Tamworth Home

Talk about the Magpies. Be respectful to others, no swearing, insulting posts or libellous remarks please.

Moderators: Ian Livesey, Pete Rothwell, Moderators

Tamworth Home

Postby Ian Livesey » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:27 pm

Very lacklustre tonight and played at a pedestrian pace. Neither team seemed "up for it" tonight. Their goal was offside, and a clear goal for us disallowed because of a shove on their keeper. That Stephen Copeland (referee) strikes again.
Ian Livesey
Site Admin

Re: Tamworth Home

Postby Away days » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:10 am

How on earth josh wilson got MOM is beyond me. Bottled tackles, only passed backwards, barely moved and added nothing to our team. We took off our best ball playing centre half in Anson who was having a great game and left Teague on the pitch who is getting caught for pace too easily and has wayward long balls every time . Too many players with their eye on monday. I went to spennymoor and we were lazy and again tonight. Hmmm where are all these young fresh players ? Kofi ? Challinor has been poor as of late? Darr ? Carver hasnt scored for ages and needs too many chances to even bag an easy goal....his work rate and team ethic is top class.... but we need a striker..... hmmmm we go again!
Away days

Postby mike1 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:25 am

Ian Livesey wrote:Very lacklustre tonight and played at a pedestrian pace. Neither team seemed "up for it" tonight. Their goal was offside, and a clear goal for us disallowed because of a shove on their keeper. That Stephen Copeland (referee) strikes again.

Not sure that Tamworth weren't up for it Ian! I thought they definitely were in the first half when they opened us up repeatedly and far too easily bossed the midfield. We were lucky to go in level at the break. Matt clearly had to make a change and I can't agree with another post which suggests Adam Anson was totally blame-free. Mind you, any one of three or four could at that stage have been withdrawn. We did slowly improve but it took a Tamworth goal to really wake the team up. Fortunately we grabbed a quick equaliser (great goal and quality volleyed finish by Josh O'Keefe incidentally) and in the last half-hour only one side could be said to look likely to win the game. Agreed the match sponsors' choice of MOM was hard to understand as the recipient was one of the lackadaisical players in that dreadful first half. The problem of the strikers' repeated failure to score is our major handicap. Marcus and Jason are not getting on the end of anything with any sense of conviction and it seems that only Nick has a shot in him at present. That situation has to change especially if we lose him in January. Thank goodness for his contributions and basically his goals to date which have not only set up the cash windfall of the Fleetwood tie but also put us in a decent position in the league. If Nick hadn't arrived on the scene, I can't believe we would be out of the bottom six. So let's make the most of our good fortune while it lasts.
mike1

Postby Paul Brennan » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:49 am

Have to agree with much of the comments -Tamworth could, and probably should, have won as someone missed a great opportunity to double their lead and we would surely not have come back from 0-2.

Apologies if I'm repeating myself but why can't we play Adam Blakeman in midfield and utilise his craft,vision and dribbling skills?? Last night, move Anson to full back. Blakes into midfield and substitute O'Keefe for Wilson.
Sign a full back or play Jarvis or an under 21 guy there.

As for the forwards, one problem is a lack of competition for places. Patience is wearing thin on Marcus' lack of goals. But for next Monday and beyond COYM !
Paul Brennan

Postby Tempie » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:56 am

It’s nothing new. You can say whatever you want about carver but we should have known he wouldn’t score goals when we signed him. His record speaks for itself. Every team wants goalscores but the must be someone available. The main issue tho is bodies in the box. Far too many times we cross the ball and there is only one in the box. That’s the system we play. I can’t keep constantly saying the same thing!
Tempie

Postby ste faz » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:55 am

Some sad facts; neither Carver nor Walker have found the net in their last SIX games; behind Haughton our next highest scorer is Wilson (and he divides opinion);only North Ferriby have scored fewer goals than The Magpies, and where are they in the League? Clearly we have a problem!
On a positive note only Salford and Brackley have conceded fewer than us, so we MAY be able to defend.
Here's hoping to see something better against Fleetwood. COYM
ste faz

Postby Prodigal son » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:32 pm

Don't see how we will see anything better v Fleetwood, the ultra cautious Jansen will simply play O'Keefe in place of Haughton, we all know that is going to make the goals flow! Desperately hope I am way off the mark but can only see us getting well and truly turned over on Monday, whoever ends up in goal! The bench will be another one with no one that can change the game, can't understand why Roscoe stays, what does he have to do to even get 10 minutes these days, so no hope whatever for the U21's ever getting a run.
Prodigal son

Postby mike1 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:53 pm

Prodigal son wrote:Can't understand why Roscoe stays, what does he have to do to even get 10 minutes these days, so no hope whatever for the U21's ever getting a run.

Adam's problem is probably one of match fitness now! Even for ten minutes. Why not give him a run-out up front? He can hold the ball up, win headers, and he has a decent shot. Couldn't be any worse goals-wise than the current occupants of the shirts. Mustn't forget he used to be a centre-forward. It is however a trend nowadays to be successful without scoring too many goals - as long as you don't concede. Burnley are doing it (F9 A9) and they are seventh in the Prem. Newcastle likewise rely on defensive organisation and on nicking a goal. Years ago Phil Wilson won the NPL for Stalybridge mostly with 1-0 victories. Whatever line-up Matt chooses on Monday, we'll need more tenacity than last night in midfield where the injured Dale is being missed. And unfortunately Jake's engine doesn't appear to be firing on all cylinders at present which is a huge minus, such is his usual limitless energy and mileage.
mike1

Postby Paul Brennan » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:09 pm

Tempie wrote: Every team wants goalscorers but the must be someone available.

Hopefully with a free Saturday the management will be scouting some potential strikers- not for Monday but longer term.
On the Evostik goalscorers chart are Walshaw (Farsley), Chadwick (Ashton) Hancock (Altrincham) and Willoughby (Clitheroe) -OK they may, in the end, not be good enough but at least look at them-most have a useful long-term record. Clitheroe also appear to have signed Alex Newby -thought he was highly rated -why not enquire about him?
Paul Brennan

Postby Tempie » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:37 pm

The fact is Jordan Connerton was a goal machine in comparison to these two! I’ve said for along time that Matt needs to start being proactive rather that reactive. The goal scoring problem has been there since Christmas last year. Since and including the ashton game how many games would we have won without nick haughton? Even Harry Pratt he’s a big lad and will worry a centre back surely worthy of 10min. The last 2 games are 5 points dropped. Last night he changed the formation to kill the game. We ended up with 4 central midfielders and it nullified our best player because there was no space. Why could we have said ok Tamworth you can attack us but we attack you back and nick haughton is better than anything you’ve got. In other words you score 2 and we will score 3! That’s how fylde won this league!
Tempie

Postby man in the stand » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:11 pm

Alex Newby had an excellent 45 minutes for us, albeit against Euxton Villa in pre season, but was obviously deemed not a good fit, along with a number of others who looked pretty useful.
man in the stand

Postby chewy380 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:11 pm

Prodigal son wrote:Don't see how we will see anything better v Fleetwood, the ultra cautious Jansen will simply play O'Keefe in place of Haughton, we all know that is going to make the goals flow! Desperately hope I am way off the mark but can only see us getting well and truly turned over on Monday, whoever ends up in goal! The bench will be another one with no one that can change the game, can't understand why Roscoe stays, what does he have to do to even get 10 minutes these days, so no hope whatever for the U21's ever getting a run.

Agree with all of this. The 2 strikers are firing more blanks than a eunuch & Roscoe can't get 5 mins. Wilson scored 16 last season & when he playing further forward he was scoring for us. Baffling.

Does anyone know if there'll be any bar facilities for the hoi polloi in Monday?
chewy380

Postby andrewa » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:53 pm

Why did we sign the U21 players last month? None of them have had a chance even on the bench. My worry will be how will the management react after Monday? We do well, but lose - no change likely. We do badly it's - "we go again next week" - no change likely.
I don't get to matches, but it seems we would have been in deep trouble without the massive contribution made by Haughton, without him it would have been no goals, no midfield energy and a lowly position on the table. Although it's been great entertainment, we appear to have a team that is being carried by one player and major papering over the cracks going on.
andrewa

Postby metz » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:06 pm

andrewa wrote:Why did we sign the U21 players last month? None of them have had a chance even on the bench. My worry will be how will the management react after Monday? We do well, but lose - no change likely. We do badly it's - "we go again next week" - no change likely.
I don't get to matches, but it seems we would have been in deep trouble without the massive contribution made by Haughton, without him it would have been no goals, no midfield energy and a lowly position on the table. Although it's been great entertainment, we appear to have a team that is being carried by one player and major papering over the cracks going on.

The U21s signed last month to begin the next stage of their development. There is a gulf between the Galaxy Lancashire League and the National League North in terms of fitness and skill. They will be looking to train with the senior squad and may be loaned out to an Evostik side to play regularly at a higher level than they do currently, to learn the tricks of the trade in a senior squad.
Remember the U21s have played only 4 competitive matches since August so few if any would walk into the senior team right now
metz

Postby andrewa » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:00 pm

Thanks for that information Metz, that explains the situation very well.
andrewa

Postby chewy380 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:03 am

That also explains the Riscoe situation, he hasn't played any games since August. The pressure sores on his are keeping him out.
chewy380

Postby andrewa » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:23 am

Have to say I feel for Azam who seems a very decent player yet has continually sat on the bench with very little match time.
andrewa

Return to Chorley FC