Chorley v Darlington

Talk about the Magpies. Be respectful to others, no swearing, insulting posts or libellous remarks please.

Moderators: Ian Livesey, Pete Rothwell, Moderators

Chorley v Darlington

Postby Charlie Magpie » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:26 pm

Let's get the topic going in the build-up to tonight's game!

Hopefully, same again following on from Saturday's great performance against York City. I'm looking forward to a gutsy performance from Nick Haughton, a goal or two from Carver and Wilson, and another clean sheet for Urwin.

Promises to be a great game and, hopefully, a large and lively crowd cheering the Magpies to victory!
Charlie Magpie

Re: Chorley v Darlington

Postby ste faz » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:16 pm

Charlie Magpie nearly got all his wishes.
No goal for the superb Carver and no clean sheet but in all other respects it was a MAJESTIC performance.
ste faz

Postby chewy380 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:26 pm

How long does Tempie's holiday last? Hope it's a world cruise :wink:
Unbelievable from where we were 3 weeks ago.
chewy380

Postby Ian R » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:44 pm

Credit where it's due,wow how good was that,not seen a performance like that for many,many years.CEO that is what puts bums on seats.Should have a fans forum whenever we have a poor patch
Ian R

Postby mike1 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:00 am

ste faz wrote:Charlie Magpie nearly got all his wishes.
No goal for the superb Carver and no clean sheet but in all other respects it was a MAJESTIC performance.

Spot on, Ste. What a fabulous display of relentless attacking football. We looked capable of scoring every time we attacked and quite frankly tore Darlington's 'defence' to ribbons in an astonishing first half. Without a hint of exaggeration it could have been ten. As Ste mentions the super-energetic Marcus Carver was a real presence - if only he could be more relied upon to finish he would be the real deal. From clear chances he was given he should have had a hat-trick himself. Among other chances, there was a header off the line early on, Adam Blakeman hit a superb trademark shot which cannoned of the bar, Josh O'Keefe could not convert when sent clean through, we should have had a second penalty in the second half (foul on Walker), O'Keefe struck a post and the keeper pulled off a real worldie to deny Blakeman from a thunderous cross-shot. The Darlington goal had other escapes but that will do for now. Nick Haughton is a top signing and is always in the game, creating openings and threatening to score himself. It was the least he deserved when he scored the fourth - to the obvious delight of all his team-mates. His arrival, together with a tweak in the formation, has galvanised the whole team. We are a totally different proposition from a couple of weeks ago and more teams are going to take a hammering on tonight's evidence. How the crowd loved it and how joyfully they sang in the second half. Great turn-out too for a Tuesday night of 1,011. The Magpies are well and truly back, though I mustn't get carried away, of course! :D
mike1

Postby Charlie Magpie » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:06 am

DOUBLE WOW!!

Tonight's performance reminded me of the first few weeks of the Flitcroft era when Tom Ince and Jack Dorney tore defences apart and scored for fun!

For me the key difference over the last two games has been the introduction of Nick Haughton who is a class act and worth the admission price on his own. One instance summed it all up - Haughton took control of the ball in his own half of the field, Teaguey called for the ball to be passed back to him but Haughton chose to dribble forwards at speed drawing defenders towards him and creating space for a through ball to Carver who thrived on his service tonight. Jason Walker produced his best performance of the season and seemed to thrive on Haughton's supply.

It could have been 6 or 7 - Blakeman's drive from about 40 yards scraped the top of the bar, and Carver and O'Keefe should have done better when it was 1 on 1 with their keeper, oh, and someone hit the post!

The fans really had plenty to sing about tonight. Four games without defeat, great entertainment, let's hope we can keep the momentum going until next April!
Charlie Magpie

Postby chewy380 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:49 am

Considering the rain we had yesterday the pitch held up remarkably well, congratulations to who's looking after it.
chewy380

Postby Tempie » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:13 am

Chewy- my holiday was only 4 days. I've been here all the time! Just too busy to post. I prepared the pitch for the game with jono doing the white line markings.

I've not been avoiding posting it's just I literally haven't stopped since Saturday morning. These 2 performances have been simply outstanding. The shackles were off and every single player expressed themselves and showed just how good they are!
Tempie

Postby andrewa » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:26 am

Can't comment on anything, which is good news as it appears everything is going really well. Let's hope for it to continue and no injuries. Let's hope those younger players are encouraged to be involved and learn from the senior members of the squad.
Wish I could make it for the occasional game!
andrewa

Postby Prodigal son » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:45 pm

Wow, what a game to miss, but there it is, will miss Saturday too due to the little matter of a Wedding Anniversary but stick to it lads and same again please for Saturday, what a pleasure seeing the tweets, couldn't get Ian's commentary due to a crap internet connection.
COYM!
Prodigal son

Postby andrewa » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:44 pm

The Darlington You Tube of the game is excellent, balanced and intelligent. Reading their forum my impression is that their fans are like that too.
andrewa

Return to Chorley FC