Darlington 4th February

Talk about the Magpies. Be respectful to others, no swearing, insulting posts or libellous remarks please.

Moderators: Ian Livesey, Pete Rothwell, Moderators

Darlington 4th February

Postby Lawsyd » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:39 am

I've seen a Facebook post from the club this morning (as others probably have) suggesting that fans get tickets in advance for the Darlo match. I realise that Darlington are one of the better supported clubs in the division with a very decent (based on how many clubs seem to get improved gates when they are the visitors) away following, but are tickets in advance really needed for this one? Or is it simply a way of the club 'creating a market' & hoping to get a few quid in the tills in advance of Saturday? Fylde I could understand the need for advance tickets, but this one...not so sure.
Lawsyd
 
Posts: 149
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:05 am
Location: Manchester

Re: Darlington 4th February

Postby mike1 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:55 am

Lawsyd wrote:I've seen a Facebook post from the club this morning (as others probably have) suggesting that fans get tickets in advance for the Darlo match. I realise that Darlington are one of the better supported clubs in the division with a very decent (based on how many clubs seem to get improved gates when they are the visitors) away following, but are tickets in advance really needed for this one? Or is it simply a way of the club 'creating a market' & hoping to get a few quid in the tills in advance of Saturday? Fylde I could understand the need for advance tickets, but this one...not so sure.


I think creating a market is important. We need as many fans down at Victory Park as we can get on Saturday for what is the first of two massive home games (Kidderminster are next on the 18th). The club are quite right to generate maximum interest for this one. The ploy worked wonders for Fylde before they played us on Boxing Day - regular updates on ticket sales simply generated more sales and excitement and the rewards for both clubs were obvious when our own 'gate' for the return match easily topped 3,000. You can't have too much publicity!
mike1
 
Posts: 531
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:35 am

Re: Darlington 4th February

Postby Tempie » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:46 pm

Totally agree the marketing is massively important. I still get emails from fylde and I'm sure every football fan who's bought a ticket for them does. Keep going with whatever marketing means are possible.
Tempie
 
Posts: 460
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:18 pm

Re: Darlington 4th February

Postby Prodigal son » Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:16 pm

You can't have too much publicity! Like you Tempie, I get regular updates from Fylde as a result of buying tickets online, let's face it at the end of the day the price is only paid once whether bought in advance or on the day so let's make the most of generating whatever increase in attendance that we can. COYM
Prodigal son
 
Posts: 1192
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:03 pm

Re: Darlington 4th February

Postby Junction 8 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:16 pm

It's the future, I've tasted it.

Gets fans into the shop, every £ spent helps our club.
Most of the clubs round us have cash backers, we are having to dig deep to fund ourselves.
So any new ideas are worth a try, nothing ventured nothing gained.

Next season could the club shop sell a retro shirt from the 70's or earlier.
Junction 8
 
Posts: 510
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:15 am
Location: Great Knowley

Re: Darlington 4th February

Postby Paul Brennan » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:07 pm

Junction 8 wrote:
Next season could the club shop sell a retro shirt from the 70's or earlier.


Good call -I'd buy one :)

As for Saturday, let's make some noise! We'll try to get the main stand going
Paul Brennan
 
Posts: 1057
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:37 am
Location: Chorley

Re: Darlington 4th February

Postby ste faz » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:47 pm

[quote="Paul Brennan"][quote="Junction 8"]

Next season could the club shop sell a retro shirt from the 70's or earlier

Please let it be the pin-stripe one. Best shirt the club have had.
ste faz
 
Posts: 126
Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:27 pm

Re: Darlington 4th February

Postby reco » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:19 pm

A bit of reading ahead of tomorrow's game. Scott Leather believes we can make the playoffs with this month being a tricky month.
http://nonleague.pitchero.com/news/scot ... ace-52999/
reco
 
Posts: 2337
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:20 pm
Location: Stoke on Trent

Re: Darlington 4th February

Postby Ian Livesey » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:36 pm

Both teams deserved a share of the spoils today. A win for either side would've left the other hard done by.
Ian Livesey
Site Admin
 
Posts: 5928
Joined: Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:30 am
Location: In the Press Box

Re: Darlington 4th February

Postby Charlie Magpie » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:04 pm

I agree with you ,Ian, for most of the game both teams were well-matched and had their opportunities to score a second goal.

Ritchie Branagan deserved his man-of-the-match award with three or four super saves to deny the Darlington forwards. He seems to be growing in confidence with every game. Teaguey was dominant in defence and midfield, and seemed to enjoy the occasional surge into the opponent's penalty box.

Close as it was, I thought Chorley were the most likely to score in the last 20 minutes with some fine passing play, but the final ball into the box or into space in front of goal never seems to find a Chorley player.

The corner routines seem predictable and haven't really produced much in the way of goals. I would like to see the ball played into space with players running onto the ball.
Last edited by Charlie Magpie on Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charlie Magpie
 
Posts: 811
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:33 am
Location: Chorley

Re: Darlington 4th February

Postby Ian Livesey » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:27 pm

I mentioned on here during the Halifax game about our corner routines. They're just not producing now and would like to see more of the corner we scored from against Altrincham. Get it onto someone's head (with the right strength of delivery) and there's always a chance.
Ian Livesey
Site Admin
 
Posts: 5928
Joined: Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:30 am
Location: In the Press Box

Re: Darlington 4th February

Postby Charlie Magpie » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:39 pm

Ian Livesey wrote:I mentioned on here during the Halifax game about our corner routines. They're just not producing now and would like to see more of the corner we scored from against Altrincham. Get it onto someone's head (with the right strength of delivery) and there's always a chance.


The goal from the corner against Altrincham was scored by Jack Sampson who had only just joined the club and probably didn't know our corner routines!
Charlie Magpie
 
Posts: 811
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:33 am
Location: Chorley

Re: Darlington 4th February

Postby Ian Livesey » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:03 pm

But it was a "normal" corner, swung into the 6 yard box and found a head. Just the way I like them :) Up 'til then, can you tell me the last time we scored from a corner?
Ian Livesey
Site Admin
 
Posts: 5928
Joined: Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:30 am
Location: In the Press Box

Re: Darlington 4th February

Postby Tempie » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:15 pm

Totally agree Ian. It just seems bonkers to me. We have 3 centre backs, Sampson, carver and whitham (if he doesn't take the corner) all good in the air. The corners look 'over coached to me'. Line the big lads up near the penalty spot, swing the ball in and let them attack it. I know it worked against alty but why does Sampson stand infront of the keeper? Blocking the keeper has always been a job for a smaller player who's less threatening attacking the ball.
Tempie
 
Posts: 460
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:18 pm

Re: Darlington 4th February

Postby mike1 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:57 pm

Tempie wrote:Totally agree Ian. It just seems bonkers to me. We have 3 centre backs, Sampson, carver and whitham (if he doesn't take the corner) all good in the air. The corners look 'over coached to me'. Line the big lads up near the penalty spot, swing the ball in and let them attack it. I know it worked against alty but why does Sampson stand infront of the keeper? Blocking the keeper has always been a job for a smaller player who's less threatening attacking the ball.


I think there is still room for the occasional pull-back from a corner - but only if someone like Adam Roscoe is on the field who can really put his foot through the ball and shoot! I'd also like to see the corner to the near post reintroduced with a big man stationed there to get in a headed flick-on. And what about those cheeky ones that Molly introduced where someone nips discreetly over to the corner flag and just rolls the ball into play, allowing another player to dribble the ball along the touchline!! I remember one referee pulling the player up for 'ungentlemanly conduct'! Priceless stuff. Great game by the way yesterday.
mike1
 
Posts: 531
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:35 am

Re: Darlington 4th February

Postby mike1 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:01 pm

Full highlights of the game available on the Darlington website. Well-balanced, informed commentary too.
mike1
 
Posts: 531
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:35 am

Re: Darlington 4th February

Postby Lawsyd » Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:07 pm

What I can't understand is why there were less than 1400 there. I know that I started this thread by asking if tickets were really necessary in advance of the match. Nevertheless, with the two teams in play-off places; with City & United not playing until Sunday; with the likes of Bolton & Preston playing away; with Darlo having a decent away following, I expected 2000+ in the ground. Can anybody please explain why the match attracted such a relatively attendance?
Lawsyd
 
Posts: 149
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:05 am
Location: Manchester

Re: Darlington 4th February

Postby mike1 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:45 pm

Lawsyd wrote:What I can't understand is why there were less than 1400 there. I know that I started this thread by asking if tickets were really necessary in advance of the match. Nevertheless, with the two teams in play-off places; with City & United not playing until Sunday; with the likes of Bolton & Preston playing away; with Darlo having a decent away following, I expected 2000+ in the ground. Can anybody please explain why the match attracted such a relatively attendance?


My guess is that the Darlington following was not as large as expected. I too thought we might have hit the 2,000 mark with several hundred coming down from Darlington - but that didn't happen. Although the visiting supporters made themselves heard, I doubt if they brought more than 100 - 120 at the very most. Maybe fewer travelled down after the defeat by Curzon last week and a poor January overall. They certainly took hundreds to Harrogate over Christmas. But you're right - local support could have been better on a decent afternoon weather-wise.
mike1
 
Posts: 531
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:35 am

Re: Darlington 4th February

Postby toploader999 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:36 am

mike1 wrote:
Tempie wrote:Totally agree Ian. It just seems bonkers to me. We have 3 centre backs, Sampson, carver and whitham (if he doesn't take the corner) all good in the air. The corners look 'over coached to me'. Line the big lads up near the penalty spot, swing the ball in and let them attack it. I know it worked against alty but why does Sampson stand infront of the keeper? Blocking the keeper has always been a job for a smaller player who's less threatening attacking the ball.


I think there is still room for the occasional pull-back from a corner - but only if someone like Adam Roscoe is on the field who can really put his foot through the ball and shoot! I'd also like to see the corner to the near post reintroduced with a big man stationed there to get in a headed flick-on. And what about those cheeky ones that Molly introduced where someone nips discreetly over to the corner flag and just rolls the ball into play, allowing another player to dribble the ball along the touchline!! I remember one referee pulling the player up for 'ungentlemanly conduct'! Priceless stuff. Great game by the way yesterday.



With regards to the cheeky corners. I think the FA may have banned the cheeky corner routine. I did this with grassroots football up to U18s and it got banned and classed as un gentlemanly conduct.
toploader999
 
Posts: 288
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:50 pm
Location: bbb

Re: Darlington 4th February

Postby Ian Livesey » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:50 am

Oh good, so we'll never ever see them really short corners that teams take when they're 2-1 up with a minute to go
Ian Livesey
Site Admin
 
Posts: 5928
Joined: Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:30 am
Location: In the Press Box

Re: Darlington 4th February

Postby extech » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:57 am

The cheeky corner is allowed in the rules!
extech
 
Posts: 217
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:01 pm

Re: Darlington 4th February

Postby Tempie » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:57 am

What's the odds of refs in our league knowing the rules or enforcing them correctly. Just swing the bl**dy thing in and let the centre backs head it in. Big few games coming up if ever we needed to find some goals its now.
Tempie
 
Posts: 460
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:18 pm

Re: Darlington 4th February

Postby Soapbox » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:35 pm

Why don't we get Denton from Halifax and the centre forward from Darlington, get 4 big and strong runners in midfield, kick it as high and as long as we can and then chase it.
Soapbox
 
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:33 pm

Re: Darlington 4th February

Postby Tempie » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:49 pm

Isn't that what we do now? Or am I missing something!? Lol
Tempie
 
Posts: 460
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:18 pm


Return to Chorley FC

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests