Boston United tie

Talk about the Magpies. Be respectful to others, no swearing, insulting posts or libellous remarks please.

Moderators: Ian Livesey, Pete Rothwell, Moderators

Boston United tie

Postby mike1 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:46 pm

Best odds : Chorley 4/6; draw 31/10; Boston 4/1. With confidence as high as it is, we should be able to win this one, without taking anything for granted in the FA Cup, of course. Judging from the video of Boston's game at Telford last Saturday, they didn't look particularly threatening in attack and their away form is very poor. If the players are on their game, we surely have every chance.
mike1

Re: Boston United tie

Postby Ian Livesey » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:16 pm

Nerves are kicking in already. Can see me being up at 4am on Saturday as per usual with these big games.
Ian Livesey
Site Admin

Postby Ed » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:42 pm

I was impressed at Boston with their no 9. Short compared to most strikers but could turn quickly in box. The second goal v Chorley was a real poacher's strike from a long throw into box.
Ed

Postby Ian Livesey » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:53 am

Ed wrote:I was impressed at Boston with their no 9. Short compared to most strikers but could turn quickly in box. The second goal v Chorley was a real poacher's strike from a long throw into box.

Kabongo Tshimanga. A commentators nightmare
Ian Livesey
Site Admin

Postby mike1 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:00 pm

A missed opportunity. Boston's intentions were quite clear from the first minute, yet we lacked the wit and the guile to go about the job of breaking them down. Pumping balls in the general direction of their penalty box was not going to be the answer. Exactly what has Matty Hughes, an expert in getting behind defences from a wide position, to do to get some realistic game-time? He should have been used from at least half-time when a change of tactics was clearly required. There were two or three of our players not at the races yesterday and in a cup-tie of such importance that's too many. There were options on the bench and it was not necessary to be carrying passengers. The referee should have clamped down on time-wasting from the very first Boston goal-kick. A verbal warning would have been in order followed by a booking early on for any repetition - but the keeper got away with it all afternoon. That said, from where I was sitting, we were fortunate not to conceded a penalty seconds before their left-back was sent off - no doubt still seething at a perceived injustice! But Boston were so poor as an attacking force that provided the players arrive at York Street in the right frame of mind (and don't start as slowly as they did yesterday) there is no reason why Tuesday's replay cannot be an away win.
mike1

Postby Ian Livesey » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:08 pm

Nail on the head again as usual Mike
Ian Livesey
Site Admin

Postby Tempie » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:31 pm

I can't really comment because I've been away on holiday, I think we will win on Tuesday but the lack of goals is still a major concern. Surely it's time for Hughes to start and move Wilson back to midfield.
Tempie

Postby blackcountrymagpie » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:03 pm

I would start with Jason Walker up front rather Than Josh Wilson. And I would be tempted to replace O'keefe with Kofi as I know he is a right back but I would play him on the right side of midfield as we need someone that can tackle and neither Wilson or O'keefe can do that. Plus if we played it on the floor they wouldn't live with us. Obviously I would always have Roscoe ahead of O'keefe but he is either Injured or our manager doesn't rate him.
blackcountrymagpie

Postby ste faz » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:59 pm

We could not break Boston down, either away in the league or at home in the cup.
Tactics need to change; pumping balls forwveard to the penalty area isn't working.
Haughton,Hughes and (hopefully) ROK are the creative gems we possess and we need to find a way to use them more.
Hopefully the plan will come good on Tuesday.
ste faz

Postby Tempie » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:47 am

ste faz wrote:We could not break Boston down, either away in the league or at home in the cup.
Tactics need to change; pumping balls forwveard to the penalty area isn't working.
Haughton,Hughes and (hopefully) ROK are the creative gems we possess and we need to find a way to use them more.
Hopefully the plan will come good on Tuesday.

If ROK was that good he'd have played by now. Playing quicker is the way to unlock teams. Get the ball to haughton early and get bodies in the box quickly. Our play slips back to slow and ponderous and after several needless passes around the defence we up with a centre half hitting an aimless long ball.
Tempie

Postby Jeff » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:18 pm

Was ROK signed in time to play in this round of the FA Cup.
Jeff

Postby Prodigal son » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:56 pm

Look, Saturday was disappointing, as Mike1 points out we failed to break down a very determined and defensive side, not for the first time! Agree with Mike, in games like these we need more guile and this is my criticism of Jansen , he just doesn't change the game plan. Hughes should have been on much earlier, can't say about Rok as not seen him, but would love to have seen him given a go in place of O'Keefe. We never got round the back of their defence and most of our efforts were relatively long range from Haughton.
They will have to be more offensive at home so hopefully we can capitalise and win the replay but it will be hard. COYM!
Prodigal son

Postby Tempie » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:25 pm

Jeff wrote:Was ROK signed in time to play in this round of the FA Cup.

Yes he was an unused substitute. It's worrying that in the last 3 games despite dominating the opposition only nick haughton has found the net. I personally feel that Wilson is better in midfield as he still offers a goal threat from there but adds creativity. If that means that jake cotterell doesn't play then so be it. We have got to find a way of scoring more goals it's as simple as that.
Tempie

Postby mark » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:54 pm

ROK may be a fine footballer but he is a full back so hardly likely to be the key to unlock a tight defence. I do agree though that the changes came too late and didn't work. Boston deserve a lot of credit for sticking to a dour but effective game plan. It won't do them any good at home though.
mark
Site Admin

Postby Paul Brennan » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:21 am

mark wrote: Boston deserve a lot of credit for sticking to a dour but effective game plan. It won't do them any good at home though.

Now all in the past but I would prefer to use "cynical" rather than "dour" Mark -it's what I would call a "Rushall approach" -overly physical, aggressively challenging every decision, play acting whenever possible, time wasting from minute 1.
We failed to react positively enough on the day -but, to repeat a point, the pitch is very poor for playing passing football -something that Boston had no interest in doing.
Paul Brennan

Postby carlfromeccleston » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:27 pm

Well done boys .. shame I couldn't be there.

Excellent commentary by Ian on Magpiewatch - you deserve that drink.
carlfromeccleston
MIS Prediction League Winner 2010/11

Postby mark » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:57 pm

It sounds like Nick Haughton was the difference tonight, a fantastic hat trick. I look forward to seeing the highlights, and even more so to seeing Chorley play Fleetwood.
mark
Site Admin

Postby Prodigal son » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:21 pm

Absolutely unbelievable result, just seen Haughtons third, bloody incredible, the pundits would have been in raptures had it been in the Premiershit. What a player, but also what a team performance, those lads gave everything tonight, God knows how they will feel come Saturday. COYM
Prodigal son

Postby mike1 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:32 am

Prodigal son wrote:Absolutely unbelievable result, just seen Haughtons third, bloody incredible, the pundits would have been in raptures had it been in the Premiershit. What a player, but also what a team performance, those lads gave everything tonight, God knows how they will feel come Saturday. COYM

The size of the team's achievement last night cannot be overstated. The long haul to Boston in midweek is a real test in itself for a club with part-time players and when they get there everyone has to be on his game to make a decent show. Clearly these hurdles were cleared and a superb result achieved. Tremendous respect to all concerned on and off the pitch. For those fortunate enough to see it, the game will of course be an 'I was there' lifelong memory. We are so lucky to have such a special talent as Nick Haughton who in time will be remembered as one of the most exciting players to don the famous black and white shirt. It's ironic that Fleetwood should be such a 'bad' draw for us - anyone else and there wouldn't be the problem we've now got. Sam, how far away from fitness are you ?!
mike1

Postby Ed » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:27 pm

mike1 wrote:
Prodigal son wrote:Absolutely unbelievable result, just seen Haughtons third, bloody incredible, the pundits would have been in raptures had it been in the Premiershit. What a player, but also what a team performance, those lads gave everything tonight, God knows how they will feel come Saturday. COYM

. Tremendous respect to all concerned on and off the pitch. For those fortunate enough to see it, the game will of course be an 'I was there' lifelong memory. We are so lucky to have such a special talent as Nick Haughton who in time will be remembered as one of the most exciting players to don the famous black and white shirt. It's ironic that Fleetwood should be such a 'bad' draw for us - anyone else and there wouldn't be the problem we've now got. Sam, how far away from fitness are you ?!

Sam tweeted after game that he still needs a month or two.
That's the second 'I was there' game at Boston following on from Roscoe's famous 94th min bicycle kick
Ed

Postby Ed » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:32 pm

Prodigal son wrote:Absolutely unbelievable result, just seen Haughtons third COYM

Where?
Ed

Postby Tempie » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:36 pm

Well done to all!! Fantastic achievement all round!
Tempie

Postby Prodigal son » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:39 pm

Might have been his second and our third actually, somebody posted on Facebook.
Prodigal son

Postby Ed » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:50 pm

Prodigal son wrote:Might have been his second and our third actually, somebody posted on Facebook.

Goals now on Boston YouTube.
Ed

Postby mike1 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:03 am

Ed wrote:
Prodigal son wrote:Might have been his second and our third actually, somebody posted on Facebook.

Goals now on Boston YouTube.

For some reason having trouble finding the link - over to you Ed.
mike1

Postby andrewa » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:44 am

I just went to YouTube and typed in Boston v Chorley and it was there.
andrewa

Postby Junction 8 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:55 am

Junction 8

Postby Ian Livesey » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:13 pm

carlfromeccleston wrote:Well done boys .. shame I couldn't be there.

Excellent commentary by Ian on Magpiewatch - you deserve that drink.

Thank you. Drinks to be taken post match on Saturday :)
Ian Livesey
Site Admin

Postby toploader999 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:56 pm

Just watched MH sending off, the lads grabbed MH nuts ! I would have smacked him as well natural reaction
toploader999

Postby Ian Livesey » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:41 pm

toploader999 wrote:Just watched MH sending off, the lads grabbed MH nuts ! I would have smacked him as well natural reaction

...and gets a 3 game ban :(
Ian Livesey
Site Admin

Next

Return to Chorley FC