Nuneaton game

Talk about the Magpies. Be respectful to others, no swearing, insulting posts or libellous remarks please.

Moderators: Ian Livesey, Pete Rothwell, Moderators

Nuneaton game

Postby Away days » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:51 pm

Odd game today.. tatically set up wrong. In the last few games teams know how to attack and beat us, by using the wings. Why does MJ not have a plan B ? Surely a home game against a low table team we should be attacking them ! So no need for 5 at the back...please oh please can we go back to using wingers... hughes looked amazing when he came on.. why he can only get a few minutes here and there is beyond me. Wilson again was lazy and gave the ball away to much. Young haughton was being played way out of position he couldnt get into the game... frustrated ....but why cant MJ realise what the crowd are crying out for.
Away days

Re: Nuneaton game

Postby mike1 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:31 am

Away days wrote:Odd game today.. tatically set up wrong. In the last few games teams know how to attack and beat us, by using the wings. Why does MJ not have a plan B ? Surely a home game against a low table team we should be attacking them ! So no need for 5 at the back...please oh please can we go back to using wingers... hughes looked amazing when he came on.. why he can only get a few minutes here and there is beyond me. Wilson again was lazy and gave the ball away to much. Young haughton was being played way out of position he couldnt get into the game... frustrated ....but why cant MJ realise what the crowd are crying out for.

Rather too much moaning here! I agree that the starting line-up was soon found wanting and we were being opened up too easily but the first substitution rectified that problem. Wilson actually contributed significantly when dropped back into midfield - and of course he scored the important first goal to bring us back into the game. Matty Hughes, the second sub, played the proverbial blinder when he came on and scored a superb equaliser. Can't agree more - he should start, he's quality. But let's be fair - this was a magnificent recovery after going two down and the excitement in that last half-hour was tangible. Great stuff from all behind the Pilling Lane end goal too! Some people may not have realised what Monday's heroic efforts must have taken out of the players and I for one was not in the least surprised to see us take a long time to really get to grips....but when we did...fantastic! Nuneaton were far better than their league position suggests - they were no mugs going forward and their new manager will surely have them climbing the table sooner rather than later. That second half to me was a terrific advert for non-league (proper) football. Finally, a word of praise for the officials at the club who organised such a moving and fitting tribute to the fallen prior to the match. It wouldn't have been bettered at grounds much higher up the pyramid. Well done and thank you.
mike1

Postby Prodigal son » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:29 am

Agree, Mike 1, Jansen does have a plan B and used it after 30 minutes when he replaced Jordan, Wilson filled the hole in midfield that Nuneaton were pouring through and we started to get back into the game. The introduction of Hughes was the real game changer, he was electric and took his chance to score brilliantly. I am sure we will see him start now, probably on Tuesday for a starter. Nuneaton looked dangerous going forward and broke very quickly, this is always difficult to control but how we didn't wrap up the 3 points at the end I can't imagine.
Very moving tribute before the game, very well done to the organisers.
Prodigal son

Postby andrewa » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:04 pm

Well lts hope MJ considers Matty Hughes up to match sharpness now and he gets a good run in the team.
andrewa

Postby Paul Brennan » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:38 pm

Agree with both Mike and P Son -Matt saw the need for change and went for it. Hughes must start in the league -he was exceptional in the time he was on. IMO he should replace Wilson.

On another note am I alone in finding the recent audioBoom interviews not as informative or interesting as they have been previously? Yesterday the interviewer seemed to struggle for questions -and those that were asked were "leading". Surely there are some obvious ones -verdict on the result, good points to highlight, areas to improve,explanation of substitution/change of formation decisions, updates on injuries, any possible additions to squad. Then add in some different ones as needed.
Come back Josh Vosper please.
Paul Brennan

Postby mike1 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:08 pm

Paul Brennan wrote:
On another note am I alone in finding the recent audioBoom interviews not as informative or interesting as they have been previously? Yesterday the interviewer seemed to struggle for questions -and those that were asked were "leading". Surely there are some obvious ones -verdict on the result, good points to highlight, areas to improve,explanation of substitution/change of formation decisions, updates on injuries, any possible additions to squad. Then add in some different ones as needed.
Come back Josh Vosper please.

As you say in effect, Paul, the interview is only as good as the questions. I felt that yesterday's opening question set the wrong tone, suggesting 'frustration' rather than emphasising the positive of the stirring fight-back. It clearly wasn't the first question Matt was expecting! More too could have been made of the impact on the players of the huge efforts put in against Fleetwood and the almost inevitable (certainly predictable) hangover and lack of early sharpness. Direct questions on the quality of Matty Hughes' goal and the vital saves by Matt Urwin would also have been worth asking. Urwin's performance only reinforced my view that if he had been in goal on Monday we would not have lost and might even have won.
mike1

Postby magpie1875 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:12 pm

Away days wrote:Odd game today.. tatically set up wrong. In the last few games teams know how to attack and beat us, by using the wings. Why does MJ not have a plan B ? Surely a home game against a low table team we should be attacking them ! So no need for 5 at the back...please oh please can we go back to using wingers... hughes looked amazing when he came on.. why he can only get a few minutes here and there is beyond me. Wilson again was lazy and gave the ball away to much. Young haughton was being played way out of position he couldnt get into the game... frustrated ....but why cant MJ realise what the crowd are crying out for.

No plan B? What game was you watching? Jordan off with Walker coming on after 30 minutes was plan B!

If only there was as many people posting when we won as there are when we don't this place would be a far better place to visit.
magpie1875

Postby Tempie » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:02 pm

I’m always being accused of moaning so I won’t disappoint! I thought it was 2 points dropped. The last league game was the same and we could and perhaps should have won the fleetwood game. So that’s 3 home games in a row that we should have won and didn’t. Matty Hughes should have been the first substitute used or he should have started in place of walker.

The fleetwood game was a great occasion for the club but yet again I came away feeling like we’d come up short tactically in the last 15min. To not use subs was bonkers imo! Matt said after the game that he didn’t have players to bring on. Well what does that say to the 7 subs?? It says “I think you lot aren’t good enough”! If Ian black isn’t good enough or fit enough to play 15min in a game like that why the hell is he at the club! Why don’t we go to lower club and get a young midfielder that can give 15 min of solid effort chasing every ball.

So yes whist we were very good for 20min at the end of the game yesterday it’s hsrd for me to see how that game can be taken as a positive. It’s 2 points dropped and 2 points further from promotion which is supposed to be the aim.
Tempie

Postby andrewa » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:38 pm

An interesting view of things Tempie, I was wondering what happened to Jordan Darr on Saturday after his short appearance against Fleetwood.
andrewa

Postby Tempie » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:05 pm

Yeah Andrew I do seem to see things differently. I still think I have valid points tho. I don’t know regarding Darr it was a strange sub against fleetwood especially as it was carver (who can hold the ball in a corner) rather than Walker that was subbed. Even more strange that he didn’t make the bench yesterday. I can’t work it out.
Tempie

Postby andrewa » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:58 pm

Although I can't actually agree with you Tempie ( because I wasn't there!) I suspect if I had been I would (agree that is.....) :D
I don't actually see differing viewpoints as whingeing or negative, it's just discussion at the end of the day. If anyone looks at some other club forums they will see real negativity!
andrewa

Postby mark » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:40 pm

Walker didn't start yesterday, Tempie, he came on for Jordan just after the half hour. I agree though that Hughes should be starting games if that is how he can play. I thought the subs yesterday were effective. I did wonder though if Darr might get another chance. It's strange to play him in the biggest game of the season ahead of more experienced players then give him nothing. Maybe he didn't train well. I wonder if he'll get a start on Tuesday.
mark
Site Admin

Postby Tempie » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:09 pm

Yes I know Walker didn’t start, what I meant was it should have been Hughes that started up top instead of him with Wilson in midfield.
Tempie

Postby Away days » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:29 pm

Im trying not to be too negative and will always be clapping the team off the field both home and away. However i do get frustrated at some of the glaring points that opposition are exploiting. Teams are targeting our wing backs because they are too far up field or often 2 on 1... spennymoor did it time and time again and so have others.... i would love the team to set up as 442 .... teague has been a revelation this season but we rely too much on the long ball from him.... jake has been a little off form recently even before the Fleetwood game.... but a midfield of cotterill holding, haughton given freedom to roam and get on the ball, matty hughes and jarvo wingers... carver spearheading because he can hold up a ball brilliantly and with wilson playing off him..... on another note where is kofi.... ? It would be good to give chally some competition to keep him on his toes...
Away days

Postby Prodigal son » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:08 pm

Read somewhere that Kofi had left the club "by mutual consent", presumably to get fame time somewhere.
Prodigal son

Postby Soapbox » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:58 am

It doesn't take long for the moaners to rear up again. Its not that their glasses are half empty, its that they don't even have a glass. It was expected that we would be a bit flat after Monday, but Matt realised that and changde the system at least 3 times. As for the call for Jarvis to play....come on, this level is way above his pay grade. He lacks pace, positional awareness and doesn't like a challenge. Matt knows what he is doing and where he wants to take the team. Lets be positive.
Soapbox

Postby Tempie » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:12 pm

Soapbox wrote:It doesn't take long for the moaners to rear up again. Its not that their glasses are half empty, its that they don't even have a glass. It was expected that we would be a bit flat after Monday, but Matt realised that and changde the system at least 3 times. As for the call for Jarvis to play....come on, this level is way above his pay grade. He lacks pace, positional awareness and doesn't like a challenge. Matt knows what he is doing and where he wants to take the team. Lets be positive.

Does he though?! Are we really any better than last season, have we addressed the problems that we had last year? Decisions like signing kofi, black and Hughes (then not playing him) don’t strike me as well thought out decisions that are part of a master plan! More likely with kofi he got caught out with an agents you tube video and then realised he was rubbish once he’d signed.
Tempie

Postby JP » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:45 pm

On a slightly different note, i have been into the sponsors lounge now twice after the match and both times thoroughly enjoyed myself. The singers have both been good and well worth stopping in the club for.
Last edited by JP on Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JP
MIS Prediction League Winner 2015/16

Postby Soapbox » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:59 pm

We are Better than last season. We have more options which enable us to flex the formation easier. Kofi wasn't signed as a result of a YouTube video - he trained with the team for weeks before being signed. Do you not think Houghton and Unwin have improved the team?
Black is apparently well short of fitness and was signed with new year play off push in mind. Hughes, hopefully, will now get a run in the side alongside Carver. Don't forget Hughes was also short of fitness and has just returned to the squad after a 3 match ban.
Soapbox

Postby Ed » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:39 pm

In general on subject of MJ not seeing what fans see... watching from the stands or on tv (more please ) I sometimes wonder if the manager on the touchline sees the pattern of play that a higher vantage point might give him.
Against Fleetwood it was obvious from the camera side (opposite to MJ) that Cotterell - who played well up to that tackle - had slowed a lot and perhaps needed substituting.
It left Fleetwood with gaps on their right to exploit, even with 10 men. Both their goals came from attacks through an area Cotterell had previously blocked up effectively.
Ed

Postby Tempie » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:24 pm

Ed wrote:In general on subject of MJ not seeing what fans see... watching from the stands or on tv (more please ) I sometimes wonder if the manager on the touchline sees the pattern of play that a higher vantage point might give him.
Against Fleetwood it was obvious from the camera side (opposite to MJ) that Cotterell - who played well up to that tackle - had slowed a lot and perhaps needed substituting.
It left Fleetwood with gaps on their right to exploit, even with 10 men. Both their goals came from attacks through an area Cotterell had previously blocked up effectively.

Ed that is exactly my point! Jake was running on empty and if Ian black isn’t fit enough to come on and put himself about for 15min he shouldn’t be at the club it’s as simple as that! I’d bet my bottom dollar he wanted to come on!! The buck stops with him he shouldn’t be moaning about lack of quality on the bench when he signs them!

I want to make it clear that off the pitch the club is making great progress and seems to have a clear plan and the long term prospects look good but on the pitch we seem to have a manager who’s still learning but doesn’t seem to be learning quick enough. I’m really not sure there is a clear plan! I think we signed Hughes because he was available without having a plan of where he was going to play
Tempie

Postby andrewa » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:46 pm

I think there has been a succession of signings who were taken on because they were "there". The ratio of signings to matches played by them has to be incredibly low. The leaving rate for players signed like this I would think is also very high. Of course this, up until Haughton and Urwin, was also true when it came to loan players.
andrewa

Postby chewy380 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:33 pm

Has Kofi left? Nothing on OWS.
chewy380

Postby mike1 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:55 am

[quote="Ed"]In general on subject of MJ not seeing what fans see... watching from the stands or on tv (more please ) I sometimes wonder if the manager on the touchline sees the pattern of play that a higher vantage point might give him.

The higher vantage-point you mention is often taken by Smudge and his view from there no doubt contributed to the successful tactical substitution made quite early in the Nuneaton game. Our management team work as a team and I wouldn't swap them for any other. It's all about opinions, of course, but there is far too much negativity on this forum quite frankly. Though readers might be led to think so from comments on here, we aren't in the bottom six or even the bottom half of the table. We've just had the most successful - and lucrative - FA Cup run in 27 years. Ask other managers: Chorley and its management team are hugely respected by our rivals in National North. I know we all want progress and to be in the promotion play-offs again but some people need to be careful what they wish for. Are we honestly ready just yet to be operating on the top deck? Maybe in a year or two I'd suggest, bearing in mind the progress off the field. As for a plan I can safely say that the management are planning and looking forward all the while - to deal, for example, with issues which may arise in the New Year. Why not try getting off their backs? The brilliant centrefold photo of the Fleetwood match crowd in the Nuneaton programme should be a source of pride to all true Magpies! Enjoy the good times!
mike1

Postby Away days » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:26 am

Surely the whole point of a forum is to discuss and debate both the good and the bad ? We cant just blindly follow, forums are there to stoke a debate with differing opinions. If people gloss over inadequacies then we will never improve. Yes we are doing well in the league but again i think we play to our opposition's level. Man for man our team is better than most yet we raise ourselves for the big games i.e kiddy and york, however then play terrible against spennymoor , Curzon and BPA. Again i think teams are finding us out tatically and our only other option is 433. with the speed up front that we have we are crying out for counter attacking football with wingers. However all said and done i think vermo MJ and smudge are doing an amazing job with our resources, and its great to see the club building on its sucess responsibly and honestly, not like Salford or Harrogate who would sell their souls at the 1st chance..... as we all know "you can't buy this.... you can't buy this......we're chorley fc....you cant buy this"
Away days

Postby Ian Livesey » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:23 pm

magpie1875 wrote:

No plan B? What game was you watching? Jordan off with Walker coming on after 30 minutes was plan B!

If only there was as many people posting when we won as there are when we don't this place would be a far better place to visit.

Sometimes MJ is better off starting with Plan B?
Ian Livesey
Site Admin

Postby Ian Livesey » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:27 pm

Soapbox wrote:It doesn't take long for the moaners to rear up again. Its not that their glasses are half empty, its that they don't even have a glass. It was expected that we would be a bit flat after Monday, but Matt realised that and changde the system at least 3 times. As for the call for Jarvis to play....come on, this level is way above his pay grade. He lacks pace, positional awareness and doesn't like a challenge. Matt knows what he is doing and where he wants to take the team. Lets be positive.

Why is he still here then? Is he a contract player?
Ian Livesey
Site Admin

Postby Tempie » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:52 pm

Exactly Ian! He’s had 2 and half years to get rid of him if he doesn’t think he’s good enough! The truth is I’m not convinced he know who is and who isn’t good enough. In response to the so called tactical changes in the recent games. Going 442 with 4 central midfielders only serves to nullify our best player. By crowding the middle of the pitch we are deny nick the space he thrives on. We only looked good against Nuneaton when Hughes cane on and we went 433. He only did that because we were 2-0 down. We should be starting that way against poor teams at home.
Tempie

Postby magpie1875 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:54 pm

Up to now, we've "celebrated" our FA Cup acheivement sof running a leading League One sidethe Fleetwood game with 17 posts on the relevant thread on here, while Saturday's draw has amassed 27 posts.

Our win against FCUM got 9 responses while Tamworth and Spennymoor's results attracted 16 and 11 respectively.

What does this say about the average opinion of the average post in here?
magpie1875

Postby andrewa » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:25 pm

Human nature, when we do well everyone feels good so no need to post, when we lose people are angry/ frustrated and feel they have to chip in their opinions and let off steam.
andrewa

Next

Return to Chorley FC