Salford

Talk about the Magpies. Be respectful to others, no swearing, insulting posts or libellous remarks please.

Moderators: Ian Livesey, Pete Rothwell, Moderators

Salford

Postby Paul Brennan » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:59 am

Thirty odd comments on FB -nowt on here!

So, for AndrewA and anyone else my views about last night:
Against a very average Salford team we dominated for long spells but couldn't create any real clear cut chances -they defended on thier 18 yard line especially SH and denied space behind. SH we were sharper and pushed the wingbacks on but just couldn't quite acheive at least the point we deserved. On another night we would have won comfortably.
Positives -more than matched the bookies' favourites; defence was as usual excellent; when Jake came on energy levels and effectiveness improved considerably; O'Keefe had his best game for us IMO.
Areas to improve- lacked composure and guile at times; think Blakes is wasted at LB -much the best passer and creative force in the team -should be central midfield with someone else in defence-his freekicks and corners are usually top class; Chally needs to get forward more.

Overall -very good performance which deserved much more -COYM

Mike1 -your opinion please :)
Paul Brennan

Re: Salford

Postby andrewa » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:51 am

Thanks Paul, that's good of you.

Seems liike the old problem of not being clinical enough up front is still there.
How did Gornell do? Didn't see much of him on the Twitter feed.
andrewa

Postby Paul Brennan » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:35 am

andrewa wrote:Thanks Paul, that's good of you.

Seems liike the old problem of not being clinical enough up front is still there.

Terry did OK with a couple of very physical centre backs making his life very difficult -he's no doubt used to more slightly more subtle defending in League 2 :)

On another note, noticed Evostik Leagues WS Transfer news has "Richie Branagan from Chorley to Droylsden" -is this correct?
Paul Brennan

Postby mike1 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:56 am

Paul Brennan wrote:Thirty odd comments on FB -nowt on here!

Against a very average Salford team we dominated for long spells but couldn't create any real clear cut chances
Positives -more than matched the bookies' favourites; defence was as usual excellent; when Jake came on energy levels and effectiveness improved considerably; O'Keefe had his best game for us IMO.
Areas to improve- lacked composure and guile at times; think Blakes is wasted at LB -much the best passer and creative force in the team -should be central midfield with someone else in defence-his freekicks and corners are usually top class; Chally needs to get forward more.

Overall -very good performance which deserved much more -COYM

Mike1 -your opinion please :)

I agree with almost all the above comments, Paul. However, i think Matt touched on the missing link in his interview - and you mention it yourself. We lack a little bit of guile, craftiness, creativity, call it what you like. I know the management trio have worked hard to find and bring in the type of player needed in midfield but it unfortunately hasn't yet happened. We're never short of effort or drive or unflagging fitness but our attacking can be pretty predictable. Last night we kept slinging high balls towards their box - meat and drink for surely one of the tallest teams in the league. We need to get someone in behind the defence, to cut the ball back for the strikers to finish. I have yet to see Terry Gornell given a ball to run onto and shoot; he must be incredibly frustrated. I do think Jason Walker should be used more - remember the Fleetwood friendly and his ability to lose his marker and score a poacher's goal? We need that. Couldn't agree more about Blakes and a midfield role - again, he's a guy with an eye for a defence-splitting pass. The referee came in for a lot of stick last night. Yes, he didn't give us much at all. But! - how many stupid free-kicks did we give away by charging into players with little hope of winning the ball? He's got to blow for those. Marcus in particular lets his frustration get the better of him too easily in this respect and it's unhelpful to the team to give the opposition the chance to launch the ball forward and relieve pressure, as Salford were happy to do all second half. Big positives for me were at the back with Leather and Jordan immense against some talented Salford ball-players.
mike1

Postby toploader999 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:32 am

first half was close with both teams not really creating much.
came out second half and dominated apart from a couple of breaks from Salford coming close.
imo we looked the fitter of the teams which says something about their fitnessf with being full time. Pela(no3) was breathing through his arse after 60 mins.

Onwards and upwards roll on Saturday coym
toploader999

Postby Tempie » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:41 am

Andrew I'll virtually repeat what I said on Facebook. Same old, same old. No pace, no skill and no craft. It's incredibly frustrating to loose game like that. We bossed it but offered no threat. I would hate to play as a striker in our team. Going forward I think we will be back to jake, dale and blakeman in midfield. That either leaves carver or Wilson on the bench. The ' carver works hard' statement is wearing thin now. He neither looks like scoring or creates anything. He needs to start thinking! He could have got sent off last night for that stupid challenge. Hard work only gets a player so far! I genuinely believe the difference between promotion or not is a right winger.

Enoch came on for a brief spell and again showed nothing to suggest he's good enough. If we'd have created a last minute chance I know I'd rather it fell to gornell than him! Very strange substitution and very strange signing. No blame attached to any players they all tried and we dominated. Tactically and personnel wise it wasn't quite right though IMO
Tempie

Postby Prodigal son » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:13 pm

Everybody worked hard, we lack craft and pace. We need width, with a wide player not Carver shoved out wide, also feel for Gornell who I thought was poor last night but he is just not getting the sort of service a player of his type needs. No use lumping high balls up for him, particularly against a defence the size of Salford's. Also thought the subs were odd, how can Jarvis be left stood there when we need width, brings on a raw kid with so much to learn. We know all about the budget but our failings are still like last season.
Onward to Curzon and let's hope we can break that bogie because we usually look s@@t against them. COYM
Prodigal son

Postby mike1 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:02 pm

Tempie wrote:Andrew I'll virtually repeat what I said on Facebook. Same old, same old. No pace, no skill and no craft. It's incredibly frustrating to loose game like that. We bossed it but offered no threat. I would hate to play as a striker in our team. Going forward I think we will be back to jake, dale and blakeman in midfield. That either leaves carver or Wilson on the bench. The ' carver works hard' statement is wearing thin now. He neither looks like scoring or creates anything. He needs to start thinking! He could have got sent off last night for that stupid challenge. Hard work only gets a player so far! I genuinely believe the difference between promotion or not is a right winger.

Enoch came on for a brief spell and again showed nothing to suggest he's good enough. If we'd have created a last minute chance I know I'd rather it fell to gornell than him! Very strange substitution and very strange signing. No blame attached to any players they all tried and we dominated. Tactically and personnel wise it wasn't quite right though IMO

Very perceptive assessment as usual, Tempie. I wasn't bold enough in my earlier post but you are saying all the things I was thinking about the strike-force situation.
mike1

Postby andrewa » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:28 pm

Well, thanks to Paul for starting this thread, to me for a team with 1000+ supporters at home there is room for both a forum and Facebook.
I don't think there is any doubt about the commitment and work rate of the players, but as always this needs to be combined with ( as other posters say) guile and intelligent thinking. If this could be sorted ( easy to say but perhaps not as easy to achieve) then we would be a real threat to the big spenders. If we acquire a decent player like Gornall who can score goals then surely there has to be an effort to build the style of play around him. There does not seem to be an awful lot of goals in this team, as was shown last season. It sounds rather like the same pattern is emerging this time - 2 games no goals scored by us.
Just one other thing....Still don't understand why our promising youngsters are farmed out to other clubs, often never to be seen or heard of again.
andrewa

Postby chewy380 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:15 pm

Paul Brennan wrote:
andrewa wrote:Thanks Paul, that's good of you.

Terry did OK with a couple of very physical centre backs making his life very difficult -he's no doubt used to more slightly more subtle defending in League 2 :)

On another note, noticed Evostik Leagues WS Transfer news has "Richie Branagan from Chorley to Droylsden" -is this correct?

It says confirmed player movements on Evo site so I presume he's gone.
chewy380

Return to Chorley FC