believe Hyde are ripping up there grass for 3G it was one of the best in lower levels football.

Sadly it seems almost inevitable that Victory Park will likely be Victory Astropark soon:

There is absolutely nothing at all to suggest an artificial surface at VP is even a remote possibility, let alone it being an inevitability.
Ryan

Postby petermarkcraig » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:24 pm

Ryan wrote:
petermarkcraig wrote:

Sadly it seems almost inevitable that Victory Park will likely be Victory Astropark soon:

There is absolutely nothing at all to suggest an artificial surface at VP is even a remote possibility, let alone it being an inevitability.

It seems to be the way of the world once councils take ownership of grounds. Revenue generation is the name of their game in my experience. I sincerely hope you are right Ryan but I have my doubts.
petermarkcraig
Site Admin

Postby Tempie » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:57 pm

Last summer we spent thousands on the pitch and now it is every bit as bad as it was last year. That money could have gone into the playing squad budget, we clearly can't afford to employ a groundsman for the nessescary amount of time. So if the council want to buy us a 3G pitch, they've got my backing!!!!!
Tempie

Postby Ian Livesey » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:06 pm

Got mine aswell. 3G/4G are now a lot better than the astroturf we played on at PNE. Zero maintenance, money making and means game on when most will be frozen off. It's a no-brainer if it comes to that.
Ian Livesey
Site Admin

Postby petermarkcraig » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:35 am

Ian Livesey wrote:Got mine aswell. 3G/4G are now a lot better than the astroturf we played on at PNE. Zero maintenance, money making and means game on when most will be frozen off. It's a no-brainer if it comes to that.

Zero maintenance!!!!

http://www.prestigesportspitches.co.uk/ ... l-pitches/
petermarkcraig
Site Admin

Postby petermarkcraig » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:47 am

A decent groundsman could maintain a natural pitch and would cost around £30,00 probably. Installation of a 3g pitch would be a minimum of £500,000. Replacement every 10 years. Annual maintenance costs of approximately 5-10 thousand pounds a year. The greater the use the more maintenance and the sooner replacement would be needed.

PLAYERS PREFER A WELL MAINTAINED NATURAL PITCH. FACT

And there is this......

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35585392
petermarkcraig
Site Admin

Postby Tempie » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:49 am

We haven't got 30000 for a groundsman!!
Tempie

Postby mark » Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:12 pm

I am a bit sceptical about some of the claims in that article. For example

"The Football Association says there are 500 3G pitches in England"

I reckon there are a good 200 in Manchester alone.

I am something of a traditionalist when it comes to grass pitches but the economic arguments in favour of a 3G surface are compelling. I suppose the ideal solution, not workable at Victory Park of course, would be to have a setup like Brackley, or the Lancashire FA Headquarters, where there is a 3G pitch and a grass pitch.
mark
Site Admin

Postby Ian Livesey » Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:51 pm

petermarkcraig wrote:A decent groundsman could maintain a natural pitch and would cost around £30,00 probably. Installation of a 3g pitch would be a minimum of £500,000. Replacement every 10 years. Annual maintenance costs of approximately 5-10 thousand pounds a year. The greater the use the more maintenance and the sooner replacement would be needed.

PLAYERS PREFER A WELL MAINTAINED NATURAL PITCH. FACT

And there is this......

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35585392

What's money got to do with it when we wouldn't be paying?

The pro's definitely outweigh the cons
Ian Livesey
Site Admin

Postby Igrapop » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:28 pm

Just took the opportunity to comment on this while I was about.

I wont be voting for plastic grass anytime soon but you can never say never, if finances dictate in future that is the way forwards then you have to bow to reality. Having said that 3G & 4G aren't without problems & I can give you at least 350,000 reasons why it won't be happening anytime soon, even I might not see it brought in.
Igrapop

Postby Ed » Wed May 04, 2016 6:12 pm

Back to the future ...
Leicester did it with team spirit rather than superstars.
Matt has such a team so long as most are retained.
We'll probably find the league tougher than last season. FCUM, Telford and Stockport are teams with knowledge of league and good crowds and should do well. Also Altrincham and Halifax.
Salford, Darlington may find it tougher than they might expect. There are no Rammies next season.

Chorley Top 10. Possibly playoffs.
Ed

Postby man in the stand » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:50 pm

Although there appears to be no official confirmation, it would seem the deal has been done and we now have new landlords.
man in the stand

Next

Return to Chorley FC