FCUM

Talk about the Magpies. Be respectful to others, no swearing, insulting posts or libellous remarks please.

Moderators: Ian Livesey, Pete Rothwell, Moderators

FCUM

Postby petermarkcraig » Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:45 am

No thread for a big game?

Is it good to play them this early?
petermarkcraig
Site Admin

Re: FCUM

Postby Tempie » Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:21 pm

I'm nervous as hell!! I think we've a good side but I just worry we might get outplayed in midfield. im on my own today because the 2 people I come to games with won't come because there is no segregation. They've been watching you tube videos of the 3-3 draw in trophy.
Tempie

Postby Charlie Magpie » Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:27 pm

10 years ago we could only dream of days like today!

No excuses let's all get behind Matt and the team today.

At the recent 'Meet the Manager evening', Matt emphasised the importance of the fans getting behind the team, not only when we are winning but also when things aren't going our way.

Positive encouragement and support will be our 12th man in big games like today!
Charlie Magpie

Postby Tempie » Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:35 pm

It would be nice if we could make some noise today! Or the lads will feel like that are the away team!
Tempie

Postby ste faz » Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:13 pm

O.K. Here's my 2 penneth worth.
We bossed the game. Undone by a sloppy back pass, and (could have been) by a missed penalty. (How many were there in pre-season ?) This one could have cost us, though.
Looking on the bright side...... I for one am happy enough.
And also, no segregation and no trouble. A fine afternoon.
ste faz

Postby Prodigal son » Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:01 pm

Enjoyed the game apart from a bit of poor defending, thought we were easily the better side, Carver and Gonzales were outstanding up front, also a mention for Paul Jarvis who for me has carried on from pre season and a terrific game today. Thought Teaguey was a bit unlucky to get a red, poor refereeing today let the game get a bit feisty when perhaps FC's centre backs could have been carded in first half.
Onwards to Kidderminster, am sure lessons will have been learned, COYM.
Prodigal son

Postby Tempie » Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:55 pm

We were fantastic. The result was a shame and they got very lucky. Set pieces were good too. I'm a very proud chorley fan tonight!
Tempie

Postby corky » Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:28 pm

A fair result and a great atmosphere on a warm summers day. Glad to see there was no segregation or hired in bouncers for this one.
corky

Postby mike1 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:45 pm

Tempie wrote:We were fantastic. The result was a shame and they got very lucky. Set pieces were good too. I'm a very proud chorley fan tonight!

It's not often, Tempie, that I feel you have viewed a match through the proverbial 'rose-tinted' glasses! For me, there were two many mistakes, including one real howler, for it to have really been a 'fantastic' performance. Yes, there were numerous positives but the cock-up from that throw-in was just a joke and a bad one at that. In the first place, the thrower passed up two easy options through dithering and finally left a colleague in possession under needless pressure. I blame the drinks-break to some extent!
As for the first goal, as you say, it was largely luck but I felt Sam might have done better in following the flight. For the free-kick, call me old-fashioned - but why do teams at all levels persist in hoping, with fingers tightly crossed, that the kicker will not find the oceans of space available between the posts to score from twenty yards? It's becoming all too easy and predictable. What was wrong with the ancient system of sticking a full-back on each post to give the keeper added protection? Even if you end up with a packed penalty area, I believe fewer goals would actually result. Discuss, please. As for the skipper's red card, okay it was tough and everyone at that stage was very pumped up - but anyone already on a yellow card must think twice before putting in that sort of challenge.
mike1

Postby Paul Brennan » Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:05 am

Agree with your, as usual, measured analysis Mike-we were largely secure in defence apart from the mistakes but they were extremely costly.As for putting players on the posts, it has risks but at least would give opposing free kick takers some concerns too. They'd need to have inch perfect accuracy or change their routine.Probably won't happen though because when (inevitably) some team scores despite the changes, hindsight will be quick to follow.

It was a great display from the two strikers and the centre backs yesterday -if I have a criticism it would be that both "wing backs" should be trying to act as wingers and not just Jarvo. That would avoid needing to pump long balls up to Sefton all the time.

Another plus: the main stand supporters made much more noise than usual -let's keep that going! COYM
Paul Brennan

Postby Soapbox » Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:28 am

Commanding performance, just not really our day, partly as a result of a really poor referee. What we are short of is a ball playing midfielder who can pick up the ball from the defenders and pick a pass to Gonzalez and Carver, who will be a handful for any defence at this level.
Overall a great improvement on last years performances.
Soapbox

Postby Ed » Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:42 pm

Who scored Chorley's third?
Couldn't tell from melee.
Non league Paper report says Gonzalez; results page and Vanarama website say Leather.
Ed

Postby Prodigal son » Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:01 pm

Janny said it was Stephen Jordan, that also went up on Twitter as a correction. I found it impossible to tell like you, Ed.
Prodigal son

Postby Ian Livesey » Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:50 pm

Honestly thought it was Sefton. But it's a bit difficult sat in the stand with a massive post in the way. But yeh, confirmed it with Marcus Carver that it was Stephen Jordan who scored the third :)
Ian Livesey
Site Admin

Postby mark » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:23 pm

Firstly, on the positive side, some of the new signings looked good. I thought Jordan had an excellent game and was also very impressed with Sefton Gonzales.

However I can't really agree that we were unlucky. Had we scored again in our early period of domination we would surely have won, but conceding three goals to a side as limited as FC United is not a good sign. They will do well to avoid relegation this season based on what I saw yesterday, perhaps not surprisingly given the off field turmoil there. They certainly don't look any stronger than last season.

I think we could do to strengthen central midfield. Some penalty practice is also in order.
mark
Site Admin

Return to Chorley FC