Curzon for andrew

Talk about the Magpies. Be respectful to others, no swearing, insulting posts or libellous remarks please.

Moderators: Ian Livesey, Pete Rothwell, Moderators

Curzon for andrew

Postby Tempie » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:26 pm

This is the post I put on Facebook. To be honest it's not strong enough, I was feeling relaxed because I went fishing after the game.

5-3-2 is KILLING this club!!! Today was dross, sod what's going behind the scenes I pay my money to watch a football match! All last season was dull, attritional football (that's being kind)! Nothing has changed if anything it's worse because o Keefe is playing and gornell can't hold the ball up!! 800 people there today for the first Saturday home game of the season! PEOPLE DONT WANT TO WATCH IT! THEY WANT TO BE ENTERTAINED!! He's undoing all the good work that's happened over the last 5-10 years by boring everyone to death. For gods sake we don't need a flat back 5 against curzon at home! Play 4 at the back and sit roscoe in front of the defence then tell the rest to get forward! Do something, anything! Please!
Tempie

Re: Curzon for andrew

Postby Ed » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:39 pm

No pace. No width.
No way can our strikers feed effectively off high balls against tall defences.
No... further comment.
Ed

Postby andrewa » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:03 pm

Feeling somewhat honoured to have my own thread!

It's funny but even though I don't attend the matches I can see what's happening with the team. Having watched football at all levels for a long time you get to recognise the signs....
I don't feel qualified to make direct criticisms but to me the lack of opportunities for younger players in the squad is a sign of a very conservative and unambitious approach by the management. Will we ever see pacey, raw players in the team? Will the management ever take a risk? For goodness sake this is the National League North, if young players cannot be given a chance then what hope is there? We have witnessed a succession of talented youngsters denied an opportunity in the first team. Loaning them out into the lower divisions to "bring them on" is ok for higher league teams but surely National North is the place for bringing on young enthusiastic players with prospects?

Thanks for starting the thread Tempie, much appreciated!
andrewa

Postby Tempie » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:21 am

Andrew you've hit the nail on the head! Jansen is so conservative and low risk. I fear it's all about protecting his own reputation! He doesn't care about developing young players because he won't be here long. As soon as a league club comes in he will be gone. He doesn't even watch the u21s. When they lost 14-0 it took him about to minutes to tweet saying it wasn't his team that lost. He missed half of pre season to go on holiday. He doesn't care that attendances are dropping because it's boring, as long as the results are ok his cv is ok! He is not what he's cracked up to be and it seems like there is only me who can see it or is brave enough to say it.
Tempie

Postby Paul Brennan » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:04 am

Have to say Tempie there is a great deal of truth in your posts here -yesterday was a very poor performance from virtually everyone -I'll give exceptions to Leather, Cotterell and Jordan.
Last season only eight teams scored fewer goals than us -and seven of them were in the bottom ten. OK we had the third equal best defence -credit where it's due -but people want some entertainment as well as results. Flyde let in 19 more goals but ,so what, they scored 49 more -49!! for God's sake.

Yes, we had great results AND performances like Fylde and Kiddy away (PO SF) but we also could not put mediocre teams "to the sword" on numerous occasions. Safety first -don't lose- seems to be the motto.
And as you say, Tempie we have not strenghtened -even Sefton could win SOME high balls!

Also fully agree about young players and their progress -CFC is just like the other one -Chelsea ;no risks will be allowed to give Myers,Darr, Southworth etc a go. I won't be giving pledge money to a system that so far has not been given a chance to bring on local talent.

Things do need to change if gates aren't going to slip-I just hope the correct, tough decsions are made. COYM!
Paul Brennan

Postby Prodigal son » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:01 am

The sad thing is there is no excitement, it was dross, we only ever look capable of scoring from set pieces with the CB's up top for headers. Nobody takes people on, probably Jarvis is the only player we have capable of taking players on and he only got 15 minutes, we don't have wing backs, we have one good full back (Challoner) and a fill in midfielder lacking pace at left back, Challoner does his best to get forward but then Teague is exposed for pace if left without cover when Challoner is forward, change the game plan for God's sake before we are down to 600 through the gate. Get one or two quick young players in as soon as possible, let's take a chance or two and make it worth watching a game.
Prodigal son

Postby Tempie » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:18 am

Thanks guys glad to see it's not just me that see the obvious flaws
Tempie

Postby mike1 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:22 pm

Paul Brennan wrote:Have to say Tempie there is a great deal of truth in your posts here -yesterday was a very poor performance from virtually everyone -I'll give exceptions to Leather, Cotterell and Jordan.
Last season only eight teams scored fewer goals than us -and seven of them were in the bottom ten. OK we had the third equal best defence -credit where it's due -but people want some entertainment as well as results. Flyde let in 19 more goals but ,so what, they scored 49 more -49!! for God's sake.

Yes, we had great results AND performances like Fylde and Kiddy away (PO SF) but we also could not put mediocre teams "to the sword" on numerous occasions. Safety first -don't lose- seems to be the motto.
And as you say, Tempie we have not strenghtened -even Sefton could win SOME high balls!

Things do need to change if gates aren't going to slip-I just hope the correct, tough decsions are made. COYM!

Crikey! there's some hard-hitting stuff on here today - but at least people are posting to give those of us who avoid Facebook a chance to join in. It's hard to disagree with a lot of these comments but criticism of the manager's attitude is in my view way over the top and unjustified. Matt is a thoroughly decent guy, hugely respected in our league, and to accuse him of purely self-promotion is disgraceful in my opinion. He is first and foremost trying to win football matches, to keep Chorley FC in this very competitive National League on a very modest budget compared to several big-hitters. That said, I agree that a more adventurous style of play is desirable, though not if it puts us in a sustained fight for survival in the bottom five or six. A look at the table even at this early stage shows just how tough this league is going to be this season. We stand 10th with a record that, given the demanding opening fixtures, is about par. We'd have probably not been surprised to lose at Kiddy, draw with Salford and beat Curzon, yet we've gained the same points by a different route. The teams at the top have done very well - but they haven't been playing too many of the big boys. For what it's worth, I agree that our football is pretty unattractive at present. We lack creativity in midfield and are seriously short of pace - we need a flyer down the wing(s) and until such a player can be signed we must play Jarvis and give Blakeman a go in midfield. The build-up is often ponderous, the strikers are feeding off next to nothing. I've yet to see Terry Gornell given a ball in front of him to put in the net; he spends most of the game with a big centre-half breathing down his neck or tracking out wide for possession and thus not being in the box in case a half-chance occurs there. Currently, our only efforts on goal seem to be pot-shots from distance or maybe a header at a set-piece. Even against our decent defence (and both Leather and Jordan have been outstanding) other teams seem to be able to work better openings. Curzon could have scored three before half-time yesterday. As mentioned, attendances are a already a worry but I think the league table rather than just style of play dictates the size of the 'gate' - hence we need to be in the top half. But let's not get too down just yet. It's a long season, despite the ridiculous number of games to be played by the end of August. Have the administrators forgotten that there are only 22 teams in this league not 24? Why the rush?
mike1

Postby petermarkcraig » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:24 pm

OMG!

An away win against a team who were among the favourites for promotion last season, an unlucky loss against a team who have resources that we could only dream of and a evidently poor performance but a point yesterday and it's sack the manager time already!

Memories appear to be short. 2000 people at Halifax only a few months ago were hailing Matt and the team as heroes punching above their weight and achieving amazing success. People are of course entitled to their opinion but to be so damning and downright insulting about a man who nearly got us promotion is pathetic and if I was him I would be deeply hurt. I feel depressed already and it's not the team that is depressing me. Yet.
petermarkcraig
Site Admin

Postby andrewa » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:47 pm

My argument is based around having a youth set up and not using it. In my opinion it should function as:

1) A feeder for the senior team
2)A way to progress young players who want to make a career in football
3) A tried and tested way of producing transfer income for the club.
4) A community project that promotes the club and creates interest for younger people ie positive PR.
And last but not least it should enliven the senior squad and create interest and excitement for the fans.

As I stated I am not in the business of ( or in a position to) criticise the manager or the team, I'm a long way from Victory Park. However I would question why we have a youth set up and why we take young players on loan if they are not going to be given a chance to break into the team. We are missing opportunities for the club by not taking advantage of the things listed above.
andrewa

Postby Ed » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:41 pm

Against top teams like Harrogate on Tuesday then Saturday's tactics should work well. But we should have changed our approach to be able to create more chances against Curzon and I think Matt's post match interview reflects this.

Bit harsh to criticise MJ for going on holiday. Compared to some managers in our league MJ and JV seem to follow an
intelligent approach given funds available.
Last edited by Ed on Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ed

Postby toploader999 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:56 pm

PMC well said (agreeing again)

Tempie give ur head a wobble will you 3 games in ffs!!

Do we all work? do we all want a holiday? Is MJ not supposed/ entitled to a holiday ??.

Yes yesterday wasnt good i would agree, but to come on here after 3 games complaining regards MJ ... Like i said give ur head a wobble man
toploader999

Postby Tempie » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:35 pm

No sorry I can't agree. It's not 3 games it was all last season too. We scraped into the playoffs via a technicality. We got beat at home by Halifax easily yet played exactly the same way in the final! As for the holiday! Are school teachers allowed a holiday during term time? The pre season is part of the season. He should have been at the games to see what we needed. He should be at the u21's games (at least some) if nothing more than just to offer encouragement. It's called commitment! We saw where his loyalties lie when he was retweeting posts linking him to the Blackburn job. If you look back at his quotes you'll see we've been constantly misled. Where's josh Hines replacement? I'm sure he's a lovely guy but he's killing this club by the end of the season we will have 500 for an average game if he doesn't change the style. Nice guys still make bad decisions.
Tempie

Postby toploader999 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:40 pm

Tempie wrote:No sorry I can't agree. It's not 3 games it was all last season too. We scraped into the playoffs via a technicality. We got beat at home by Halifax easily yet played exactly the same way in the final! As for the holiday! Are school teachers allowed a holiday during term time? The pre season is part of the season. He should have been at the games to see what we needed. He should be at the u21's games (at least some) if nothing more than just to offer encouragement. It's called commitment! We saw where his loyalties lie when he was retweeting posts linking him to the Blackburn job. If you look back at his quotes you'll see we've been constantly misled. Where's josh Hines replacement? I'm sure he's a lovely guy but he's killing this club by the end of the season we will have 500 for an average game if he doesn't change the style. Nice guys still make bad decisions.

Scraped through.... so what if we did !! we where there!!!

Loyalties... really!! It was the fans who wanted him it was probably flattering for him .

How long as a matter of interest have you been following CFC ? If we get 500 we get 500 compared to others in this league that would still be good.

We manage on a low wage bill and it affects the personnel you can bring in. In todays market non league players demand big wages with signing on fees. MJ and his staff worked hard for weeks to sign an experienced football league player only for him tonsign for another team in this league who gave him a hefty brown envelope.

You make mention of Josh and the money... where do you think it went?? BACK into the club..

Id rather play the way we do and be up there than struggling near bottom.. I still say half way and above is STILL an achievement in this financially based league....

Mini rant over
toploader999

Postby petermarkcraig » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:00 pm

Tempie wrote:No sorry I can't agree. It's not 3 games it was all last season too. We scraped into the playoffs via a technicality. We got beat at home by Halifax easily yet played exactly the same way in the final! As for the holiday! Are school teachers allowed a holiday during term time? The pre season is part of the season. He should have been at the games to see what we needed. He should be at the u21's games (at least some) if nothing more than just to offer encouragement. It's called commitment! We saw where his loyalties lie when he was retweeting posts linking him to the Blackburn job. If you look back at his quotes you'll see we've been constantly misled. Where's josh Hines replacement? I'm sure he's a lovely guy but he's killing this club by the end of the season we will have 500 for an average game if he doesn't change the style. Nice guys still make bad decisions.

"Cake and eat it" springs to mind. Entertaining failure? Competitive success? Give me the latter any day.
petermarkcraig
Site Admin

Postby andrewa » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:24 pm

A bit of both suits me!

It's the age old problem in football, look at West Ham under Sam Allardyce they ground out results - but no that wasn't the "West Ham way" now look at them thrashed today by a revitalised Utd team that has been ordinary, but grinding out results, they now seem set to cut loose and score goals. Of course money helps, but to me the logical next step for the Magpies would have been to gradually introduce flair and creativity into the team, whilst maintaining a solid core that makes them hard to beat.
Unfortunately this does not seem to have happened yet. Without harping on about it, raw, young, creative players carefully introduced into a mature defensively based team could be sensational. I just have to re ask the question, where are these players,? The answer is they are at teams like Prescot Cables and Turriff Utd. Maybe there is a grand scheme which will take time,if there is I will hold my hand up and say well done. Until then I make the age old case for good old "youth and experience".
andrewa

Postby Tempie » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:13 pm

Toploader and others I've been watching chorley for 20odd years. In the days when Neil Mitchell ran down the left wing, Colin Potts, Jim mclusky. I've seen us grow and I desperately don't want to go back to those days. You're entitled to you're opinion and so am I.
Tempie

Postby Tempie » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:22 pm

And you're also missing the point! We don't need a massive budget to play entertaining football! Josh o keefe is ex football league. Apparently the budget is 20% higher this year. On what??? It's not the results it's the way we play!!!!!!!!! Ask the 200 that didn't turn up yesterday
Tempie

Postby toploader999 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:09 pm

20 odd that all :lol: 1984 my first ... i now feel old
toploader999

Postby toploader999 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:10 pm

20% higher... i can assure u it aint
toploader999

Postby Tempie » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:30 pm

Well the 20% figure was quoted by a director on the Facebook site! So either he's telling porkies or you know nothing. I don't want to get into arguments with fellow supporters. My opinion is that he's damaging the club with his policy of playing spoiling tactics, turning every game into a boring slugfest and probably more importantly his constant lack of trust for young players. It is affecting us! Most people won't post on here or Facebook, they just won't turn up at the games. And all we will be left with is a bunch of slightly greying, middle age blokes ( like me) who think it's all ok because we were crap in 1999! S
Tempie

Postby toploader999 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:42 pm

i know a bit ...
toploader999

Postby Tempie » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:36 am

So who's not telling the truth then? You're quick enough to jump down my throat! If a club director says the budget is up 20% from last year can that not be taken as the truth?
Tempie

Postby Prodigal son » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:30 am

Not sure how long anyone has been watching the club is relevant to this argument but you are relatively new Toploader if you only started in 1984, some of us "owd gits" go back to the 50's but everyone is entitled to their opinion. Tempie has his view and I am certain he has the right to express it. On to Harrogate and I for one am not optimistic, but I will be there. COYM!
Prodigal son

Postby toploader999 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:52 am

opinions are opinions but to come on after 3 games slagging MJ off !!
toploader999

Postby 2 4 Joy » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:47 pm

Totally agree with your comments Tempie. You have only posted what many fans were saying last season and this. No surprise that the usual club apologists have posted their disagreement. I'm afraid Jansen just isn't anywhere near as good as Flitty.
2 4 Joy

Postby andrewa » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:08 pm

Well, that's got a few things out in the open, maybe MiS isn't dead yet!

In my opinion, as you might have gathered, a core of young players should be the lifeblood of the club, both in terms of our style of play and in financial terms.
The club policy seems to be chasing ( often without success) older more experienced ex league players.
As I have said before, there are plenty models in the way other clubs have both made money and developed talent, whilst also benefitting the team on the field.
If done properly and with care, inclusion of young players should not be a road to instant failure. You introduce raw talent gradually and I don't mean five minutes at the end of a game (Louis Myers/Alex Samizadeh spring to mind.) Give them time, assess how they did and act accordingly.
There's a buzz of excitment when a new young talent is introduced, this seems to be missing at the moment.
To me any semi professional club that doesn't have a well organised and consistent progression route for young players is going to suffer in the long term.
andrewa

Postby toploader999 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:21 pm

wondered when you would pipe up Mr Joy... not
toploader999

Postby Ian Livesey » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:39 pm

toploader999 wrote:20 odd that all :lol: 1984 my first ... i now feel old

Where do you stand Neil, cos I never see you with your dad?
Ian Livesey
Site Admin

Postby Ian Livesey » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:46 pm

It's pretty obvious that Matt and Jamie have a game plan. They do go watch teams after all and play accordingly. But maybe it's not because of how we play, it's how the other team plays to adapt to us. We're very predictable. Long balls from the back bypassing midfield (you said it yourself Sat mike1) that just end up on the heads of the opposition defence. Set piece routines from the corners that don't bear fruit. I was actually bored to commentate on that game on Saturday and was willing the clock to tick to 90 mins just so I could go to work.

That said, we also aren't helped by it being a very bad month in terms of teams we're playing. The first 3 fixtures involved 2 full time sides. We've got Harrogate tomorrow who are another full time side on a plastic pitch. Then Boston away is never easy. Then Brackley at home who have three wins out of three. Then Bradford away managed by Mark Bower of Guiseley fame when they beat us in the playoff final and has half of that squad. Oh and then York City first game at home in Sept. Realistically I'd be hoping for 6 points. Best of luck Chorley.
Ian Livesey
Site Admin

Next

Return to Chorley FC