Stalybridge

Talk about the Magpies. Be respectful to others, no swearing, insulting posts or libellous remarks please.

Moderators: Ian Livesey, Pete Rothwell, Moderators

Stalybridge

Postby mike1 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:32 pm

This fixture on Monday could be really pivotal to our play-offs chances - depending to some extent on how Stalybridge fare tomorrow at home to Kidderminster and then away on Saturday. If they still have any sort of chance of avoiding the drop, we can expect a battle on what Dave Challinor described as a 'horrific' pitch. No fancy football on there, then. From pictures it resembled a beach rather than a grassed area, such were the amounts of sand in its texture. Perhaps we won't be too inconvenienced. Challinor referred to Staly as being very direct and we can play that way too. He added that 'football ability counted for nothing' on that surface. A bunch or two of sour grapes there perhaps - but obviously a valid point to some extent.
mike1
 
Posts: 526
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:35 am

Re: Stalybridge

Postby Ian Livesey » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:52 pm

Final score tonight : Stalybridge 1 Kidderminster 0
Pretty much hands the title to Fylde, and opens the door again for a Stalybridge great escape.

What do we reckon? Think MJ should take the team to Blackpool and train on the beach this week
Ian Livesey
Site Admin
 
Posts: 5914
Joined: Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:30 am
Location: In the Press Box

Stalybridge - what's going on?

Postby Ed » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:56 pm

Stalyb 2 - 1 Fylde
Stalybridge 1-0 Kidderminster

Best results of their season this week.
CFC next week.
Ed
 
Posts: 1641
Joined: Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:51 am

Re: Stalybridge - what's going on?

Postby Ian Livesey » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:54 pm

Ed wrote:Stalyb 2 - 1 Fylde
Stalybridge 1-0 Kidderminster

Best results of their season this week.
CFC next week.


One of the form teams at the moment.
Ian Livesey
Site Admin
 
Posts: 5914
Joined: Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:30 am
Location: In the Press Box

Re: Stalybridge

Postby Tempie » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:50 am

Reports suggesting that Darlington aren't allowed in the playoffs might help us
Tempie
 
Posts: 451
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:18 pm

Re: Stalybridge

Postby Junction 8 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:07 am

One game at a time
Lets get Friday out of way first.

COYM
Junction 8
 
Posts: 509
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:15 am
Location: Great Knowley

Re: Stalybridge

Postby charnock1 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:18 am

Interesting Temple - what reports are these
charnock1
 
Posts: 286
Joined: Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:03 pm

Re: Stalybridge

Postby Ian Livesey » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:28 am

charnock1 wrote:Interesting Temple - what reports are these


Ground not enough to compete in the playoffs so could be denied a playoff place. They're in talks with the league but no confirmation either way as yet.

http://darlingtonfootballclub.co.uk/clu ... l-meadows/
Ian Livesey
Site Admin
 
Posts: 5914
Joined: Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:30 am
Location: In the Press Box

Re: Stalybridge

Postby Two4joy » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:10 am

£ylde & Kiddy are teams that like to play "football" & by all accounts both had to resort to "hoofball" to cut out 2/3 rds of the pitch..Something they not accustomed too in their style of play...thus getting caught on the break..unlike us, who due to our own standard of pitch, have had on occasion, had to resort to such tactics & are more wise at the back to it's pitfalls.
Plus..three games in seven days..two on a heavy pitch with a long trip to Gloucester in between will take some toll on even the fittest of players.
Don't expect it to be pretty to watch, but it's the result that counts !!
Small point of Worcester to account for first though !

COYM !!
Two4joy
 
Posts: 351
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:58 pm
Location: Horwich

Re: Stalybridge

Postby Ian Livesey » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:49 am

Ian Livesey wrote:
charnock1 wrote:Interesting Temple - what reports are these


Ground not enough to compete in the playoffs so could be denied a playoff place. They're in talks with the league but no confirmation either way as yet.

http://darlingtonfootballclub.co.uk/clu ... l-meadows/


http://darlingtonfootballclub.co.uk/sta ... play-offs/

Now not allowed to play in the playoffs should they claim a place in the top 5 (subject to appeal)
Ian Livesey
Site Admin
 
Posts: 5914
Joined: Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:30 am
Location: In the Press Box

Re: Stalybridge

Postby Prodigal son » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:21 pm

Excellent team performance today, in spite of injuries to Charnock and Jordan we switch to a back four and the lads were great, in came Waqas and gave an assured performance playing wide right, replaced by O'Keefe for last 15 minutes and he did well too. Special mention foe Teaguey who was magnificent today and took his goal brilliantly, was a great atmosphere behind the goals today and the players certainly seemed to appreciate the fans backing. Another win needed now, let's hope it's next Saturday so we can enjoy the Halifax game without pressure. COYM
Prodigal son
 
Posts: 1182
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:03 pm

Re: Stalybridge

Postby mike1 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:22 pm

Well, the Magpies did what Fylde and Kiddy couldn't do! The pitch was less 'horrific' than expected and - dare I say it? - even a little bit better than Victory Park on Friday. Typical end-of-season fare, not too much quality but who cares? Another win, another clean-sheet and another superb Teaguey header! The skipper was immense today and didn't miss a header or (so it seemed) a clearance, man-of-the-match by some considerable distance. Injury to Ritchie Branagan a concern. Had to make one decent save under handicap but made it. Great team spirit always evident. The best defence in the league looked just that for most of the match. Life would be so much easier if we could just get a second goal - Marcus denied that only by a brilliant save. Terrific vocal support from fans behind the goal.
mike1
 
Posts: 526
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:35 am

Re: Stalybridge

Postby Junction 8 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:34 pm

top performance from all the team no exceptions. good to see waqas have a run out.
3 more points
good vocal away following
tough game coming up at gloucester, i'll take a point now.
we owe halifax after a couple of dubious drcisions or three at there place
Junction 8
 
Posts: 509
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:15 am
Location: Great Knowley

Re: Stalybridge

Postby man in the stand » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:57 pm

Some of the comments from todays hosts not very complimentary.

http://www.stalybridgeceltic.co.uk/foru ... chorley-1/
man in the stand
 
Posts: 282
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:22 pm
Location: Peoples Republic of Chorley

Re: Stalybridge

Postby Junction 8 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:20 pm

''This game had more in common with Rugby League that football today.
I've not seen such a physical, synical and NON footballing team since North Ferreby.
I think I know how Chorley are in the playoffs and it's got nothing to do with playing football.It's got more to do with stopping football being played and scoring goals from set pieces.
What a horrible way to watch the nails being hammered into our coffin this season.
I wish the other three teams involved in the playoffs the best of luck against these Cloggers''


EVEYBODY HATES US AND WE DONT CARE..

Come on Chorley.. They dont like it up'em
Junction 8
 
Posts: 509
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:15 am
Location: Great Knowley

Re: Stalybridge

Postby Prodigal son » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:10 pm

It is odd because I also thought the Ref was poor, he gave us nothing, yet their fans are complaining about him being useless. We are a strong physical side and there is nothing wrong with that but we gave some quality too, still just lack the killer instinct in front of goal.
Prodigal son
 
Posts: 1182
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:03 pm

Re: Stalybridge

Postby Ian R » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:15 pm

man in the stand wrote:Some of the comments from todays hosts not very complimentary.

http://www.stalybridgeceltic.co.uk/foru ... chorley-1/


Enjoy the Evo-stik with your cheese and onion pie lunches,bitter people.COYM
Ian R
 
Posts: 426
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:55 pm
Location: Euxton

Re: Stalybridge

Postby Tempie » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:12 am

Yes it's bitter and yes it's sour grapes. But it's true in my opinion. I can't remember watching a season with so little excitement. And a season with so many groans and moans from a home crowd (so it's not just me). It's not a critisism of the players because they are good players and have played well but the system and personnel picked make every game scrappy and horrible to watch. Matt Jansen said he wanted to play football and build a team around players like Tom field. He needs to go into politics!

I hope we go on to win the playoffs, I fear we will need to or season tickets sales will suffer.
Tempie
 
Posts: 451
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:18 pm

Re: Stalybridge

Postby mike1 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:30 am

Tempie wrote:Yes it's bitter and yes it's sour grapes. But it's true in my opinion. I can't remember watching a season with so little excitement. And a season with so many groans and moans from a home crowd (so it's not just me). It's not a critisism of the players because they are good players and have played well but the system and personnel picked make every game scrappy and horrible to watch. Matt Jansen said he wanted to play football and build a team around players like Tom field. He needs to go into politics!

I hope we go on to win the playoffs, I fear we will need to or season tickets sales will suffer.


Interesting and fearless post, Tempie, as always. I have to agree that we have not been exciting to watch in many games this season - we were saying the same in the car on the way home yesterday. BUT - and it's a very big BUT - I would rather be following a winning team than one which plays pretty football but finishes nowhere - or even worse is striving to avoid relegation. I couldn't help feeling sorry yesterday for Stalybridge, a club in sad decline, with no atmosphere and tired facilities compared to former (glory) days. Heaven forbid that we should find ourselves similarly placed. The primary aim at the start of the season was to achieve stability and be competitive in what looked a scarily difficult league.That has thankfully been achieved - with a lot to spare. I honestly don't believe that season ticket sales will suffer unless Matt can wave the proverbial 'magic wand' and import some class players; it's the league table which primarily determines the size of a club's following week in week out. That's one reason why I don't want us to go up. Playing in the lower reaches of the National League Premier would in the long run,in my opinion, lead to 'gates' smaller than those we attract now. Financially we could easily crash and burn too. I don't accept that the team are a bunch of 'Cloggers'; strong, direct, no-nonsense, yes. With the limited resources available to them, Matt and his staff have done a wonderful job to put us where we are and they are rightly respected throughout the league. We are right up there with the money-men and that's no mean feat. If we make the play-offs, who do fans think we'd be better playing in the semi? I don't fancy Halifax twice. I think we have Kiddy's measure. Of course, if we do reach the final, I'd prefer us not to win it! :)
mike1
 
Posts: 526
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:35 am

Re: Stalybridge

Postby Prodigal son » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:55 pm

Have to agree Mike, don't fancy Halifax twice but think we can handle Kiddie. I am a bit mixed on the promotion issue, never want to not achieve but a bit fearful of the consequences of going up. :D :D
Prodigal son
 
Posts: 1182
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:03 pm

Re: Stalybridge

Postby Tempie » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:08 pm

Thanks Mike. I see things a little differently. I want us to go up because I want the club to keep progressing. Surely we have to aim to be like Macclesfield, barrow even altrincham see themselves as a conference premier side. We are nowhere near as small a club as some fans seem to think. Our attendances are better than most in our league and quite a lot from the league above. We've been a sleeping giant of non league football for years and years. If we go up we will get extra revenue from TV money, sponsorship and bigger gates as a result of playing bigger clubs.

For me Matt has achieved parr this season. If we go up then of course that changes. I find it very difficult to believe that we have the 4th lowest budget in the league (as Matt says). For 2 reasons. One- our attendances are excellent and frankly I can't really see where else large amounts of money are being spent except the playing squad. Two- 3 quarters of the playing squad is made up of players who where playing at, at least national league premier level last season, I don't believe they've all taken big pay cuts to join us. Matt loves telling everyone that'll listen that we are punching above our weight. Of course he will because he wants to manage Blackburn and wants everyone to see what a great job he is doing. I just don't buy into it. It's only my opinion and of course I don't have facts to back it up.

I'd be interested to see how well the early bird season ticket offer went? I fear that unless we go up season ticket sales will fall for next season based on people not wanting to watch the type of football we've been playing this year. I for one haven't chosen to buy my ticket early. I didn't go to stalybridge or Nuneaton because I'd rather not spend the money on watching head tennis And I love going to away games no matter how far I have to travel.

I hope we go up and we will all be happy ( except Mike) and we can have a good drink at an end of season doo!!!
Tempie
 
Posts: 451
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:18 pm

Re: Stalybridge

Postby Lawsyd » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:31 pm

Some interesting points on both sides of the debate. One thing is certain, though, whichever division we are in next season and whatever style of football we play I'll be there as will (I assume) everybody else on this forum. As a side issue, it would be nice to have a decent FA Cup (1st Round Proper at least) please.
Lawsyd
 
Posts: 149
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:05 am
Location: Manchester

Re: Stalybridge

Postby Ian Livesey » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:55 pm

I can't imagine attendances will suffer if we went up and struggled. North Ferriby's and Solihull's average attendances have increased this season compared to last season. Ferriby's have increased 23% and Solihull's 34%. You could argue the fact that away teams are bigger in the league above, but still an increase. Even Guiseley's is up 8% on last season and this is their second season. I still think we could hold our own in the league above, but it's a question of if we're all ready to go up....?
Ian Livesey
Site Admin
 
Posts: 5914
Joined: Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:30 am
Location: In the Press Box

Re: Stalybridge

Postby Ian Livesey » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:56 pm

Lawsyd wrote:As a side issue, it would be nice to have a decent FA Cup (1st Round Proper at least) please.


Agreed, it's about time
Ian Livesey
Site Admin
 
Posts: 5914
Joined: Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:30 am
Location: In the Press Box

Re: Stalybridge

Postby magpie1875 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:02 pm

Tempie wrote:Thanks Mike. I see things a little differently. I want us to go up because I want the club to keep progressing. Surely we have to aim to be like Macclesfield, barrow even altrincham see themselves as a conference premier side. We are nowhere near as small a club as some fans seem to think. Our attendances are better than most in our league and quite a lot from the league above. We've been a sleeping giant of non league football for years and years. If we go up we will get extra revenue from TV money, sponsorship and bigger gates as a result of playing bigger clubs.

For me Matt has achieved parr this season. If we go up then of course that changes. I find it very difficult to believe that we have the 4th lowest budget in the league (as Matt says). For 2 reasons. One- our attendances are excellent and frankly I can't really see where else large amounts of money are being spent except the playing squad. Two- 3 quarters of the playing squad is made up of players who where playing at, at least national league premier level last season, I don't believe they've all taken big pay cuts to join us. Matt loves telling everyone that'll listen that we are punching above our weight. Of course he will because he wants to manage Blackburn and wants everyone to see what a great job he is doing. I just don't buy into it. It's only my opinion and of course I don't have facts to back it up.

I'd be interested to see how well the early bird season ticket offer went? I fear that unless we go up season ticket sales will fall for next season based on people not wanting to watch the type of football we've been playing this year. I for one haven't chosen to buy my ticket early. I didn't go to stalybridge or Nuneaton because I'd rather not spend the money on watching head tennis And I love going to away games no matter how far I have to travel.

I hope we go up and we will all be happy ( except Mike) and we can have a good drink at an end of season doo!!!


I honestly don't understand why you bother watching Chorley. Moaning about how your team win is ridiculous. I for one want to watch my team winning games. I don't care how we win (so long as they're not cheating/breaking rules) as long as we win. We have league tables for a reason, football is competitive and is all about winning.

I've watched us under previous managers who achieved nothing other than mid-table meritocracy at best; watching a tippy-tappy team fighting a relegation battle is not entertaining, if you want to be entertained then go to the cinema or theatre or just stay at home and watch TV!
magpie1875
 
Posts: 108
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:43 pm

Re: Stalybridge

Postby Ian Livesey » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:00 pm

magpie1875 wrote:
Tempie wrote:Thanks Mike. I see things a little differently. I want us to go up because I want the club to keep progressing. Surely we have to aim to be like Macclesfield, barrow even altrincham see themselves as a conference premier side. We are nowhere near as small a club as some fans seem to think. Our attendances are better than most in our league and quite a lot from the league above. We've been a sleeping giant of non league football for years and years. If we go up we will get extra revenue from TV money, sponsorship and bigger gates as a result of playing bigger clubs.

For me Matt has achieved parr this season. If we go up then of course that changes. I find it very difficult to believe that we have the 4th lowest budget in the league (as Matt says). For 2 reasons. One- our attendances are excellent and frankly I can't really see where else large amounts of money are being spent except the playing squad. Two- 3 quarters of the playing squad is made up of players who where playing at, at least national league premier level last season, I don't believe they've all taken big pay cuts to join us. Matt loves telling everyone that'll listen that we are punching above our weight. Of course he will because he wants to manage Blackburn and wants everyone to see what a great job he is doing. I just don't buy into it. It's only my opinion and of course I don't have facts to back it up.

I'd be interested to see how well the early bird season ticket offer went? I fear that unless we go up season ticket sales will fall for next season based on people not wanting to watch the type of football we've been playing this year. I for one haven't chosen to buy my ticket early. I didn't go to stalybridge or Nuneaton because I'd rather not spend the money on watching head tennis And I love going to away games no matter how far I have to travel.

I hope we go up and we will all be happy ( except Mike) and we can have a good drink at an end of season doo!!!


I honestly don't understand why you bother watching Chorley. Moaning about how your team win is ridiculous. I for one want to watch my team winning games. I don't care how we win (so long as they're not cheating/breaking rules) as long as we win. We have league tables for a reason, football is competitive and is all about winning.

I've watched us under previous managers who achieved nothing other than mid-table meritocracy at best; watching a tippy-tappy team fighting a relegation battle is not entertaining, if you want to be entertained then go to the cinema or theatre or just stay at home and watch TV!


Don't worry Tempie, I value your support, even if magpies1875 doesn't. Think he's living in 1875 to be honest
Ian Livesey
Site Admin
 
Posts: 5914
Joined: Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:30 am
Location: In the Press Box

Re: Stalybridge

Postby Tempie » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:07 pm

Haha cheers Ian God forbid anyone moans about Matts team. I'll be getting told off in his next interview lol. For the record magpie1875 Matt hasn't achieved anything YET apart from a lancs cup win. Exited both cups early in each of his 2 seasons and 3 of the 4 losses were against lower league opposition. As ive said I hope that changes very soon.
Tempie
 
Posts: 451
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:18 pm

Re: Stalybridge

Postby toploader999 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:38 pm

could be halifax 3 times as play offs are home and away
toploader999
 
Posts: 288
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:50 pm
Location: bbb

Re: Stalybridge

Postby Jue » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:58 pm

Got to agree with Tempie. The last two wins have been anything but enjoyable to watch. Yes we're happy with the wins, only a mad man wouldn't, but it'd be nice to enjoy the football on display too.

On a completely unrelated side note, if you have Facebook then please join the Chorley FC Supporters group where no one hides behind a pseudonym.
Jue
 
Posts: 2824
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:35 am
Location: Chorley

Re: Stalybridge

Postby mike1 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:01 pm

[quote="Tempie"] For the record magpie1875 Matt hasn't achieved anything YET apart from a lancs cup win.

A bit harsh there, Tempie! If you take 'achieve' to mean 'win', fair enough - but for most of us our finishing position this season in NLN, wherever it might be, will be an achievement. Wouldn't you agree?
mike1
 
Posts: 526
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:35 am

Next

Return to Chorley FC

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests