Chorley V York City

Talk about the Magpies. Be respectful to others, no swearing, insulting posts or libellous remarks please.

Moderators: Ian Livesey, Pete Rothwell, Moderators

Chorley V York City

Postby Charlie Magpie » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:26 pm

Credit to the commercial team for their response to Saturday's 'golden' opportunity to attract a sizable crowd to Victory Park for the visit of York City.

Once again, we have been lucky on international weekend with a lucrative home fixture against a former league club. There is little else for supporters of local Premier and League clubs to do this Saturday, with England in action on Friday evening, other than to come to Victory Park and take advantage of the very generous offers available.

To re-cap, holders of a current season ticket for Premier or EFL clubs will be admitted for the concessionary rate of £9.00 on production of their season ticket at the turnstile. Usual admission prices apply, including FREE admission for under 12's.

Please help to support the club by spreading the word to PNE, Rovers, Wanderers, even City and United supporters and encourage them to come along to Victory Park and experience what non-league football has got to offer at a very reasonable price.

With beers at £2.00 a pint from 12.30 to 2.00pm, penalty shoot-out for the kids and even a silver band in attendance, it promises to be a great family day out.

Let's hope a positive effort from us, the supporters, leads to a positive response from the players and our first home win of the season!!
Charlie Magpie

Re: Chorley V York City

Postby andrewa » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:20 pm

Yes that's a great being done marketing the game, let's hope there's a great turnout and an equally great result.
andrewa

Postby Jeff » Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:03 pm

But where is the incentive for a Bolton season ticket holder over the age of 65 to attend.
Jeff

Postby Ed » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:51 pm

£2pint
Ed

Postby Charlie Magpie » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:26 am

WOW!!
Perfect day for watching local football!
So much work going on behind the scenes at Chorley FC - Matt Jansen adding new players to his squad, the commercial team improving the spectator experience with special offers, concessions on admission and activities for all the family.

Time for us supporters to do our bit by encouraging friends, family, fellow football supporters to come along to Victory Park and see what's on offer. There is no better way for the club to increase revenue than a few hundred extra spectators through the turnstiles. Even the weather could not be better!!

Can we edge towards the 1,500 or even the 2,000 mark?

Chorley v York City, we could only have dreamed about such a league fixture 7 or 8 years ago.

COME ON TEAM CHORLEY!
Charlie Magpie

Postby mike1 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:47 pm

[quote="Charlie Magpie"]WOW!!
Perfect day for watching local football!

And perfect result too! For those in far-flung locations, what you have read is not a misprint. We definitely scored two goals, the second one a cracker and on the day were too good for a York team lacking the fire to overcome a Chorley side working tremendously hard for each other. And, yes! there was excitement as well. We actually looked like scoring when we attacked repeatedly in an impressive first half. The new boy Nick Haughton is himself an exciting prospect in midfield, driving the team forward and unlucky not to score a couple himself. Second half we didn't create as much, preferring no doubt to keep thing extra-tight. Haughton was withdrawn after about 65 minutes, which was probably a factor. But we rarely looked like conceding and were well worth the win.Dizzy heights of 14th now! special mention for Matt Urwin whose anticipation and handling wwere excellent throughout. If I were a York fan, I'd have been very disappointed and many of them clearlywere, voicing their anger and frustration towards the end and at the final whistle. Well done to one and all, both the CFC players and the management trio! Great stuff!
mike1

Postby andrewa » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:51 pm

Thanks for your report Mike, much appreciated!

Lookslike the clouds have lifted and things could be on the up. Nice to see the news about under 21s being included in the 1st team squad too, like to think it's due to fan power but who knows, at least it's happening!
andrewa

Postby chewy380 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:53 pm

Teague into the middle Whittham out of the middle. Long may it continue.
chewy380

Postby Charlie Magpie » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:33 pm

Lots of positives from today's game against York City.

Nick Haughton, despite his youthful looks, played with confidence and enthusiasm. Some lovely touches and prepared to take players on. Ran his heart out, it was almost like having two Jake Cottrells in midfield! We've got him for the season so expect more from him once he gets used to playing alongside his new team-mates.

Matt Urwin, I would have chosen Branagan as our number one 'keeper after the pre-season friendlies. However, Matt Jansen chose wisely and Urwin recorded his third consecutive clean sheet today. At least three super saves to snub out any threat from the Minstermen.

Teaguey was a tower of strength in the middle at the back. Won almost every ball in the air and gave their forwards very few chances to get into the game.

A brace for Josh Wilson should give him the confidence to push forwards and increase his goal tally. Well supported by an energetic Marcus Carver up front.

Superb attendance of 1,294 - actually think it might have been slightly more! Did we have many league club season ticket holders taking advantage of the £9.00 concessionary admission price?

Lively trade in the social club before the match with both sets of supporters enjoying a drink shoulder to shoulder. It will be interesting to hear whether the £2.00 a pint offer helped to boost the takings.

I could go on, but, hang on, I thought we were having a silver band playing today? Where were they - my day is ruined!! Just goes to show you can always find a negative if you look hard enough!!

Let's hope for a similar performance on Tuesday evening against Darlington, silver band or no silver band!! :D
Charlie Magpie

Postby Ian Livesey » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:28 am

My daughter came to the football partly because of the silver band, but left disappointed. Oh well

Cracking game of football though. Long may THAT continue, and trust me, we won't moan as much if we play like that every game.
Ian Livesey
Site Admin

Postby Prodigal son » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:28 am

No grumbles from me after that performance, Haughton really caught the eye, took players on, quick to find space and always available, what a find, and we have him for the season! Very well done to Josh O'Keefe, (I am not his biggest fan) who really played well as did the whole team, really could mention them all, Josh Wilson looked settled at last up front with Marcus, probably due to Haughton being in the space just behind the front two, and two very well taken goals. Couple of first class saves again from Urwin, that apart defence very solid. Teaguey looked back to his best against "the beast", and had him well shackled.
Terrific all round performance, well done to everyone, including the Management team. COYM
Prodigal son

Postby Ed » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:26 pm

Walker and Haughton showed some good interplay to cut through York's defence for brief interval before Haughton subbed.
Would like to see them together more.

Also today Matt seemed to make greater use of subs throughout game, not just for 5 minutes at end.
Ed

Postby Ed » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:40 pm

One comment though. I paid more for medium tea at VP than on London Bridge station. £2 in a polystyrene cup.
I'd expect China teaset for that. And a table to sit at.
A tea bag plus hot water plus staff time + 400% markup perhaps.

They said we'd see changes around our ground this season but this is more than most grounds eg Boston £1.

When FCUM were at Bury and Gloucester at Cheltenham fans faced these rip-off prices. But Magpies' Nest?
Ed

Postby mike1 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:46 pm

According to the York website, out-of-favour and transfer-listed wideman Aidan Connolly is wanted by Chorley. One wag has asked if a swap deal for one of our defenders could be arranged!
mike1

Postby Ian Livesey » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:24 pm

Ed wrote:One comment though. I paid more for medium tea at VP than on London Bridge station. £2 in a polystyrene cup.

They said we'd see changes around our ground this season but this is more than most grounds eg Boston £1.

When FCUM were at Bury and Gloucester at Cheltenham fans faced these rip-off prices. But Magpies' Nest?

Magpies Nest has nothing to do with the club and is run by a separate franchise
Ian Livesey
Site Admin

Postby Ed » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:35 pm

Ed wrote:One comment though. I paid more for medium tea at VP than on London Bridge station. £2 in a polystyrene cup.

CORRECTION. I'm told tea is only £1.20.
I must have misread the display of prices or been over excited at the display on pitch.
Ed

Return to Chorley FC