Boston- no tea party

Talk about the Magpies. Be respectful to others, no swearing, insulting posts or libellous remarks please.

Moderators: Ian Livesey, Pete Rothwell, Moderators

Boston- no tea party

Postby andrewa » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:12 am

Thought I would start a Boston thread. This is never an easy away trip, will the addition of Matty Hughes change the way we play in any way, will he go straight in the team?
Will there be any under 21's in the squad?
andrewa

Re: Boston- no tea party

Postby chewy380 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:17 am

Hopefully. Yes. No.
chewy380

Postby andrewa » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:25 am

You sound like a man who knows the ways of the manager!
andrewa

Postby Prodigal son » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:36 am

I think Chewy has got it spot on, Matty Hughes playing wide will change our approach, I expect him to be included from the start and don't expect any U21's to be included in the squad. I am more confident of a decent result at Boston now that Hughes has been signed. COYM
Prodigal son

Postby Tempie » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:47 am

Hopefully a change in system. It shouldn't take fans to point out the problems though. I hope Hughes won't get any ban for his betting. The bold move should be 442 with Jarvis and Hughes as the wingers. I doubt that will happen and I suspect it'll be 433 but we still don't have a target man for that system. Let's see.
Tempie

Postby blackcountrymagpie » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:52 pm

Josh o'keefe starts. Is Jansen for real???????
blackcountrymagpie

Postby Tempie » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:02 pm

Are people going to start listening to me yet? The guy is a nice bloke but he's clueless!! and I mean REALLY clueless.
Tempie

Postby man in the stand » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:32 pm

Brackley, Bradford, York and Darlington coming up. Relegation battle, anyone?
man in the stand

Postby Prodigal son » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:20 pm

Didn't go today, so can't really comment on the game, but how can a player who is unfit be started (Leather), then have to go off after 11 minutes, that is poor Management. How the hell does O'Keefe get a game at all, let alone a start. We will have to manage without Leather next Saturday anyway as he is suspended. I hope I am wrong but a long hard season is ahead and we will be lucky to see 600 on Victory Park next week, especially as the prices have gone up by 20% this season. The price is not a grumble of mine personally but plenty folk will be affected by the increase, especially when the entertainment value is well down.
Prodigal son

Postby Ed » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:04 pm

Time to bring in youth. Pace. Hughes helps but he and Wilson seemed liveliest players in 2nd half and they're no whippets.

Boston deserved to win but I doubt they'll be in top 10.

Where are the new Darren Stephensons and Shelton Paynes of 2017? We need to find one.
Ed

Postby chewy380 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:35 pm

Anyone fancy getting a MIS Table in the new lounge?
chewy380

Postby andrewa » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:08 pm

Ed wrote:Time to bring in youth. Pace. Hughes helps but he and Wilson seemed liveliest players in 2nd half and they're no whippets.

Boston deserved to win but I doubt they'll be in top 10.

Where are the new Darren Stephensons and Shelton Paynes of 2017? We need to find one.

There have either left the club or are on loan elsewhere.
I wasn't there but it seems the management have run out of ideas with the current group of players, having been "found out" by other teams.
It's interesting if you read other club forums we are ( allowing for bias of course) frequently referred to as "dross" and often in more explicit terms. Does this not give an indication when you look at how other supporters see us.
andrewa

Postby Tempie » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:46 pm

I'll join you in the new lounge. Andrew we where dross last season but the difference is now we aren't getting results either. We were classed as long ball thugs. Every manger and every referee knows it now. As I said on Facebook things started going downhill after Sefton left! I know he was terrible!! But other teams didn't and his physical presence attracted attention from at least two defenders which created space for other players. It only get better when Sampson came. At the moment we are banging long balls to small strikers and there's also no threat in behind with pace. Centre backs must love playing us! It's easy! I absolutely hate this formation and tactics but if we are going to stick with it we need a striker like dean, cosgrove, Gonzales, Denton, Sampson etc that stature.
Tempie

Postby Ian R » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:08 pm

Tempie wrote:I'll join you in the new lounge. Andrew we where dross last season but the difference is now we aren't getting results either. We were classed as long ball thugs. Every manger and every referee knows it now. As I said on Facebook things started going downhill after Sefton left! I know he was terrible!! But other teams didn't and his physical presence attracted attention from at least two defenders which created space for other players. It only get better when Sampson came. At the moment we are banging long balls to small strikers and there's also no threat in behind with pace. Centre backs must love playing us! It's easy! I absolutely hate this formation and tactics but if we are going to stick with it we need a striker like dean, cosgrove, Gonzales, Denton, Sampson etc that stature.

Totally agree Temple,fans will put up with attritional football if you are getting results soon as you get worked out by the opposition and results go against you it's like watching park football.Its the best squad of players I have seen at VP but not suited to play the system we are playing.The management team stated that this season started the day after play off final and promotion was the aim,well I am no Alex Ferguson but if this style of football continues promotion is a pipedream,attendances drop like a stone and all the good work going on off the field means nothing.
Ian R

Postby Ed » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:06 pm

Ian R wrote:
Tempie wrote:I'll join you in the new lounge. Andrew we where dross last season but the difference is now we aren't getting results either.The management team stated that this season started the day after play off final and promotion was the aim,well I am no Alex Ferguson but if this style of football continues promotion is a pipedream,attendances drop like a stone and all the good work going on off the field means nothing.

4 points from 5 games equates to approx 36 points all season. Unfortunately that's relegation form!
Ed

Postby Ian Livesey » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:57 pm

We do listen to you Tempie. Where's toploader999 when you need him (NOT)? Probably on duty today
Ian Livesey
Site Admin

Postby Ian Livesey » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:58 pm

Prodigal son wrote:Didn't go today, so can't really comment on the game, but how can a player who is unfit be started (Leather), then have to go off after 11 minutes, that is poor Management. How the hell does O'Keefe get a game at all, let alone a start. We will have to manage without Leather next Saturday anyway as he is suspended. I hope I am wrong but a long hard season is ahead and we will be lucky to see 600 on Victory Park next week, especially as the prices have gone up by 20% this season. The price is not a grumble of mine personally but plenty folk will be affected by the increase, especially when the entertainment value is well down.

That isn't the first time that's happened under Jansen (Teague last season)
Ian Livesey
Site Admin

Postby Ian Livesey » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:58 pm

chewy380 wrote:Anyone fancy getting a MIS Table in the new lounge?

You've got to be kidding. Are you?
Ian Livesey
Site Admin

Postby Ian Livesey » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:02 pm

The reason we're keeping Jansen is because he is a crowd puller. A big name that will bring us money in the long term from sponsors than someone who isn't as big wouldn't. The longer we keep Jansen, the further we'll sink. It's OK saying "oh we go again next time" only for us to fall further behind and lose again (Jansen said this on Tues, and last Sat)

WHEN WILL PEOPLE OPEN THEIR EYES AND STOP LOOKING THROUGH THEIR ROSE TINTED SPECS.

Any other manager would've been sacked by now. So sorry Matt, you're a nice guy but I think this season might be a step too far.

Don't bother pulling me up on this because all you have to do is ask any other fan who has been to the games to see where we're heading.
As for Jamie Vermiglio once saying "when we win everyone is bouncing and when we lose no one wants to know you in the clubhouse after the game". I said hello to Jamie after the game in their club and all I got was a grunt. Well I'm on the verge of giving you all up. UNTIL SOMETHING CHANGES
Ian Livesey
Site Admin

Postby Away days » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:01 am

We have no plan B other than to sling 3 forwards on when Jordan gets tired
Away days

Postby andrewa » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:33 am

We often hear that "it's a brilliant dressing room" from Matt Jansen. Whenever a manager says that I worry. It means they are all becoming mates, which in turn leads to the team becoming an exclusive club, which then leads to statements about new players buying into the team ethic. What also worries me, apart from the style of football, which is easily worked out by any decent coach, is that this team ethic prevents change and development. It's impossible for younger players to break through and for new players to integrate- unless their personality fits with the rest. Promising youngsters spend 90 minutes sitting on the bench - if they're lucky.
What also happens is certain players appear bullet proof, in turn the fans start to turn on them and then the management develop a seige mentality "us against them" - "them" being not the opposition but the fans. Once this mentality sets in change becomes even less likely and you get statements like " we go again next week" indicating that there is in fact no "plan b" no new ideas and the only way forward is by digging in.
This is not healthy and needs to be changed before we sink into deep trouble.
andrewa

Postby Tempie » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:29 am

Fantastic people are starting to get it! Ian you are spot on about Matt Jansen! Big name! But does he really need or want this job? Life must be very comfortable living in the leafy Cheshire suburbs with the other pros and ex pros, does he go up to bacup borough on a Tuesday night or Radcliffe? I don't think so he most probably puts the log burner on! He doesn't even watch our u21's. I'll tell where he goes if ever! Macclesfield's reserve because it on the doorstep! Hence Sampson, Cowan and branagan last season all mid season signings.

The overwhelming majority of signings are ex league players that have been released a dozen time. No doubt there agent will have been on the phone and a deal done without ever seeing them play! I mean cofie and mcdaid what was all that about!!!

When I went to atherton collieries for the friendley our Facebook group was laughing and making comments because salfords managers had come to watch the game. Get real!!! At least they were there!!! Watching teams!!doing their job!! because they care!! Our own manager wasn't even there he was on holiday. So he didn't see Jordan darr produce a game full of pace and skill or the fact he played on, tracking back and chasing every ball with a wrist broken in 3 places! We've had lies, lies and more lies. "Development squad knocking on the door" RUBBISH
Tempie

Postby chewy380 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:33 am

Ian Livesey wrote:
chewy380 wrote:Anyone fancy getting a MIS Table in the new lounge?

You've got to be kidding. Are you?

Yes I am joking. It would make the pre game Q & A sessions tasty though :D God help them trying to sell that place when there's only 800 poor people watching.
chewy380

Postby Paul Brennan » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:40 am

andrewa wrote:We often hear that "it's a brilliant dressing room" from Matt Jansen. Whenever a manager says that I worry. It means they are all becoming mates, which in turn leads to the team becoming an exclusive club, which then leads to statements about new players buying into the team ethic. What also worries me, apart from the style of football, which is easily worked out by any decent coach, is that this team ethic prevents change and development. It's impossible for younger players to break through and for new players to integrate- unless their personality fits with the rest. Promising youngsters spend 90 minutes sitting on the bench - if they're lucky.
What also happens is certain players appear bullet proof, in turn the fans start to turn on them and then the management develop a seige mentality "us against them" - "them" being not the opposition but the fans. Once this mentality sets in change becomes even less likely and you get statements like " we go again next week" indicating that there is in fact no "plan b" no new ideas and the only way forward is by digging in.
This is not healthy and needs to be changed before we sink into deep trouble.

Top post Andrew-one of the most incisive and thought provoking made on here. Your'e right that building a team ethic has disadvantages if it is not carefully handled. Everyone wants and needs to be treated fairly -given their chance, their problems understood or at least recognised, issues addressed "without fear or favour" etc. That goes for any organisation in any area of life. 'Teams' can easily become cliques -I really hope that we are not going down that road at CFC.

Thinking about recriutment as Tempie addresses in his latest post -Q how many of the CFC 'successes' of recent years came from the same level or above? It's a matter of opinion what constitutes a success but my view is:
Deano, Jake, Teaguey, Darren Stephenson, Sam A, Leather, Challoner
The rest -Hine, Mather, O'Brien, Ross, Dorney, Whitham, Baker, Roscoe, Foster, Russell were recruited from lower league teams -were they "more hungry"?
True some -Connerton, Gonzales, Burns for example- don't work out -so a theory of "lower league = success. higher league = comparative failure" is obviously simplistic.
But have we recruited well in the recent past is a question that is worth discussing.
Paul Brennan

Postby Tempie » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:57 am

Also Paul it's how you measure success. Connerton and burns more than likely had better goal to game ratio for us than any of our current strikers.
Tempie

Postby carlfromeccleston » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:10 am

Didn't go yesterday - first away game missed in many a season - just couldn't face the combination of our poor play, the distance, the *no swearing please* welcome generally dished out at Boston etc..

Instead, I opted for a local game - Charnock Richard vs Squires Gate in the NW Counties Premier.

What a breath of fresh air, I had seen CR play a few times last season when they were promoted from NW Div 1 at first time of asking and they have continued where they left off - battering Squires Gate with some really good pass and move football, two excellent wingers and two forwards who know where the net is. They were 5 up on the hour mark (but for the SG keeper it could have been 10) and Andy Westwell did something that I can never see MJ doing (assuming we ever got in such a comfortable position) - he subbed three for three fringe players to give them game time. Okay SG got two back but one was a monumental GK cock up and the second a good run and finish. FS 5-2 great entertainment. CR have played three league games - won them all and are top of the league with 14 goals scored and 6 conceded. Noticed a few familiar Chorley faces watching and can imagine if Chorley's season carries on in the current direction there may be a few more soon.

Oh and the locals are far friendlier than in Lincolnshire.
carlfromeccleston
MIS Prediction League Winner 2010/11

Postby Prodigal son » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:01 am

Well, it seems we owe MJ some thanks for thing he has managed to do.... He has brought MIS back to life, not to mention the similar reactions on the FB page. At the risk of being repetitive I want yo see one or two of the younger players (U21) given a go, it's not going to happen of course, as I doubt MJ even knows who they are. Interestingly I was told on Thursday evening that we have difficulty hanging on to these young players as there are clubs sniffing around offering them £80- £100 pw and we are unable to do that. If other clubs see the value of these youngsters why don't we? Probably because the first team Management don't watch them play.
Bet the 1883 Lounge will be bursting at the seams next Saturday. Gate likely to be less than 600 though!
Prodigal son

Postby Tempie » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:02 pm

Carl your points are spot on!! Three quarters of the people that went to Halifax were just non league fans not chorley fans. They will simply go and watch another local side. It's time for change! We need a manager that cares what the fans want, that cares about the long term success of the club. Graham and Ken need to get the whole club together and tell people to start doing their jobs or ship out! The communication is shocking, the media is shocking, the pitch is shocking. It need sorting and sorting now!
Tempie

Postby andrewa » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:05 pm

Prodigal son wrote:Well, it seems we owe MJ some thanks for thing he has managed to do.... He has brought MIS back to life, not to mention the similar reactions on the FB page. At the risk of being repetitive I want yo see one or two of the younger players (U21) given a go, it's not going to happen of course, as I doubt MJ even knows who they are. Interestingly I was told on Thursday evening that we have difficulty hanging on to these young players as there are clubs sniffing around offering them £80- £100 pw and we are unable to do that. If other clubs see the value of these youngsters why don't we? Probably because the first team Management don't watch them play.
Bet the 1883 Lounge will be bursting at the seams next Saturday. Gate likely to be less than 600 though!

If the club are not careful the whole lot will go into a complete downward spiral - results wise and in terms of income.
Young players are the future - financially and in terms of playing structure. Can the club management and directors not see this?
We cannot compete financially with the Salfords of this world and nobody would expect miracles from a team made up of raw talent guided by some mature experienced professionals,. I think I'm right in saying most fans want to see young players developing, it might not always work out but its better than the "dross" and "thuggish" fotball we are becoming known for.
andrewa

Postby Prodigal son » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:28 pm

Andrew, you are spot on, I had the pleasure of watching the U21's on Thursday, it was a fast, flowing display with lots of pace, endeavour and plenty of skill. I don't know all the players by name but have to mention a centre back called Evans who was outstanding, in midfield Smith did very well and Pratt and Likoy-Elumba were very good up front, not to mention young Jordan Darr who has a broken wrist from the friendly against Atherton Colls. These lads need encouraging, they can't all play at once but must be drafted in and given some game time as soon as possible. When will our management team start watching them play? Glad to say there were Board Members in attendance.
Prodigal son

Next

Return to Chorley FC