Harrogate breakaways

Talk about the Magpies. Be respectful to others, no swearing, insulting posts or libellous remarks please.

Moderators: Ian Livesey, Pete Rothwell, Moderators

Harrogate breakaways

Postby Ed » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:33 pm

We often seem vulnerable when attacking (especially at our own corners). In general our main strength is defending all over the park with strikers tracking back, but when we switch to attack and our defenders go forward in support our defence suffers and we don't have the pace to get back sometimes.
Harrogate seemed to take advantage of this tonight breaking from defence to score.
Perhaps against top teams we should just defend, although tonight with a goal down after 3 minutes this may not have been possible.
Ed

Re: Harrogate breakaways

Postby Prodigal son » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:24 am

Don't worry Ed, MJ has taken the positives from the 4-1 defeat.
Prodigal son

Postby Tempie » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:51 am

yeah I'm glad he's taking the positives. The positives being that it wasn't six! He made sure that didn't happen by bringing on o Keefe to kill the game when 3-1 down. Not only did we get hammered but our two big summer signings took all of 3 games to end up on the bench. Which effectively means we are no better than last year and the likes of Jordan, Teague, walker, charnock and all a year older and slower and our bright young hope is playing for Turriff Utd in Scotland. Get on the phone to league clubs and get some youth in on loan. Then again they won't send them because they know he won't play them!
Tempie

Postby Prodigal son » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:29 am

Really can't see us getting more than 4 points from the next 4 games either which will really put the pressure on. We were second to every ball again last night, our players never seem to be able to find space like others do, we insist on passing the ball across the back line then hoofing it up, or passing back to keeper who then hoods it up, nothing ever changes. As for O'Keefe substitution it was just what was needed when we were 3-1 down, can't understand why Roscoe hasn't walked away and got himself a regular start elsewhere. We are weaker than last season, but can't see anything changing.
Prodigal son

Postby andrewa » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:04 am

When a defensively based set up with a mature set of players gets into their second or third season together there are always going to be problems. Firstly other teams work them out. This is not difficult because in our case the attacking threat us not there, Chorley are not a pacey team, so for the opposition, fast counter attack is just one of the options.
Secondly, there Is no mechanism within our set up to be flexible against differing opposition. Thirdly (you might say predictably from me) there is no progression path for younger players, the side is crying out for an injection of youth. All our brightest prospects are either out on loan or have been released.
I am surprised our relatively experienced management team cannot see all this. It happens at all levels, a very successful side has to evolve, develop and introduce fresh blood. People might say we are not a rich bankrolled club, so it's difficult, but there are plenty of examples of teams flourishing under difficult financial circumstances, through enlightened management and a certain amount of risk taking with younger players. Age should not be put there as an obstacle against raw, exciting talent.
andrewa

Postby Paul Brennan » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:14 pm

Firstly, we didn't go last night -but hopefully that won't draw any criticism along the lines of "I started supporting in (insert date)" or "I never miss a game" ... :?
At least Matt dropped -'rested'- some of the under performers-and hopefully in private he told them why.
Yet listening to MagpiesLive Ian L's top class commentary, it seems we missed at least two excellent opportunities, Harrogate had a great deal of possession -and, crucially, made it pay. The hard truth is that our current forwards have never been scorers of the calibre of Deano and Fozzie (to use CFC examples) at their previous clubs -and in the end, the ratio of goals to games is the key stat. "Works hard", "can bring others into the game" "unselfish"- don't cut it -"scores consistently" is the only real measure.
Of course, if we win a couple of games soon, much of the comments made on here by Ed,Tempie, PS and others,will be deflected.

The issue is -are we in a position to win games consistently, playing intelligently and entertainingly ? Most on here are sceptical, putting it mildly.
For me the crucial emotion has to be hope -and the best way to create this is to sign or loan some exciting talent from somewhere -take a gamble on some prolific scorer from a lower league or reserve at a league club -and then, not surprisingly, play him -don't as andrew says give them 5 minutes but a full game.
One of last season's great memories is Samizadeh's goal at Gainsborough-point is it didn't get him a start!
Paul Brennan

Postby andrewa » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:24 pm

I agree with all that you say Paul. There must be other Samizadeh's at local league clubs. Part of the professional game is that they loan out young players to give them a "taste" of semi pro football at our level. The problem as you and everyone else knows, it's well nigh impossible for a young player to break into our team. I notice Samizadeh is now playing at Kilmarnock, despite this he obviously wasn't good enough for a few starts in the Chorley team. Could it be our reputation for not playing young loan players is affecting local league teams attitude to lending to Chorley? After all there are plenty of other teams who are welcoming loan players with open arms.
andrewa

Postby Prodigal son » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:03 pm

Paul, my comments were based on last nights game, as Ian said in commentary couple of very good chances, but this is the recurring theme, we need 3-4 chances to score a goal. Last night a chance fell to Challoner in the first half, he elected to take a touch, his touch was poor and the chance gone, maybe if he had hit it first time, we will never know. Second half good cross from Teague to back post fell to Walker who really should have scored, he didn't, thereby hangs the tale. Harrogate were quicker on the ball and always found space, we needed extra touches and were always marked , no doubting the effort but we need new blood and quickly.
Prodigal son

Postby chewy380 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:48 pm

It's been the case for a long time that it's harder to get out of this side than it is to get in it.
chewy380

Postby Ed » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:49 pm

Don't panic!! Not yet.
Last season in these same fixtures we had:
Kidderminster D.
Salford W.
Curzon L.
Harrogate L.
4points.
End of season 6th

This season W. L. D. L.
4 points.
End of season 6th???
Ed

Postby carlfromeccleston » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:06 pm

Well I was there last night (along with a very decent away following) and would add the following to the points made:

i) we looked a yard slower than the opposition, particularly late on, whether this is fitness or the 3G surface not sure
ii) for a good spell in both H1 and H2 we dominated possession but could not convert two or three decent chances - the JW header would have gone in on a grass pitch - he headed into the pitch (as most coaches would teach) and the ball ballooned off the surface over the bar
iii) we are slow to react when our attack breaks down - two goals last night came within 20-30 seconds of our attack failing - do we over commit or is it the fitness point?
iv) clear penalty claims in both halves went unanswered from a joker in black masquerading as the official - don't get me started on the sending off - ridiculous - this will soon be a non-contact sport if they were two yellows.

All said, the result was right albeit the margin of victory flattered Harrogate greatly.

Not sure I can be bothered with another trip to Boston to be herded into that crappy corner like a bunch of northern sheep, safe journey for all those travelling.
carlfromeccleston
MIS Prediction League Winner 2010/11

Postby Tempie » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:25 pm

Ed I'm not doubting that we will have decent season but I can't see us finishing higher than mid table unless things change. Some really good points in the above posts. I don't care that the club's happy clappers will whinge at me for saying this but as I've said numerous times I have zero confidence in Matt Jansens ability to scout and select players. All the signings are the same- played at a higher level, get released, fall down the leagues and sign for chorley as an experienced player. The best non league managers have the ability to spot a player in a lower league, sign them and then hopefully sell them on. I can only think of 1 Jansen signing that's gone to a higher level and that's Raul correia and he played about 20min of football in the 5 months we had him because like every other young player he wasn't given a chance. The culture needs to change back to the way it was under flitcroft and if Jansen can't do that then come the end of the season it'll be time to say goodbye. And yes I'm sure we have a god awful reputation amongst local football league clubs. There's a reason we had to go to Shrewsbury for an emergency keeper last year. I await the usual stick I'll get for this but until the culture of the playing side of this club changes I'll keep them coming!
Tempie

Postby Ian Livesey » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:49 pm

One player who seemed to be scoring well for Prescot last season, is a local lad and has played for us and the Conference before - Chris Almond. Why not try and get him back in?
Ian Livesey
Site Admin

Postby Paul Brennan » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:16 pm

One good thing andrew -MIS, at least at present, has been given a shot in the arm -and IMHO the debate is interesting and valuable. :D

Now, to be positive, can CFC go to Boston and prove their mettle,please. COYM
Paul Brennan

Postby chewy380 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:38 pm

Why not give Enock a try? From what I've seen he seems to have most of what we're lacking, pace & power.
chewy380

Postby andrewa » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:23 pm

Yes Paul MiS lives on !

Lets hope its revival coincides with that of the team...
andrewa

Postby Paul Brennan » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:41 pm

chewy380 wrote:Why not give Enock a try? From what I've seen he seems to have most of what we're lacking, pace & power.

From Twitter tonight: "90' GOAL Lickoy-Elumba with an amazing solo run the complete length of Fylde's half, rounds the keeper and plants the ball (2-1) #CHOvFYL!"
Why not give him a run -out?
Paul Brennan

Postby JP » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:38 pm

Won 2-1 tonight Paul against Fylde
JP
MIS Prediction League Winner 2015/16

Postby andrewa » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:19 am

He might now qualify for 5 minutes at the end v Boston. Then again was anybody from the management at the game to see his performance?
Judging from the Twitter feed, he ran the game, lets hope he gets a chance.
andrewa

Postby Prodigal son » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:28 am

Several players were very good in last nights game, Harry Pratt was excellent alongside Likoy Elumba and scored the opening goal, there was an outstanding central defender named Evans, Smith and Lenehan played well. Don't think any member of the Management were present. It was a very good game to watch. But will these lads get a chance?
Prodigal son

Postby Ian Livesey » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:18 am

Prodigal son wrote:Several players were very good in last nights game, Harry Pratt was excellent alongside Likoy Elumba and scored the opening goal, there was an outstanding central defender named Evans, Smith and Lenehan played well. Don't think any member of the Management were present. It was a very good game to watch. But will these lads get a chance?

That's terrible. Surely one of our 3 could've gone to watch as Likoy-Elumba is a first team player. Hopefully they'll get the feedback he deserves to at least give him a half.
Ian Livesey
Site Admin

Postby andrewa » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:10 pm

Given the very successful Under21 team that we have and the junior structure that has been set up, surely one of the seniormanagement should have been tasked with liason. If there isn't a formal link between the First team management and the junior sides then what is the point. Maybe there is and I'm being over judgemental, but if there isn't it's scandalous.
andrewa

Postby chewy380 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:32 pm

The fact none of the management team bother with the u21s show they've absolutely no interest in recruiting anyone from them. If the 1st team were flying there wouldn't be a good reson for their ignorance as it stands it's utterly depressing.
chewy380

Postby Tempie » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:37 pm

David Chadwick should be the next manager of chorley fc. He's doing a great job with the u21s. He gets results and gets them playing the right way with an attention to detail. Watch him during the games! He's constantly talking to the players and they get a telling off for silly offsides or silly decisions.
Tempie

Postby andrewa » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:45 pm

Got to ask what his view is of the whole set up. Does he speak to the first team management? Sounds like he is doing a great job, but how long before - 1. He gets an offer from another team and 2. He gets disillusioned with the lack of progression opportunities for his talented young players?
andrewa

Postby Tempie » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:17 pm

I sort of got that impression from his post match interview. I don't know what the situation is. I speak to Jordan southworth sometimes and he does get spoken to by 1st team management to be fair but actions speak louder than words. I know he was gutted to be left on the bench for the whole game against Ashton athletic in the lancs cup semi whilst mcdaid played. There is certainly a situation now where it's required for our young players to play in the development squad and then go out on loan before any 1st team potential involvement. I say potential because none have actually been given a first team chance. For me that kind of negates the point of the development squad! We might as well sign a young player and send them out on loan with a recall option. Anyway it's just the way it is at the moment. But mr Chadwick is doing a great job.
Tempie

Postby toploader999 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:03 pm

chaiman was watchin :lol:
toploader999

Return to Chorley FC