Jake signs

Talk about the Magpies. Be respectful to others, no swearing, insulting posts or libellous remarks please.

Moderators: Ian Livesey, Pete Rothwell, Moderators

Jake signs

Postby metz » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:03 am

Jake Cottrell has signed for a fifth season with The Magpies. Originally joining us the summer of 2013 from FCUM, Cottrell made his debut for The Magpies against Barwell
metz

Re: Jake signs

Postby tah » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:26 pm

Great news let's sign up the rest
tah

Postby mike1 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:23 am

tah wrote:Great news let's sign up the rest

Great news obviously about Jake but I'm sure fans would agree that the lack of information for Magpies followers as to how the squad is shaping up for the new season is becoming a concern. It seems to me that many of our competitors in NLN have been announcing signings and re-signings for some time now but any kind of news-feed from Victory Park has been hard to find. How many of the current playing staff are already committed to the club for next season? I hope more than Jake and Jason Walker who I believe is on a two-years deal. No doubt we'll learn more when pre-season training begins but it would be encouraging to at least have some clear idea of where we are. As for new signings, I really do hope that the start of pre-season will also lead to a new face or two. Are we being repeatedly outbid for the services of players with a proven track-record at NLN level?
mike1

Postby magpie1875 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:28 am

magpie1875

Postby charnock1 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:36 am

The above link merely states that the squad 'have been offered' new deals. This surely means that each squad player is waiting to see which clubs offer
better terms than Chorley - then when none is forthcoming they will sign on or not as the case maybe.

Maybe this is one of the areas that Josh in his new role will take up - a type of fans liaison officer where better information can be communicated
between the club and fans
charnock1

Postby Paul Brennan » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:35 am

mike1 wrote: It seems to me that many of our competitors in NLN have been announcing signings and re-signings for some time now but any kind of news-feed from Victory Park has been hard to find. How many of the current playing staff are already committed to the club for next season? As for new signings, I really do hope that the start of pre-season will also lead to a new face or two. Are we being repeatedly outbid for the services of players with a proven track-record at NLN level?

It seems Mike, that there are broadly two approaches at work:
1) Spend the cash however and wherever generated to buy some players -see Salford, Stockport, Harrogate, Alfreton etc
2) Wait to see who is available when training re-commences, making decisions based on suitability to conform to the "dressing room" atmosphere/ethos. See Kidderminster and Blyth, whose manager is quoted as saying-"We are looking at and we are working on players to help strengthen the squad.
It’s not something I’m rushing into though; it’s not something I’m desperate to do. It needs to be the right player and someone that is the right fit for us."

And CFC are firmly in the second approach. Money must be one factor here but also the previously mentioned (now and in virtually every post match interview by Matt!) team building.
The fact that CFC is not bank-rolled, in massive debt or living beyond its means is surely healthier in the long term-and that means in the new non-league world of clubs as vanity projects for multi-millionaire businesspeople-and even lottery winners-we inevitably will miss out on some targets.
We will have to "wait and see"-but one final thought-which club has consistently been one of the best sides to watch in recent years on what can be assumed is a budget near the bottom of any ranking table? IMO it's Curzon Ashton. OK they are not challenging for honours right now -though their FA cup runin 2016-17 was very impressive-but they demonstrate that money isn't everything.
Paul Brennan

Postby Ed » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:44 pm

Paul Brennan wrote:
mike1 wrote: It seems to me that many of our competitors in NLN have been announcing signings and re-signings for some time now but any kind of news-feed from Victory Park has been hard to find. How many of the current playing staff are already committed to the club for next season? As for new signings, I really do hope that the start of pre-season will also lead to a new face or two. Are we being repeatedly outbid for the services of players with a proven track-record at NLN level?

It seems Mike, that there are broadly two approaches at work:
1) Spend the cash however and wherever generated to buy some players -see Salford, Stockport, Harrogate, Alfreton etc

At most only 2 of these can get promoted. So at least 2 are wasting their money if looking to buy success. But can you buy success? The 3 Chorley players County took on last year were all let go in May. Same with Hine and Stephenson. Players going to such BIG clubs rarely last 18 months before they are looking again for a club.

And once the big money clubs have spent their budgets and bought their new team this season, there's little incentive for any other players not to re-sign on similar terms to last season for their current clubs. Most players should be glad to re-sign for their existing clubs.

Agree regarding Curzon. A team made up of their attack and our defence might have won the league last year without spending high. Both teams seem to have good dressing rooms without any stars.

Regarding new signings - it might be worthwhile though making one super signing to boost morale and show fans and players alike that we are looking up. Or maybe takng a league player on extended loan eg Ironside at Kidderminster. In the 60s we are told most of the team were paid £7 and they brought in Peter Watson on £8. That team stayed together for years as with Peter's goals they could win something most seasons. A good way to reward last season's endeavours might be to add a superstriker to the team to give them a chance of honours. Bet Fylde and Halifax have 1 or 2 strikers to spare.
Ed

Postby ste faz » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:15 pm

I think maybe CR7 could be available,but would he fit with our "Dressing room ethos"?
Financially I accept we may have to splash-out on some dressing-room mirrors for him, but.?????????
ste faz

Return to Chorley FC