Blyth Spartans away

Talk about the Magpies. Be respectful to others, no swearing, insulting posts or libellous remarks please.

Moderators: Ian Livesey, Pete Rothwell, Moderators

Blyth Spartans away

Postby mark » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:24 pm

It doesn't sound good on paper: a 2-0 defeat with Scott Leather suffering a head injury and Stephen Jordan sent off. However it's a very tough Tuesday night fixture with the travelling, and Blyth were coming off a big win against Boston.
mark
Site Admin

Re: Blyth Spartans away

Postby carlfromeccleston » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:03 am

Matt Jansen's audio boo with Josh (nice to see you back) summed it up really.

Yes BS were the better side in H1 but as some locals behind me commented regularly they cannot finish and we looked dangerous on the counter.

Three consecutive poor decisions cost us the lead (and ultimately the game, the second was a defensive mistake as we were chasing an equaliser with 10 men) with a massive deflection off a BS defender's chest which could both be seen and heard by everyone in the ground - with the exception of the linesman who as usual either wasn't watching or had gone temporarily deaf. This was quickly followed by a foul on Carver for a perfectly good tackle (and a Yellow Card), and from the resulting free kick three BS players offside when the header went in.

Whilst (to the no doubt great surprise of those who know me) I cannot condone verbal abuse of the referee by the players - Stephen Jordan felt rightly justified in expressing his opinion to the ref - not sure the words that I understand were said warranted a straight red though.

The ref wasn't finished there as he failed to award a penalty to CFC when a foul was committed five yards inside the box but the ensuing free kick mysteriously took place an inch outside the box - hang your head in shame again lino (yes, you guessed it, the same one that suffered temporary blindness / deafness 10 mins earlier).

BS are a strong team who play some good football and will be in and around the play-offs if the travelling doesn't take its toll as the season wears on.

A long trip but enjoyable, BS are a friendly bunch and they have a good ground and set up, nice clubhouse. Well worth a trip but probably better on a Saturday.

Now for a FA Cup run ..... please
carlfromeccleston
MIS Prediction League Winner 2010/11

Postby Soapbox » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:16 am

The referee was a local one and this is his first season at this level - sounds like a 'homer'
Soapbox

Postby ste faz » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:29 am

Soapbox wrote:The referee was a local one and this is his first season at this level - sounds like a 'homer'

I am not sure how the league allocate referees at this level,but I imagine that in view of Blyth's location most referees are likely to be based nearer to Blyth than to the opposition and this may be true of Mr. Dean Hulme (remember the name).
If this is true then BS have a (first) clear advantage; two others were poor white markings hardly visible from the stands (an excuse for Mr.Hulme and his cohorts), but also a very wide pitch which BS used to full advantage.They played the ball out from the back,down the flanks passing into space for players to run onto.Chorley did this sporadically, but more often than not it was long high balls giving us at best only a 50/50 chance of winning it (understandable when down to 10, but we did this in1st half as well).
Blyth Spartans were a positive, dynamic side who fully deserved their win.
ste faz

Postby Prodigal son » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:49 am

Read on another forum from a Blyth fan, who incidentally was not complimentary toward the Referee, that Jordan was sent off for dissent following an earlier yellow card, can someone who was there confirm Jordan had been previously booked, might explain dismissal for dissent, and would also mean just missing one game.
Prodigal son

Postby Tempie » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:30 pm

One thing we don't want to get into the habit of doing is substituting nick haughton because "it wasn't his type of game" he's the one player that we have that can unlock a defence. He's our best player. We need to build this seasons team around him. Against the best teams we need to have our strongest side on the pitch. Yes understandable after 75-80min but not halftime. If you concede (which we did) after you've taken your best attacking threat off, then what do you do? It's tactical descisions like that which mean I'm unlikely to ever warm to Matts management style. I just don't like that conservative approach. We can blame the ref all we want but the fact is they are all crap! We got a lucky penalty a week ago against Darlington. Onwards to the FA cup now and we need one of those defenders back from Rochdale.
Tempie

Postby mike1 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:45 pm

[quote="Tempie"]One thing we don't want to get into the habit of doing is substituting nick haughton because "it wasn't his type of game" he's the one player that we have that can unlock a defence. He's our best player. We need to build this seasons team around him. Against the best teams we need to have our strongest side on the pitch. Yes understandable after 75-80min but not halftime. If you concede (which we did) after you've taken your best attacking threat off, then what do you do?

Couldn't agree more, Tempie! The transformation in our play with Nick in the team against York and Darlington was hugely significant. He gives a completely different balance to the team.
mike1

Postby Prodigal son » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:58 pm

Totally agree with Tempie view on Nick Haughton, we need to be adventurous.
Prodigal son

Postby Away days » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:48 pm

Does make me wonder how terry gornell would have done in the side with Nick haughton behind him keeping the ball on the ground
Away days

Postby ste faz » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:21 pm

Away days wrote:Does make me wonder how terry gornell would have done in the side with Nick haughton behind him keeping the ball on the ground

Good call "away days" both players have vision as well as talent; they could have been formidable together.
ste faz

Postby Tempie » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:20 am

Just don't want to slip back to that 'safety first' attitude. Play nick and let him sit high up the pitch, jake and josh can track back. Don't ruin him by asking him to do things outside what he's good at. If he's tracked back at he gets the ball on the edge of our own box then he can't hurt teams. If he gets it near the halfway line then he'll scare teams to death.
Tempie

Return to Chorley FC