Play Off Final

Talk about the Magpies. Be respectful to others, no swearing, insulting posts or libellous remarks please.

Moderators: Ian Livesey, Pete Rothwell, Moderators

Play Off Final

Postby Paul Brennan » Sun May 14, 2017 1:19 pm

Most has been said on other platforms but just for the MIS record -IMHO we were the better side and deserved to win.

Two quotes from the Halifax official report
"Defender Cliff Moyo introduced himself in controversial fashion as he got away with just a booking following an off the ball incident with striker Carver.

It was then Denton’s turn to evade an early bath as he received only a yellow for a blatant elbow on centre-back Scott Leather."

Exactly -two red cards were not given by a very poor referee-and that is admitted by a partisan report.

Anyway, great performance, superb support -a day which will live long for all the right reasons. Promotion next season will be equally difficult but we can certainly be optimistic about being in the mix. COYM -thanks for a memorable season to all the players, staff and fans.
Paul Brennan

Re: Play Off Final

Postby Ed » Sun May 14, 2017 2:20 pm

A decisive finisher yesterday maybe would have helped convert our commendable efforts into a win.
Is recently released Daz looking for a club?

Plus points. Next season we'll have higher attendances in Van North than in National (going by Guiseley's figures) with some of best away supported teams in non-league in Vanarama North.
How many supporters might we have got from Dover or Dagenham? And with a part-time team we would be hard pressed to make top 10 in league above.

Plenty to look forward to next season and one or two of our young players may be ready to impress at this level. Defence and midfield are brilliant. Just need that cutting edge.

Danny Rowe made difference at Fylde this season. Similarly Tarpey in Vanarama S for champions
Maidenhead.
Bring back Fozzie!!!
Ed

Postby Tommy Whizbang » Sun May 14, 2017 3:19 pm

A memorable day.
Chorley FC should be proud.
Players, management, staff and fans all superb.
You don't get many days like that, but I'm sure we'll have more.
Tommy Whizbang

Postby blackcountrymagpie » Sun May 14, 2017 4:25 pm

There were so many incidents yesterday I thought the Referee was there match winner. Also a follow through on brannigan unpunished
blackcountrymagpie

Postby mike1 » Sun May 14, 2017 7:10 pm

Some excellent posts here. I could not have been more proud to be a Chorley supporter when I entered the ground and saw the massed ranks of Magpies' fans already in fine voice. They fully deserved the tribute from the stadium announcer at the finish who praised the 'brilliant' turn-out from Chorley. They were a credit to the club. There were so many things to admire yesterday in a final which had so much intensity. I agree with Ed about the missing cutting edge; the local Halifax paper's report made the point that Chorley just lacked a Matty Kosylo type of tricky player. The players gave everything as usual and certainly didn't deserve to lose. I think maybe the early departure of Stephen Jordan hampered and ultimately cost us in defending crosses and corners - but some of the Halifax guys are extra-tall! Denton should definitely have been sent off for the elbow on Scott Leather - an offence described in the Halifax paper as 'blatant'. Matt's emotional state after the final whistle was wholly understandable and showed how much the club means to him. I am hoping that our match secretary left The Shay with the consolation of a very sizeable cheque from a 'gate' of almost 8,000 and I would be disappointed if it were for less than £20-25k. Mind you, if all those police, not to mention the stewards, had to be paid from the receipts, it would bring the distribution down considerably! Having said that, I don't think we should expect the income to provide a 'war-chest' for Matt in pre-season. I'm sure most of us have no real idea just how much it costs to run a club at this level without a free-spending backer behind it. Perhaps it is really time for us all to pay a bit more to watch our beloved team. With a small budget, surely it doesn't add up to be charging one of the lowest admission prices in the league? Would anyone seriously be inconvenienced by a charge of £12 with appropriate concessions of £8 or £9? Which brings me back to my belief that in a way we are better off right now without National League Premier commitments (as Ed has indicated). What is needed is a push to promote season-ticket sales ahead of next term while memories of Saturday are fresh and good; it would be fantastic if not only individual fans but the businesses who have Chorley FC at heart bought a ticket or two. For now, huge thanks to Matt and his colleagues, and of course the players, for a magnificent effort this season.
mike1

Postby Ian Livesey » Sun May 14, 2017 8:13 pm

https://lookaside.fbsbx.com/file/CFC%20 ... 36VPrLGZdE

Click the link and click Open/Save to listen to Chorley FM highlights from the game
Ian Livesey
Site Admin

Postby Ian Livesey » Sun May 14, 2017 8:32 pm

mike1 wrote:Some excellent posts here. I could not have been more proud to be a Chorley supporter when I entered the ground and saw the massed ranks of Magpies' fans already in fine voice. They fully deserved the tribute from the stadium announcer at the finish who praised the 'brilliant' turn-out from Chorley. They were a credit to the club. There were so many things to admire yesterday in a final which had so much intensity. I agree with Ed about the missing cutting edge; the local Halifax paper's report made the point that Chorley just lacked a Matty Kosylo type of tricky player. The players gave everything as usual and certainly didn't deserve to lose. I think maybe the early departure of Stephen Jordan hampered and ultimately cost us in defending crosses and corners - but some of the Halifax guys are extra-tall! Denton should definitely have been sent off for the elbow on Scott Leather - an offence described in the Halifax paper as 'blatant'. Matt's emotional state after the final whistle was wholly understandable and showed how much the club means to him. I am hoping that our match secretary left The Shay with the consolation of a very sizeable cheque from a 'gate' of almost 8,000 and I would be disappointed if it were for less than £20-25k. Mind you, if all those police, not to mention the stewards, had to be paid from the receipts, it would bring the distribution down considerably! Having said that, I don't think we should expect the income to provide a 'war-chest' for Matt in pre-season. I'm sure most of us have no real idea just how much it costs to run a club at this level without a free-spending backer behind it. Perhaps it is really time for us all to pay a bit more to watch our beloved team. With a small budget, surely it doesn't add up to be charging one of the lowest admission prices in the league? Would anyone seriously be inconvenienced by a charge of £12 with appropriate concessions of £8 or £9? Which brings me back to my belief that in a way we are better off right now without National League Premier commitments (as Ed has indicated). What is needed is a push to promote season-ticket sales ahead of next term while memories of Saturday are fresh and good; it would be fantastic if not only individual fans but the businesses who have Chorley FC at heart bought a ticket or two. For now, huge thanks to Matt and his colleagues, and of course the players, for a magnificent effort this season.

Fully agree aswell with regards to pricing next season. I have a feeling with it being £10 for a number of years now, that there'll be an increase next season
Ian Livesey
Site Admin

Postby extech » Mon May 15, 2017 7:46 am

I agree with you Ian. Its past time we increased the gate charges
extech

Postby Paul Speak » Wed May 17, 2017 9:53 am

Apologies to others for posting here but Prediction League thread is locked.

Unlucky 'ChorleyBoy' great effort calling the play-off final spot-on - Couldn't
have been closer in the end ! Good Luck next season, Ste :)
Paul Speak
MIS Prediction League Winner 2011/12

Postby chorleyboy » Sat May 27, 2017 4:51 pm

Paul Speak wrote:Apologies to others for posting here but Prediction League thread is locked.

Unlucky 'ChorleyBoy' great effort calling the play-off final spot-on - Couldn't
have been closer in the end ! Good Luck next season, Ste :)

Well done Paul, I only found out today you pipped me again, been away in South Wales for 2 week, never saw table until I got back, I always said beat Speak, you win the league....... :evil: :D
chorleyboy
MIS Prediction League Winner 2008/09 and 2014/15

Postby mark » Wed May 31, 2017 7:59 am

Personally I think £10 is a good price point. It's a nice round number and also saves faff at the turnstiles for big matches.

I know we're at the low end of prices charged in our league. I feel that is a good thing myself and something to be proud of. Halifax for example charged £16 if memory serves for the game in January, and that was for a segregated stand with seating only and no bar. A poor comparison to our offer of good food, no segregation and a warm welcome in the bar for a tenner.
mark
Site Admin

Return to Chorley FC